Page 1 of 2
What do you think they would say if you could send a piece of actual (1960-2010) music back to the past so they could listen to it?
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
They'd probably start grindin' up on each other and shit.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
It would be completely alien to them. I bet if I heard music from 2400 I'd be a little, well, scared.
I think the more interesting question here is, if you could send back 1 album, which, and why? To freak them out? To annoy them? To inspire them?

EDIT: I would maybe send back some Hans Zimmer soundtrack. Show them that there would still be orchestral music, but that people would find new ways to use an orchestra.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Last edited by kaptkegan at Dec 11, 2011,
I'd send them Green Day, just to show them what all their hard work has accomplished (nothing).
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
beethoven would be indifferent

because he's deaf

and dead
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Probably something like this, except with violins and stuff.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Svennz
What do you think they would say if you could send a piece of actual (1960-2010) music back to the past so they could listen to it?

Implying pre-1960s isn't real music?

Anyways I would probably show them some pop song demonstrating what we can do with technology now, then probably some Beatles song to show what the most popular band of all time sounds like.
West Ham United
They would probably think it's simple and watered down.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
If we were to send them straight up sheet music, I would have to believe a lot of metal would entice their interests. They would probably look at jazz all like "what the fuck is this shit?".
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by kaptkegan
I think the more interesting question here is, if you could send back 1 album, which, and why? To freak them out? To annoy them? To inspire them?

EDIT: I would maybe send back some Hans Zimmer soundtrack. Show them that there would still be orchestral music, but that people would find new ways to use an orchestra.

"I see, in the future they rely on orchestral percussion and excessive brass to make epic-sounding music?"
Quote by King Donkey
Implying pre-1960s isn't real music?

TS is from mexico, which I guess means that spanish is his first language. In spanish, "actual" can also mean "current".

🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Dec 11, 2011,
probably that it was the work of the devil. a lot of them atleast.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by entity0009
"I see, in the future they rely on orchestral percussion and excessive brass to make epic-sounding music?"

TS is from mexico, which I guess means that spanish is his first language. In spanish, "actual" can also mean "current".

That's right! I totally meant what you said. Being a jazz man, I would never say music created before 1960 isn't real music!

:EDIT: Besides, isn't the word 'actual' some kind of synonym for 'current'? When talking about date and time.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Last edited by Svennz at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by Svennz
That's right! I totally meant what you said. Being a jazz man, I would never say music created before 1960 isn't real music!

:EDIT: Besides, isn't the word 'actual' some kind of synonym for 'current'? When talking about date and time.

It sort of is, but most people tend to interpret it as "real" or "proper" or whatever, as you've seen
🙈 🙉 🙊
this thread sucks

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I imagine the response would be a mixture of:

"I say, hast thou no shame at all?"
"What instrument is making most of these sounds!?"

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Xiaoxi
this thread sucks

Agreed.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Even though none of that actually sounds anything like 'modern music' on the whole...

You can recycle a plastic bottle into anything. It's pretty god damn similar in music.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
If we were to send them straight up sheet music, I would have to believe a lot of metal would entice their interests. They would probably look at jazz all like "what the fuck is this shit?".

I think they would be more like, "Parallel fifths! EVERYWHERE!"
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Bach was a massive troll. He used parallel 5ths

But were they ERRYWARE!?

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
But were they ERRYWARE!?

In a few works he's using parallel 5ths and 4ths. Art of Fugue for example has many parallel 5ths, as well as modality, to evoke older music. It's interesting that in one of his last works, he went back in time rather than forward (although it's both). Also, parallel 5ths used in rock/metal guitar parts aren't really parallel 5ths. The 5ths just re-enforce the overtones of the root to give it a more powerful sound. Even in rock, real (contrapuntal) parallel 5ths sound out of place.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
In a few works he's using parallel 5ths and 4ths. Art of Fugue for example has many parallel 5ths, as well as modality, to evoke older music. It's interesting that in one of his last works, he went back in time rather than forward (although it's both). Also, parallel 5ths used in rock/metal guitar parts aren't really parallel 5ths. The 5ths just re-enforce the overtones of the root to give it a more powerful sound. Even in rock, real (contrapuntal) parallel 5ths sound out of place.

Ah, so the purposes are different.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
They'd shit their pants in disappointment and anguish, then give up composing and won't write any of the things that we today base our music on, so by doing this you'd have completely changed the history of music and ruining what we have today (which we know and love).

This is why we can't have nice things, TS.
Quote by Xiaoxi

How could a rock band do true parallel fifths then?

Quote by rockingamer2
I think they would be more like, "Parallel fifths! EVERYWHERE!"

I was thinking along the lines of technical bands like Between the Buried and Me, Necrophagist, Opeth, The Human Abstract, Dillinger Escape Plan. Bands who do more than just power chords
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
How could a rock band do true parallel fifths then?
Between fundamental points of melodic lines, eg vocal to bass. A pair of consecutive 5ths occasionally occurs here but not more than that.

I was thinking along the lines of technical bands like Between the Buried and Me, Necrophagist, Opeth, The Human Abstract, Dillinger Escape Plan. Bands who do more than just power chords
Composers might find some aspects of textures and rhythms in rock music to be interesting if we're talking before its existence, but ultimately, I think they would be disappointed with how disorganized any of this music is. It has nothing to do with the conventions of harmonic theory.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Are there any rock/metal bands you know of that follow those conventions?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Are there any rock/metal bands you know of that follow those conventions?

What I meant by that is that the conventions of harmonic theory isn't that important. Composers wouldn't be trying to gauge rock music against the same harmonic conventions used in classical. So even if there were parallel 5ths, it wouldn't be something to be contentious about.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

I would agree. I play a lot of Protest the Hero songs on piano because it sounds so much like classical music.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Oh, I reread your post, I gotcha.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Page 1 of 2