So i'll be living in an apartment for a while and i've been toying with the idea of getting a lunchbox amp (specifically the orange dark terror or the new mesa mini rectifier) for quieter playing and just pure ease of transporting to play with friends.

However, I had a realization that i could just get guitar rig 5 and run it through some monitors or headphones which would take care of the noise factor. I have an old Roland cube that i could still use for practice with friends or maybe i could use my laptop and just bring a 1*12 to go through guitar pro (input guys?).

What do you guys think on:

1. Will the lunchboxes be quiet enough?

2. Is guitar rig 5 worth it/ a better choice over the lunchboxes?

3. Could guitar rig 5 be used "on the go" effectively?

Money isn't really an issue right now and I think it could be nice to have something like guitar rig to make recording/demoing a possibility in my apartment. BTW i mostly play modern metal like BTBAM and Black Dahlia Murder. Any advice on any of these guys? Thanks for reading.
I have been using Guitar Rig since Guitar Rig 3, and I have found it to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. I use it 95% of the time when practicing at home.

I normally use a 50W Mesa Stiletto Ace for band practice or jamming, but while I was having some work done on the Stiletto I used Guitar Rig 4. It worked quite well - I just plugged into one of my monitors and I was set.

Also, as far as recording, Guitar Rig is great for when I have inspiration hit at 3 AM, and I just can't play through my normal rig due to neighbors.

Overall, I would recommend Guitar Rig 5 more than a Lunchbox Amp IF you are just going to use it primarily for practice or to jam with. However, due to potential computer problems I wouldn't recommend using Guitar Rig 5 at an actual gig.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
My vote goes to Guitar Rig 5. It provides the best digital sound to date in my opinion and it gives you a huge amount of sound options for a relatively small price. The only thing I find with it, is that you also need a set of pretty sweet headphones to match, otherwise you lose a lot of your tone.
Guitar Rig 5 has the versatility although the Mini Recto / Dark Terror will provide far better tones.

As you have said, money isn't an issue, so there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't pick up a Mini Recto and run it through your 1960a.

Setting up Guitar Rig for jam sessions and such may take a little longer than usual, although I couldn't imagine it taking too long.

Although, if you're also interested in recording, perhaps Guitar Rig may be the smarter option in the long run. Micing up a cab at whisper volumes isn't really what you would call ideal.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mahabajaba
My vote goes to Guitar Rig 5. It provides the best digital sound to date in my opinion and it gives you a huge amount of sound options for a relatively small price. The only thing I find with it, is that you also need a set of pretty sweet headphones to match, otherwise you lose a lot of your tone.

Luckily i've already got a set of akg mkii 240's which are friken sweet. I was considering trying to run it through my surround sound system for the hell of it though.
Quote by Xeron Brigs
I have been using Guitar Rig since Guitar Rig 3, and I have found it to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. I use it 95% of the time when practicing at home.

I normally use a 50W Mesa Stiletto Ace for band practice or jamming, but while I was having some work done on the Stiletto I used Guitar Rig 4. It worked quite well - I just plugged into one of my monitors and I was set.

Also, as far as recording, Guitar Rig is great for when I have inspiration hit at 3 AM, and I just can't play through my normal rig due to neighbors.

Overall, I would recommend Guitar Rig 5 more than a Lunchbox Amp IF you are just going to use it primarily for practice or to jam with. However, due to potential computer problems I wouldn't recommend using Guitar Rig 5 at an actual gig.

Wow its good to hear something like that. I'm definitely falling into the practice area and i doubt i'll be gigging any time soon so its looking like guitar pro might deserve more research. Thanks for the advice
why not both ... ???

try free amp simulation like LEPOU .. best simulation so far and cost nothing . dude dont pay for software .

or grab the software on torrent . not legal .. but who really cares .
i wouldnt spend 2 $ on guitar rig when theres many free sim out there and that the whole amp sim software have been cracked (torrent ) .

ohh and i sleep very well !!

download guitar rig 5 and buy the lunchbox .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Skysc
why not both ... ???

try free amp simulation like LEPOU .. best simulation so far and cost nothing . dude dont pay for software .

i wouldnt spend 2 $ on guitar rig when theres many free sim out there and that the whole amp sim software have been cracked (torrent ) .

