Hey so by after Christmas, I'm looking to be able to replace my rp355 with a pedal setup, and was wondering what ones are generally good or not, for what i want.

I'm new to individual pedals, and one thing I don't want is over saturated "UBER GAINY FIZZY METAL ULTRA TONE" or whatever. I'm looking for a good modern rock tone, that doesn't have a ton of fizz on it. Look up Relient K, something like the tone of that, maybe a little more gain sometimes. I've checked out some boss pedals, and they just seem... beginner like? even the expensive ones feel and look "cheap". The Digitech Hardwire valve distortion looks really nice, and sounds pretty good, but it looks like it might sound digitally compared to others, I couldn't tell at first though.

Also, I'm going to be getting a tube amp soon (Jet City 22h? Blackstar ht20? carvin v3m? Vox AC15?) so should I get an overdrive in preparation for getting a nice amp? I still might be using the pedals without the amp live though.

So basically ill be looking into OD/Dist/Delay/Reverb/ and stuff. so what brands are known to sound very nice/modern and not very tone killing?

sorry for rambling a little
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
I recently delved into the same situation so I'd like to think I have a lot of good credibility here. We have very similar tastes too, I don't really like the Boss pedals either. You're gonna find that there are a myriad of pedals out there at random prices with random names with random sounds. So many in fact, that its nearly impossible to get a good solid recommendation. The best way is to just research them yourself. Go into a store and try out every pedal that appeals to you, even if its just because its in a pretty color. Another great idea is to look around online and see what gear your favorite artists use, they're usually very easy to find. For instance, here is the rig Matt Hoopes uses:

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/490-relient-k-matt-hoopes-guitar-rig-gear-and-equipment

Some sites like that will even go into more detail and list what gear was used on certain songs. Youtube is also a great place to check out pedals, most will have a review. Also be sure to check out used pedals. They're just as good as new ones at nearly 1/3 the cost. Major stores like Guitar Center have thousands of them avialable online.

Now thats rambling... lol best of luck!!
Not sure what your exact budget is, but I've got a few recommendations.

The Black Arts Black Forest Overdrive was the first thing that popped into my head after reading your post. Might be exactly what you want if you are looking for more of a "throaty" kind of distorted sound. Once the gain is close to being dimed, it takes on a more fuzz-style sound, which may or may not be what you want. It's also a little loose in low end, so it might not be the best if you happen to palm mute a whole lot while playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ko0fjHhpT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWwaHZ1q0p4

A Robert Keeley modded Rat is another great pedal. While I don't own one myself, I have compared it side to side with my 1983 Rat, and the tone is quite similar. It's a very versatile pedal that can do anything from light Bluesy overdrive to Doom Metal, and it cuts through in a mix quite well. The tones you get out of it also have a lot to do with your amp settings, so you might need to tweak your EQ a little bit. You will probably have to end up buying a Rat pedal and then send it in to Keeley to do the mod, so it might take some time to get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VbWX1h-irM

Also, you might just want to do with the tried and true method of placing a Tube Screamer (Ibanez or one of the various clones) in front of your tube amp to tighten up your amp's distorted tone. Basically you just use the volume for a boost to drive the input harder and then adjust tone to taste while keeping the drive at zero. This will tighten up the low end and also will boost the mids a little bit to make your amp cut through the mix better. If you want a super tight somewhat metal tone, I would recommend it. I keep this pedal on all the time when I play distorted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0G2zIWFXic&feature=related

Those should at least get you started.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
My distortion pedal is a Rocktron Rampage. I love it, but I've never really heard much about it so I'm not sure if it's for everyone. But I've always thought that one advantage to a less popular pedal is that it sounds different, not the same as everyone, great as the popular ones may be.
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
For an OD, it's hard to beat the Ibanez Tube Screamer or Maxxon OD808 or OD9.It will also work as a clean boost to an overdriven tube amp. For a distortion sound, the BOSS DS1, and the Pro Co RAT 2 are awesome.
For Delay if you want something digital, I would go with the BOSS DD7 (there is nothing cheap about BOSS pedals), for an analog delay, I would look at the MXR Carbon Copy.

For chorus, I would look at the Small Clone Chorus.

For reverb, I've heard good things about the Digitech handwired series reverb.

The thing to look for in pedals is true bypass. This means it will not muddy the chain up. What that does is basically turn the pedal completely off so there is no tone coloration.

As for Digital pedals vs. Analog, Analog pedals will have more of a vintage feel to them, they will sound warmer as well. Digital pedals might not sound as warm, but they will undoubtedly have more options and tonal variations.

Another thing to consider is pedal power. You should invest in a good powered pedalboard, (BOSS and SKB make nice ones) or get a good pedal power supply (like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power or Dunlop Powerbrick) Not only will it save money in the long run, but it will help supply clean power to your pedals and keep them operating they way they should for a long time. It will pay for itself over 9volts in a years or so.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
alright thanks for the info. the black forrest does seem a little lose on the low end for my taste btw.

are the digitech hardwire pedals digital?
Yes, all digitech pedals are digital. I would also look into danelectro. They have some great stuff. I would honestly suggest a dd-3 over a 7 because I prefer the tone that comes from that. I would also say look into EHX stuff. They make great delays/ods/etc.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
the barber dirty bomb is good for higher gain stuff, you can turn it down and get a more rock tone. i would get a lower gain overdrive like a fulltone ocd or a maxon tubescreamer. for delay i'd say a dd-3 or if you want alot of different modes so you can find analog simulation/digital modes the tc electronic flashback delay is good.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
The Boss Blues Driver is a really good pedal and it has a heavier distortion than the tubE screamer 9. And if you want a new amp you should get the Peavey 6505 it even has a good clean channel and a totally brutal crunch channel.
whats the difference between these, im kidn of confused.

the differences between, Tube, SS, Analog, Digital, Multifx digital. and which is "ideal" for pedals? What kinds of sounds are good or bad for each of these
Quote by Diesel Weasel
whats the difference between these, im kidn of confused.

the differences between, Tube, SS, Analog, Digital, Multifx digital. and which is "ideal" for pedals? What kinds of sounds are good or bad for each of these

I mentioned some of this in my post. Digital will sound, well, digital. It will sound a bit sterile. Analog pedals will sound warmer. It doesn't really matter whether it is a multi or single pedal. There aren't that many tube pedals out there but they will have that "tube" sound (warm and natural). Solid State means the power section is solid state. Most pedals will be solid state technically, but that doesn't matter really.

As far as what is "best" is really up to you. They are all mostly good pedals.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by jjbarnes
Yes, all digitech pedals are digital.

Nope, Digitech make both digital and analogue pedals. The Hardwire ones are analogue except the delay and the reverb.
Quote by Sampy
Nope, Digitech make both digital and analogue pedals. The Hardwire ones are analogue except the delay and the reverb.

this is correct. the Hardwire pedals are an excellent choice.

i'd wait until you got the amp before worrying about getting a pedal. your needs may vary according to what amp you get. you may find that something like a Jet City will have enough distortion on tap but a Vox AC series amp wouldn't.
Alright I think i get it. And I think I'll wait until I decide on an amp too.

I'm really liking the looks of the hardwires and would like to try em out. Also, I've seen this Jekyll and Hyde pedal, which could be really nice for using straight into a pa, when i play at places that dont have mic setups for amps.
ANY Tube amp with a 12, and a Fulltone OCD. End of story.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage