Hey guys, I'm looking for a new amp. My budget is around $800 or so. I really like Orange. I'd prefer something with a really good clean tone because I have a distortion pedal that I can just plug in. I currently have a VOX VT15 which, I have to admit is pretty good, but I want something similar with a higher wattage so I can crank it up louder. What would you guys recommend?
What distortion pedal are running?

Are you gigging or using it at home?

Used/New? Location?

Genres?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Firstly, what kind of an amp are you searching for? Do you want a combo, or a head?

Secondly, you won't get anything similar to your VT15 from Orange, because is far as i know, the VT15 is a modeling amp, and orange does not make any modeling amps (except from this orange/intel pc, wich you can not really see as an amp in my opinion).

So if your looking for a good Orange Tube amp around $800, you could take a look at the Orange Thunder 30. You can get it as a head or as a combo, and i think it gives you a really nice clean tone, but also a nice distortion.

If you are Looking for a modeling amp with alls those effects and stuff, you could go with one of the Peavy Vypyr's, or you could take a look at this whole line6 stuff. They're doing quite good and mostly cheap modeling amps, in combos or in heads, too.

hope I could help

iMokx
Quote by iMokx
Firstly, what kind of an amp are you searching for? Do you want a combo, or a head?

Secondly, you won't get anything similar to your VT15 from Orange, because is far as i know, the VT15 is a modeling amp, and orange does not make any modeling amps (except from this orange/intel pc, wich you can not really see as an amp in my opinion).

So if your looking for a good Orange Tube amp around $800, you could take a look at the Orange Thunder 30. You can get it as a head or as a combo, and i think it gives you a really nice clean tone, but also a nice distortion.

If you are Looking for a modeling amp with alls those effects and stuff, you could go with one of the Peavy Vypyr's, or you could take a look at this whole line6 stuff. They're doing quite good and mostly cheap modeling amps, in combos or in heads, too.

hope I could help

iMokx

Where the hell did you get a TH30 for $800? It costs £700 in the UK!

But again, you need the basic information before we can help you.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by dtmaiden
Where the hell did you get a TH30 for $800? It costs £700 in the UK!

oops... forgot to write 'used'. But anyway, you're right, $800 is not enough to get one, but you can get a used one (for example on ebay) for around $900 or even less.
Last edited by iMokx at Dec 11, 2011,
with an $800 budget you can get a pretty good selection of awesome amps if you're willing to buy used. But which one all depends where you live, and what types of music you're playing.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
The only Orange amps you will be able to get are the Tiny Terror amps. They don't have alot of clean headroom, so if you play with a drummer I wouldn't bother. It wiil be loud enough, but not clean at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Eppicurt
What distortion pedal are running?

Are you gigging or using it at home?

Used/New? Location?

Genres?

I'm using it primarily at home. I'm in Australia, I play metal and I have an MXR Distortion+ and a Digitech Bad Monkey
Which state? And what're you playing?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by iMokx

hope I could help

iMokx

How much is the Orange Thunder 30 head? Also, how much would a 2x12 or 4x12Cab cost?
You might want to look used for a TT then. You are gonna pay double what it cost in the USA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Also, if it helps, the guitars I'm going to be running through it are:

Ibanez Jem 7VSBL

Jackson Dinky DK2 (with Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge)

Jackson RR3

Fender Jim Root Strat.
METALLICA - Ride the Lightning!

My guitars:

Ibanez Jem 7VSBL

Jackson Dinky DK2 (with Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge)

Jackson RR3

Fender Jim Root Strat.

Last edited by James_Kirkfield at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by James_Kirkfield
How much is the Orange Thunder 30 head? Also, how much would a 2x12 or 4x12Cab cost?

I the USA the TH30 cost $1100 USD and a 2x12 orange cab is $700USD. They are expensive here, but ridiculous in AU.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You might want to look used for a TT then. You are gonna pay double what it cost in the USA

Not true.

Australian prices on Orange are only slightly higher than UK prices.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Not true.

Australian prices on Orange are only slightly higher than UK prices.

Well at least you guys dont get totally f'ed over by all companys.

In the US a Rockerverb 100watt head cost about the same as a Bogner Uberschall
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd go with this:

Bugera BC30 (AUD$598 delivered)

A good copy of the Vox AC30/Matchless HC-30 - great chimey clean tones with quite a bit of drive on tap. Will get very Orange-y at higher gain levels, especially with a dirt pedal. Plenty of volume for gigging, fairly portable and great value.

You should be able to find it in an Australian store but if not, Thomann ship to Australia for $50. Worth keeping in mind for future purchases.
Check out the Carvin V3m they have combos in 1x12 They also have a great clean tone 3 channels I love my V3m head $700-800
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Try to get a used Tiny Terror or Dark Terror if you want more gain.
If you play metal i could recommend the Peavey ValveKing. I use one as a 2x12 combo, and I'm very pleased with it. You cant get great metal-tones out of it, but it got a (in my opinion) nice clean channel, too. I know many people don't like the ValveKings, but I think they're really great amps.

But anyway, just go to a local music store and check out all those amps we wrote about, or even more. You'll know what works fine for you.