Page 1 of 2
There was that scene in Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon says to some bro that he spent $150,000 on an education he could have gotten for a $1.50 in late charges at the public library.

So the topic for this thread: Do you think that there are some college degrees (maybe even the one you're majoring in now) that a person could acquire a good deal, if not all of the knowledge for, independently? They wouldn't need to go through the whole spend-a-fortune-on-college route because the knowledge and means of obtaining it are hardly exclusive to a college campus?

Essentially you could boil this down to college degrees, where people are really only paying for the degree, and not the knowledge and education as much.
Last edited by The Madcap at Dec 11, 2011,
Mine (Forensic Computing), for certain. But then, all that's important is really just the little scrap of paper saying I've learned it.
🙈 🙉 🙊
The fact that degrees are needed for getting certain jobs, mixed with my indecisiveness, will probably make me dirt poor eventually. If a job requires a degree as well as knowledge, but you only have the knowledge, you'll only be accepted if you prove to them you're better than anybody they already have.
aka History major

Most of what I retained while in High School was stuff that I learned on my own.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
autodidacticism.

and no, not everyone is capable. if you were capable, it would most likely take a lot longer.

and you do have to pay for that piece of paper that says youve graduated college to even be considered for most high paying jobs after college.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Yes, you can learn the material outside of a post-secondary setting.

That doesn't mean you aren't learning the material at university. It is a place of education. You are learning the required material in order to be deemed competent in your field. It is required if you want to legitimately have a respectable position in said field.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
That doesn't mean you aren't learning the material at university.
YES! YES IT DOES FUCKING MEAN THAT!
You could easily learn the same amount of material independently of a university. But that knowledge is essentially useless in the workforce, it's only for personal props. You need to prove you have the knowledge, and that's where degrees come in handy.
It's complicated.

Some people are capable of complete self-education to that degree. Those people have an incredible ability to understand concepts.

There's a popular quote floating around that goes "I can explain it for you but I can not understand it for you."

Books, for the most part, impart explanation. Some people can understand from the explanations. Many people need help with the understanding bit and that's why higher education originally existed.
Quote by Gmp
and that's where degrees come in handy.
Well, yeah, that's true and all, but this thread isn't disputing that or anything.
I know a huge part of my education was in-class discussion of various theories, experiments, clinical interventions, etc. If I'd just read books I wouldn't have gotten to expand that learning through a social setting or take part in any research.

Also fuck's sake, Madcap, this is Headline Contradicted by Actual Article. I see no shit anywhere in this thread.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Androidjoey
You don't need a college degree in guitar to play do you?

P.S. theirs your answer.

No, but if you want to be successful, then you need a shit ton of luck, which you probably won't have. Get a college degree, and it helps solidify you in the industry. Also, through the process of getting your degree, you acquire contacts, which are everything in the music business.

I guess technically, no you don't need to go to college and yes, you can learn on your own. But it would be a helluva lot harder. Your professors give you direction, show you what to learn next, give you practical applications, and if you are a good student, often can land ou jobs or contacts.
Last edited by chaosmoon at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by Androidjoey
dude my dad worked for nasa he new all the stuff to work there but he still had to get his DR.degree Just because people wont hire unless you have that over rated piece of paper

Like I'm real sure he could have produced an acceptable doctoral-level thesis in (NASA so I'm assuming) astrophysics without formal education.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by The Madcap
YES! YES IT DOES FUCKING MEAN THAT!

ok just saw how you wrote "fucking" howd you get all caps
Quote by chaosmoon
No, but if you want to be successful, then you need a shit ton of luck, which you probably won't have. Get a college degree, and it helps solidify you in the industry. Also, through the process of getting your degree, you acquire contacts, which are everything in the music business.

I guess technically, no you don't need to go to college and yes, you can learn on your own. But it would be a helluva lot harder. Your professors give you direction, show you what to learn next, give you practical applications, and if you are a good student, often can land ou jobs or contacts.

bro you don't need a shit ton of luck and you don't need a degree all you need is the right people and the will to make it to the top
Quote by Androidjoey
bro you don't need a shit ton of luck and you don't need a degree all you need is the right people and the will to make it to the top

And how do you get the right people? Last time I checked, the 'right people' don't just grow on trees.

And as much as I hate to say it, just having will power isn't enough. I can want to be a rockstar as hard as I want, but unless I get lucky and am in the right place at the right time, its not gonna happen.
Quote by Androidjoey

"Birthday : December 22, 1996"

Look I really really really hate to play the age card, I really do, but...........

