Skip to the next paragraph if you don't care about the background story. I have a BMW that my wife has been driving. In the spring my truck will be paid off, and we were going to go get her an SUV, or something that has more room because we have a 1 year old and a dog and the beemer just isn't a very good family car. However the car has become too small, because now my daughter can actually reach us while she's in her carseat (it's a rear facing one and she's about 10lbs away from it being turned into a front facing one). she's gotten into the habit of pulling on ears and hair when she wants attention. don't worry i grounded her. So the wife has had enough, she's decided that we're going to sell the car and she's going to put the money towards a downpayment on an SUV. I've had it for sale for about a month, and was about to accept a low-ball offer when I got another offer. the other offer was only a few hundred lower than what I was asking, while the offer my wife knows about was almost 2 grand lower.

Long story short, I feel like i'm getting the shaft because I love the car and it was going to be my toy in the spring, so i'm going to take the extra money that my wife doesn't know about anyways and spend it on a new guitar. then i'm going to rub my **** and balls all over the guitar so there's absolutely no way the store will let me return it. pathetic, right? don't get married.

I already have a les paul and 4 acoustics. I'm going to be looking at fenders mainly, because i've never owned one. I'd like to hear your suggestions as to what you would buy if you had a couple grand to spend.

Thanks for your input.
You grounded a 1 year old?

On topic, the best Fender I've ever played is the Yngwie Malmsteeen sig. If you can get past the scalloped neck, it plays fantastically.
Yeah. for like a year. that'll teach her.

what was different about that one?

I've avoided fenders completely because of all the cheap imitations there are...and i don't even like the looks of them. But i feel like i'm missing out on something because they're so popular...kind of like a chevy man who's never driven a ford.

I am however leaning towards getting a PRS and using it for drop tuning.

Man i feel like a kid in a candy store right now. I love spending money the wife doesn't know about.
If you're into relics, Nash guitars makes pretty good ones. I've personally never played one, but I cannot find a negative review of them, other than they're not everyone's taste. However, I love the tone that I've heard from them.
If i get a strat it will probably be a fender, or maybe a G&L

also there's nowhere near my location that sells nash guitars...the closest place they listed as a retail outlet doesn't have any listed

I don't even play metal but this looks cool. Dean Dime Razorback...offered the guy 400$
If PRS is being considered, you might could find an older 513 for a little more than two grand.

If it were me, though, and I just had the money to blow and already had a good Les Paul, I'd go for a Tele over a Strat any day. Probably something with a sunburst, three pickups and some swanky body binding.
a 513 would be my dream guitar, in all honesty...but i think i'd be scared to touch it.

I know deep down this is a nice guitar

but i think i've been brainwashed by my love of gibson products into not liking the look of it.
I know the feeling. I've only just begun to throw off my shackles and lust after Strats, and I'm still very picky about them.

You might could go for a nice hollowbody, or something more radical from Gibson - a Firebird, a Flying V, or Explorer.
Now there's an idea

I wonder what kind of gretsch i could find on the used market
their prices have dropped almost as low as my chin when i saw i could have one brand new for 600$
Just throwing this into the mix, but do you have a nice amp? Guitars are awesome to get and play, but being able to sound ****ing awesome is much more rewarding in the long run.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
then i'm going to rub my **** and balls all over the guitar

Then you should DEFINITELY avoid any "pointy" guitars, otherwise, you may risk injury, like a partial "Brazillian" or even an unintentional "Prince Albert".
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Offworld92
Just throwing this into the mix, but do you have a nice amp? Guitars are awesome to get and play, but being able to sound ****ing awesome is much more rewarding in the long run.

I've thought of that too. I'm trying to find a balance between nice and loud. Right now I have a marshall mg15cd and a peavey studio chorus 210. the marshall is nice but quiet and the peavey is "ok" but loud.

I don't want anything that shakes the walls...but i'm definitely not happy with what i have right now. one of my friends has a vox amp that's like 4 watts, but its a tube amp and sounds pretty good for its size. I'll probably check that out later.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Then you should DEFINITELY avoid any "pointy" guitars, otherwise, you may risk injury, like a partial "Brazillian" or even an unintentional "Prince Albert".

i'll be sure it has a pick guard but not a dick guard
If you make a thread over in GG&A answering these questions https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138, we can help you out and find something.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Fender HotRod III. It's a 40 watt. Small enough for my dorm room, but I can still crank it.