Budget? - Pretty cheap. Probably max $450 but he wants to spend less.

Genres? - Alt rock. Favorite bands are Cage The Elephant, Black Keys, and Tokyo Police Club. Playing a lot of clean stuff so needs decent headroom to cut through w/ a drummer if necessary.

New or Used? - Either one.

Home or Gig? - Both. Small gigs though.

Closest City? - Madison, WI

Current Gear? - Orange CrushPiX 20 watt fx and Squier M-80.

So far he's been looking at a Crate Palomino V16 on Craigslist for $225. He tried out a Jet City combo and didn't like it that much. Also been looking at a Blackheart Handsome Devil and Bugera V22.
Well, I personally would suggest a Peavey Vypyr, of what ever size you like, about 30W? Can manage pretty much any sound you're going for to a reasonable extent. They're kind of a jack of all trades, master of none amp. I think they're pretty reliable too.
(Well mine's lasted long enough)
Just do the obvious,; shop around, try out stuff in a local shop and find what works for you/him best.
Quote by Air_Stryker
Well, I personally would suggest a Peavey Vypyr, of what ever size you like, about 30W? Can manage pretty much any sound you're going for to a reasonable extent. They're kind of a jack of all trades, master of none amp. I think they're pretty reliable too.
(Well mine's lasted long enough)
Just do the obvious,; shop around, try out stuff in a local shop and find what works for you/him best.

I'm pretty sure he wants a tube amp and not a modeling amp. That's not too much better than what he has now anyway.
I guess the Tube 60 Vypyr is an option but I don't know how good it is for indie/alternative genre as it gets recommended mostly for metal.
Last edited by Polar13 at Dec 10, 2011,
Check out a second hand Jet City JCA20 and a 1x12. I second the Vyper as well.

Edit: Scratch that. If he didn't like the combo, he probably won't like the half stack.
Last edited by jmaguire at Dec 10, 2011,
I would probably not recommend a Vypyr, but maybe a Vox AC15C1 or Fender DeVille Hotrod/Deluxe. I can't really see a Jet City fitting his tastes.

Speaking of Tokyo Police Club, they came to my city once, and my cousin's band opened for them.
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
-AC15 used. He's going to have look on craigslist to find it for $450 though.
-Blues Jr. Easily had for $300 used.

Really he could find either in that price range. Tell him to try both and see which clean he likes better, since you can always get an overdrive pedal, which both amps take very well.

The Blues Jr is considerably lighter and more portable though, not too mention much cheaper.