Wow. Your such a cool person. I hope that I grow up to be just like you.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Skysc
why not both ... ???

And put people who worked months on developing and designing the software out of a job?

Cool idea dude.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by firebird103
So i'll be living in an apartment for a while and i've been toying with the idea of getting a lunchbox amp (specifically the orange dark terror or the new mesa mini rectifier) for quieter playing and just pure ease of transporting to play with friends.

However, I had a realization that i could just get guitar rig 5 and run it through some monitors or headphones which would take care of the noise factor. I have an old Roland cube that i could still use for practice with friends or maybe i could use my laptop and just bring a 1*12 to go through guitar pro (input guys?).

Money isn't really an issue right now and I think it could be nice to have something like guitar rig to make recording/demoing a possibility in my apartment. BTW i mostly play modern metal like BTBAM and Black Dahlia Murder. Any advice on any of these guys? Thanks for reading.

Get the Lunchbox amp for sure, then get a copy of Amplitube 3 FREE.
The sound and response is generally better than GR5, and there's more than enough stuff included in the free version for most recording and practice use.
Quote by kyle62
Get the Lunchbox amp for sure, then get a copy of Amplitube 3 FREE.
The sound and response is generally better than GR5, and there's more than enough stuff included in the free version for most recording and practice use.

Amplitude 3 Free looks interesting, but i don't think it would provide the tonal diversification i'm looking for (i only saw a lead brit/"marshall" amp for distorted tones) and i don't think that would be quite enough to cover the "heavier" tones.
Quote by Skysc
why not both ... ???

Promoting software piracy can get you banned. Just a heads up.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by firebird103

Interesting question.

1.) Probably. Most low wattage amps that I've played have a strange "minimum volume" before the treble and presence kick in. Be sure to test it at the store to be sure that the volume at which this happens is acceptable for you.

I could be wrong but I think that this has to do with the fact that most low wattage amps use El84 tubes. I've never experienced this on high wattage amps.

Yes, the louder you get an amp the better it will sound, but many will sound great at a whisper.

2.) GR5 will never sound as good, nor will it feel as good as a real amp. This is especially true as you start to get it up louder. That said, it's hugely versatile has tons of amps and effects that you normally wouldn't have access to. Also it's much easier to use to record simple ideas and it's far more portable (if you've got a laptop) than an amp.

3.) Yep. They even sell controller rigs that you can use to play live.

------------------

My personal thoughts....

I would never trade an amp for modeling despite the many many advantages there are to going in that direction. The sacrifice in tone and more importantly feel are just not worth it to me.

However, if money is no object... Look for a used Axe FX... I've seen them go for $1000-1500 on craigslist. They have all the convenience of Guitar Rig, and very nearly the right feel and sound of a real amp.

Also, check out Overloud TH-2. It's a program similar to Guitar Rig and Amplitube, but IMO both the clean and super hi gain tones are much better. Be warned though, it's not nearly as user friendly.
Quote by firebird103
Amplitude 3 Free looks interesting, but i don't think it would provide the tonal diversification i'm looking for (i only saw a lead brit/"marshall" amp for distorted tones) and i don't think that would be quite enough to cover the "heavier" tones.

In that case, buy one or two amps from the gear store. It'll probably cost you $20 or so and you can 'test drive' every piece of gear first. Much better business model than 'spend a fortune on a ton of amps you'll never need or use'.

However, if money is no object... Look for a used Axe FX... I've seen them go for $1000-1500 on craigslist. They have all the convenience of Guitar Rig, and very nearly the right feel and sound of a real amp.

Also, check out Overloud TH-2. It's a program similar to Guitar Rig and Amplitube, but IMO both the clean and super hi gain tones are much better. Be warned though, it's not nearly as user friendly.

Couldn't you just get the plugins from TH-2 and use them through guitar rig? The big advantage to guitar rig or amplitube is the ease of use which really makes it attractive.

Idk if Axe FX would be good for me YET (because of all the expenses that would go with it), although i'm definitely going to research this thing some more. Thanks for the introduction to it, i didn't realize this is what Periphery are running now.
Last edited by firebird103 at Dec 11, 2011,