The world isn't that simple and you're gonna learn that quickly.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Androidjoey

sorry, but you were lied to when they told you, you can be anything you want.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by SteveHouse
Like I'm real sure he could have produced an acceptable doctoral-level thesis in (NASA so I'm assuming) astrophysics without formal education.

no he has a formal education it's just he was a airforce test pilot and then went to go work for nasa and had to get a degree for something before he applied to work there he was a rocket scientist and then a mission manager there so i don't know what his degree is in for those jobs
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
sorry, but you were lied to when they told you, you can be anything you want.

really because that's not what my family history shows we all had the will to do what we want and we stop at nothing until we reach it
I doubt your dad could have gotten on at NASA without his experience as a test pilot in USAF. That's not something just anyone can do either. Whoooooole lot of luck + right place in your story already.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Androidjoey
really because that's not what my family history shows we all had the will to do what we want and we stop at nothing until we reach it

Has anyone in your family tried being a narwhal with Aspergers? I'd like to see you try to become that. Prove me wrong.
if a piece of paper is the difference between me being employed and therefore ****ing loaded then yes, it is necessary. one day i aspire to the one percent ARE YOU F**KING JELLY!?
Quote by Androidjoey

uh huh.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by SteveHouse
"Birthday : December 22, 1996"

Look I really really really hate to play the age card, I really do, but...........

The world isn't that simple and you're gonna learn that quickly.

dude i know the worlds not that simple but all i'm saying is you don't need a degree in something as sample as buttoning a shirt to do it i'm not saying to go out and not go to get a degree i'm going to get one in something other then just music but if someone told you to go get a degree to turn on a laptop would you?
Quote by chaosmoon
Has anyone in your family tried being a narwhal with Aspergers? I'd like to see you try to become that. Prove me wrong.

Lol i try that on my spare time but i'm just saying if you wanna to something do it don't let not having a degree stop you
Quote by Androidjoey
dude i know the worlds not that simple but all i'm saying is you don't need a degree in something as sample as buttoning a shirt to do it i'm not saying to go out and not go to get a degree i'm going to get one in something other then just music but if someone told you to go get a degree to turn on a laptop would you?

Stop being silly.

SHEdit: Well that's a hyperbola. Not a hyperbole. Your post was the second one tho

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by Androidjoey
Lol i try that on my spare time but i'm just saying if you wanna to something do it don't let not having a degree stop you

I agree with you. Not having a degree shouldn't stop you from following your passion. But a degree is more than a piece of paper. It's proof that you know (or at least most people know) their field. I would never hire a doctor who doesn't have a degree to treat my sick family.

Also, turning on a laptop is not education. Of course you don't need a degree for that. But that's not knowledge and shit.
Quote by Androidjoey
no he has a formal education it's just he was a airforce test pilot and then went to go work for nasa and had to get a degree for something before he applied to work there he was a rocket scientist and then a mission manager there so i don't know what his degree is in for those jobs
I'm pretty sure that in order to be a pilot in the Air Force you need a college degree.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by SteveHouse
I doubt your dad could have gotten on at NASA without his experience as a test pilot in USAF. That's not something just anyone can do either. Whoooooole lot of luck + right place in your story already.

it's not but my dad knows the right people and has a lot of luck plus everyone in my family has been a government man and it's not a story
and at my age knowing people early helps for the future i got my gibson from a guy at roadrunner records and he said if i need help with my band give him a call and thats great luck so hate all you want and release the trolls
Quote by element4433
I'm pretty sure that in order to be a pilot in the Air Force you need a college degree.

well he went with a program to get your degree with the gov paying for it to become a pilot you can still get those for free
I'm studying industrial (aka product) design. Many of the most famous, influential designers of all time (Raymond Loewy is a notable example) were either barely taught, had educations in other fields, or had no instruction whatsoever. However, not only am I simply not a good enough designer at this point (and will not be without some education), I would like to have a job immediately following college and not have to spend years proving myself whilst living in my parents' basement and being constantly broke. My school (University of Cincinnati) was recently ranked #1 in a poll of design firms as to who they would like to hire from. Clearly, going to a good school will give me an advantage financially, at least in the short run, compared to those who try and carve their own path.
Quote by Androidjoey
it's not but my dad knows the right people and has a lot of luck

i got my gibson from a guy at roadrunner records and he said if i need help with my band give him a call and thats great luck

Luck. Exactly. That's what you've been arguing your family disproves.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Luck. Exactly. That's what you've been arguing your family disproves.

well as much as i can argue with the trolls i gotta be going so we will continue this later
Page 1 of 2