I have been playing for a while but am certainly not a song writer. Tonight I was recording and had an arpeggio pattern laid out of a progression that was based off A-D-G-C. From my understanding, this would be in the key of C, correct? Even though it does not begin on the C, it is still the key of C. Am I wrong?

Since I am working with major chords on my progression, I am thinking that I should be looking to the Ionian mode for my lead concepts... Is this correct?

I know there are no rights or wrongs, but like I said, I am not a song writer and my theory is pretty weak. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.
Neither the A or the D fit in the key of C. Actually, no key will hold all 4 of these chords, so you're going to want to figure out what it resolves to (I'd give my thoughts if I had an instrument in hand), and then have to have accidentals in certain bars.

EDIT: Try this. Try playing D Ionian over the first three chords. Then D Mixolydian over the C chord. In effect you'll be playing in D major, but flattening the 7th on the fourth bar to stay harmonious with the C chord.

Also keep in mind that this does not mean you are writing modal music.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Dec 11, 2011,
Just a thought. If you change the first chord to Am, you'd be in G (Ionian)
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
I would say possibly D? That way your progression would be:

V-I-IV-bVII

That would be kiiiiind of like a D mixoldydian with the lowered 7th (in the last chord), but I don't think that would make sense since you have the C# in the A major chord. I'd go with D Major, progression being V-I-IV-bVII
OR you could actually be in G Major, and your progression would be:

V/V-V-I-IV

Or in other words, your first chord is a secondary dominant (V/V), going to the V in G (D), going to I (G), then to C (IV). Sorry I keep posting by the way haha this has become personal now.

Any other commenters agree/disagree?
how about the fact that it actually is in C, and it's just a chain of dominants?

A -> D -> G -> C.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
A progression for Cmaj would be Cmaj7, Dmin7, Emin7, Fmaj7, Gmaj7min, Amin7, Bdim7min. Build me the scales for each chord, and i'll tell you in which key to play
If it is in the key of Cmaj, then yes. What I talked about earlier were the tetrads (4note chord - 1/3/5/7 degrees of the scale)) of Cmaj, Ifm you arrange it in triads (3note chord - 1/3/5 degrees of the scale), the chord progresion in the key of Cmaj would be C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim - > C ionian.

Also, you shouldn't see modes as scales, but as a way to harmonize scales.
I'll be the one to throw this out there - why in the world are modes being brought into this?

TS, if you're new to theory, forget about them. Simple as that.
Quote by :-D
I'll be the one to throw this out there - why in the world are modes being brought into this?

I pointed out immediately that he wasn't writing modal music. If you're not writing modal music, then knowing them still gives you 7 more (well, 5 more, because you should already know major and minor) scales to work with. Nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: And maybe it is in the key of C, or G, as has been suggested, but that doesn't help with his real question, which is what scale should he be writing a lead in. Writing a lead in either C major or G major is also obviously going to sound crap over the A chord because A-C#-E doesn't fit in either of those keys. No scale is going to sound good over all 4 of these chords

Which is why I suggest, OP, that you try playing in D major for the first 3 chords, and then G major for the C chord. There's other ways you could approach this as well, but that's just how I, personally, would do it.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by :-D

How do you expect him to harmonize a progression without knowing how to work with a progression?
Quote by TeleYankee
I have been playing for a while but am certainly not a song writer. Tonight I was recording and had an arpeggio pattern laid out of a progression that was based off A-D-G-C.

Does it just loop over again? In other words does it go back to A, or finish on C or what?

Time signature, rhythm, TAB? How do you play the arpeggios?

These factors will help determine where this progression resolves.

More context plez?
Quote by mdc
Does it just loop over again? In other words does it go back to A, or finish on C or what?

Time signature, rhythm, TAB? How do you play the arpeggios?

These factors will help determine where this progression resolves.

More context plez?

I have a strange feeling of deja vu

More specifics on the context is necessary but I'll go on and say that it does not seem to be in B, E or F. Don't worry, you don't have to thank me.
"arpeggio pattern laid out of a progression that was based off A-D-G-C"

What?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