I have an RG1570 and I slipped in some Dimarzios (Evo and Breed). Obviously that improved the sound quite substantially. The only problem is that they are higher output, which means greater pull on the strings, which means a lot more fret buzz, with the same action and the same pickup height.

The pickups are direct-mounted and the Evo (neck) is screwed all the way in. The Breed (bridge) is at approx. the same distance from the strings. So basically I can't have them any lower.

Is there another solution than raising the action? It's already around 1.7-1.9 mm at the 24th fret and I really don't want it any higher.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I don't know much but if pickup is pulling on strings I think you are supposed to lower the pickup?
Check your neck relief. When you changed the pickups, the neck may have shifted a little without string tension on it (pretty common with thin necks like the 1570 has) and it might have settled with a bit less relief than you had prior.
Be careful if you plan to turn the truss rod yourself.... (small shops will prob do it free)
Quote by littlephil
Check your neck relief. When you changed the pickups, the neck may have shifted a little without string tension on it (pretty common with thin necks like the 1570 has) and it might have settled with a bit less relief than you had prior.

I checked that, and the relief seems to be the same. Regardless, I'm also getting more buzz on the higher frets, so the neck isn't the issue.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Did you put new strings on it too? I've found that especially on Floyds, there will be a little extra buzz just after the strings are replaced. Give it a day or so and see if the buzz gets better.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Call me crazy, but I think that the tension between the nut and the bridge is high enough to keep the strings from bending in a concave shape toward the pickups... Sounds like bridge height to me.

Then the new pickups must have magically changed the bridge height, as well.

Quote by littlephil
Did you put new strings on it too? I've found that especially on Floyds, there will be a little extra buzz just after the strings are replaced. Give it a day or so and see if the buzz gets better.

No, they're not new, they're broken in.

Quote by Mad Marius
Then the new pickups must have magically changed the bridge height, as well.

It makes more sense to me that taking the strings off and working on the guitar for a while and then putting them back on would cause some shifting than the strings somehow being pulled into the fretboard against lbs. of force exerted by the tension of the string...
Quote by Pac_man0123
It makes more sense to me that taking the strings off and working on the guitar for a while and then putting them back on would cause some shifting than the strings somehow being pulled into the fretboard against lbs. of force exerted by the tension of the string...

Nothing has been changed on the guitar except for the pickups. These new pickups have stronger magnets, which is why i suspect there's more fret buzz. The tension on the strings is exerted horizontally, while the pickups pull the strings vertically. What is there to counterbalance this pull? Nothing.

I'm not saying this is correct, this is my suspicion.

So.. any solutions?

Get ultra mega gauge strings bro
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by Mad Marius
Nothing has been changed on the guitar except for the pickups. These new pickups have stronger magnets, which is why i suspect there's more fret buzz. The tension on the strings is exerted horizontally, while the pickups pull the strings vertically. What is there to counterbalance this pull? Nothing.

I'm not saying this is correct, this is my suspicion.

So.. any solutions?

Yeah, adjust your truss rod and action. Your pickups are not pulling on your strings and causing them to rest closer to your fretboard. There is no way your pickups can have that sort of force.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, adjust your truss rod and action. Your pickups are not pulling on your strings and causing them to rest closer to your fretboard. There is no way your pickups can have that sort of force.

Are you really that sure? Do you speak from experience or is this just a hunch?

I've honestly narrowed it down to this. I don't know what else it could be. Every parameter is the same, except for the new pickups.

And it's actually quite annoying. I had the action set up nice and low, with barely any buzz. Now I have more of it.

Last edited by Mad Marius at Dec 11, 2011,
Have you actually tried adjusting the bridge or the truss rod or anything or are you just assuming its all the same because things shift when you change strings and make repairs. And there is no way you pick ups are pulling your strings down unless your pickups are like a few millimeters away and in that case you need to move them down.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
There's really no way your pickups are pulling the strings down in the way you're thinking. Honestly, look down your strings from the nut to the bridge. You won't see them dipping. Most likely is that when you took the strings off to replace the pickups, you either upset the level of the bridge or the relief of the neck.
Hi, I'm Peter
The neck relief is the same as before. The bridge is parallel to the body, as it should be. The action used to be around 1.7-1.5 mm (for the low and high Es, respectively), with little if any fret buzz. Now I've had to raise it as high as 1.9-1.7 (give or take).

And of course the pickups are a few mm from the strings. And when I press the strings, they're 2-3mm away (give or take). I doubt the magnets don't have any influence at this distance... The pickups won't go any lower, as I've mentioned.

Quote by Mad Marius
Are you really that sure? Do you speak from experience or is this just a hunch?

I've honestly narrowed it down to this. I don't know what else it could be. Every parameter is the same, except for the new pickups.

And it's actually quite annoying. I had the action set up nice and low, with barely any buzz. Now I have more of it.

Dude, just adjust your action. It's not the pickups.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 11, 2011,
The increased output from the pickups won't cause this. It's the magnetic pull that can cause problems from the strings but that's independent of the pickup output. Old Strat pickups are the worst for this because the magnets in those come right up under the strings. In fact modern, high output humbuckers effect the string less since the magnet is at the bottom of the pickup and obviously they can keep the power high even when they're far from the strings. Even with Strat pickups you have to put them really, really close to the strings to cause any trouble. And that won't be buzz. It'll pull the strings out of tune but it won't create fret buzz.

So it's not the pickups causing it.

Your problem is when you changed pickups either the neck or bridge shifted. It might have been only a tiny amount, unoticable to the naked eye, but it'll be there. You just gotta do the usual things to correct buzz. Work out which frets it is causing it and adjust either the bridge or truss rod accordingly.
Alright. I'll triple check everything, maybe there's something I missed.