I picked one up today at GC for $20 used. The list price was $120 and it sounded pretty nice so I couldn't turn it down. It was definitely not a real "metal" pedal, but the distortion was still good for like 70s rock.

I'm somewhat familiar with the brand but never heard of this pedal before, so I'm still a bit skeptical about my purchase. Google and youtube don't tell me too much about it either. Anybody ever come across one of these before? Any insight?

Thanks!
I've never used one before, but the clip on YouTube I watched seems to suggest that it is more of a treble-booster style circuit and not the typical "metal" sound you expect.

BBE makes some pretty reliable stuff, so if you like the tone you get out of it then you shouldn't worry too much about the pedal itself.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Sputnik1
Google provided many links about the pedal. You lie.

I never said that there weren't a lot of links, just that none of them really had much to say about it. I thought I'd try and get a little insight from some of the awesome experts over here at UG, but unfortunately I got you
Quote by Xeron Brigs
I've never used one before, but the clip on YouTube I watched seems to suggest that it is more of a treble-booster style circuit and not the typical "metal" sound you expect.

BBE makes some pretty reliable stuff, so if you like the tone you get out of it then you shouldn't worry too much about the pedal itself.

I wasn't aware that there was such a variation for a 'metal' pedal, this clears up a lot of my confusion surrounding this thing. I do like the tone I get out of it though, just another fun dirtbox to mess around with. Thanks for the reply!
Quote by Picklelerner
I never said that there weren't a lot of links, just that none of them really had much to say about it. I thought I'd try and get a little insight from some of the awesome experts over here at UG, but unfortunately I got you

There are Youtube videos, other threads including reviews from countless other forums, and even a schematic of the pedal itself. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Are you not seeing the same pages that I am?
https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=bbe+american+metal
I also have this pedal and as you said, it is very 70's-80's rock (which was the tone I was going for). From what I have read, the circuit is very similar to the Marshall Guv'nor. I like it, but it is definitely not metal in the modern sense.
Quote by Sputnik1
There are Youtube videos, other threads including reviews from countless other forums, and even a schematic of the pedal itself. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Are you not seeing the same pages that I am?
https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=bbe+american+metal

Holy crap dude I was kidding. What I wanted was to see what people here had to say about it, thats sort of the point of this site. I could spend 20 minutes searching through google and visiting random websites looking at schematics I may or may not understand or I could just come here where I always am, take a minute to make a thread, and then see what UGers have to say about it. I'm pretty sure thats the background story to nearly every question ever posted on here.... Your comment was just completely unnecessary.

This site has become such a gamble, you either get people who help you no matter how stupid or simple they think your question is or someone who shoots you down just for asking something.
Quote by Picklelerner
Holy crap dude I was kidding. What I wanted was to see what people here had to say about it, thats sort of the point of this site. I could spend 20 minutes searching through google and visiting random websites looking at schematics I may or may not understand or I could just come here where I always am, take a minute to make a thread, and then see what UGers have to say about it. I'm pretty sure thats the background story to nearly every question ever posted on here.... Your comment was just completely unnecessary.

This site has become such a gamble, you either get people who help you no matter how stupid or simple they think your question is or someone who shoots you down just for asking something.

Spend hours waiting for responses or spend 20 minutes. What ever floats your boat dude.

I'm sorry you felt the need to create a thread when you could do your own work/research. Seems like no one can think for themselves any more!
I'm also sorry that someone came in and stated the truth. I'll leave you alone.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by Sputnik1
Spend hours waiting for responses or spend 20 minutes. What ever floats your boat dude.

I'm sorry you felt the need to create a thread when you could do your own work/research. Seems like no one can think for themselves any more!
I'm also sorry that someone came in and stated the truth. I'll leave you alone.

People can think for themselves, asking for advice / information is a good thing and is why the gear forum exists on UG. If you dislike that then you should stop posting on the gear forum as the sole purpose is mainly for threads such as these.