I love both, but the Lo Pro Edge by Ibanez takes the cake. You never have to tighten the screw at the back like you need to with Floyd Rose trems. Only problem is, if it's your first time restringing an Edge, you may have a problem because it's a different system. What do you guys think?
From what I know (not an expert here, just happen to have a few Ibanez) the original Edge was designed to be pretty close to an actual Floyd Rose with a couple improvements added when it appeared sometime during the mid 80's, '85 or '86 I think. As far as the original Edge is concerned, it was popular during its heyday and quite a few people are using it again now. The JS models have been using original Edges since 2010, while ones made before that (mine is one) have the Edge Pro, which is now discontinued.

The Lo-Pro is just what its name suggests; it's a lower profile bridge (the Edge is pretty massive) and I think there were a couple of other tweaks but I don't know exactly what. It pretty much replaced the Edge on most higher-end models in the early to mid 90's - both the original Edge and Lo-Pro were discontinued in '03 and reintroduced in 2010 after the Edge Pro was discontinued.

If I remember correctly, the Edge Pro was designed for some legal reason or another, and it had no locking studs on the bridge and didn't require you to cut the ball ends of the strings off when restringing. I don't know why exactly they were discontinued though.
Quote by :-D
From what I know (not an expert here, just happen to have a few Ibanez) the original Edge was designed to be pretty close to an actual Floyd Rose with a couple improvements added when it appeared sometime during the mid 80's, '85 or '86 I think. As far as the original Edge is concerned, it was popular during its heyday and quite a few people are using it again now. The JS models have been using original Edges since 2010, while ones made before that (mine is one) have the Edge Pro, which is now discontinued.

The Lo-Pro is just what its name suggests; it's a lower profile bridge (the Edge is pretty massive) and I think there were a couple of other tweaks but I don't know exactly what. It pretty much replaced the Edge on most higher-end models in the early to mid 90's - both the original Edge and Lo-Pro were discontinued in '03 and reintroduced in 2010 after the Edge Pro was discontinued.

If I remember correctly, the Edge Pro was designed for some legal reason or another, and it had no locking studs on the bridge and didn't require you to cut the ball ends of the strings off when restringing. I don't know why exactly they were discontinued though.

What's your favourite? I love the Lo Pro Edge. Also, what's your take on the ZR?
Quote by James_Kirkfield
What's your favourite? I love the Lo Pro Edge. Also, what's your take on the ZR?

My guitar with the Lo-Pro only got here a few days ago, so I don't really have enough experience to give an informed opinion yet. Between the original Edge and Edge Pro I prefer the Pro.

I haven't tried out a ZR guitar yet, but the couple people I know who've done so have nothing but good things to say about them.
My guitar with the Lo-Pro only got here a few days ago, so I don't really have enough experience to give an informed opinion yet. Between the original Edge and Edge Pro I prefer the Pro.

I haven't tried out a ZR guitar yet, but the couple people I know who've done so have nothing but good things to say about them.

I love the Lo Pro. One of the best I ever used. What do you think of the Ibanez S series? Most of them use a ZR or ZR2 and I was wondering if I could stick a Lo Pro in there.
METALLICA - Ride the Lightning!

My guitars:

Ibanez Jem 7VSBL

Jackson Dinky DK2 (with Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge)

Jackson RR3

Fender Jim Root Strat.

Quote by James_Kirkfield
I love the Lo Pro. One of the best I ever used. What do you think of the Ibanez S series? Most of them use a ZR or ZR2 and I was wondering if I could stick a Lo Pro in there.

I was actually looking at them the other day, I'd love to have an S or S Prestige at some point. The original ZR ran into some breakage problems, hence the development of the ZR2 - as far as I know, it's only the S Prestige that come with the ZR2 standard.

As for putting in a Lo-Pro, I don't know anything about how to actually do it or whether it's possible.
The Edge is basically an improved Floyd Rose. The knife edges aren't part of the baseplate itself, so they can be replaced/sharpened much easier. The saddles are more refined, not sharp square things like on a Floyd. It also has locking studs, which help prevent the stud inserts moving over time.

The Lo Pro is a low profile version of the Edge. Essentially and performance wise exactly the same, just with the fine tuners moved lower and further back. It has a slightly smaller pull-up range than the Edge.

The Edge Pro was introduced because Ibanez wanted to be seen as constantly innovating, and it also meant they no longer had to pay patent fees for every Edge & Lo Pro they made. The trem is still very good, just not quite as good as the Edge & Lo Pro.

The Edge Pro was discontinued as Ibanez brought out the Edge Zero on all Prestige models. Some signature models went back to the Edge & Lo Pro (JS, JEM, some PGM reissues, Apex), because the artists whose models they are have always used the Edge/LoPro, and didn't want the Edge Zero on their guitars. Since the original Floyd Rose patent expired a few years ago, they no longer pay fees for these trems, and they are no longer stamped "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents"

Performance wise, the Edge, Lo Pro and Floyd Rose are pretty similar. A lot of people swear by the Edge, but really all 3 systems work very well, its really just a matter of preference/availability.
I was actually looking at them the other day, I'd love to have an S or S Prestige at some point. The original ZR ran into some breakage problems, hence the development of the ZR2 - as far as I know, it's only the S Prestige that come with the ZR2 standard.

As for putting in a Lo-Pro, I don't know anything about how to actually do it or whether it's possible.

Nice, I've been looking into an S470 recently. I only like Ibanez guitars from 1987-'93

Only because the Ibanez guitars nowadays have new (not better) trem systems and shit has just changed way too much. Ibanez were the best from 87-93

My guitars:

Ibanez Jem 7VSBL

Jackson RR3

Fender Jim Root Strat.

Quote by James_Kirkfield
Nice, I've been looking into an S470 recently. I only like Ibanez guitars from 1987-'93

Only because the Ibanez guitars nowadays have new (not better) trem systems and shit has just changed way too much. Ibanez were the best from 87-93

The best years for Ibanez are actually more like '97-'03. Best days of Prestige and J-Customs (although J-Customs are always consistently great), and the non-Prestinge MIJ models are very good too. Earlier than that they're still good, but not quite as good, and after the quality dipped for a few years. They're getting it back together now too.
Quote by James_Kirkfield

I want to try out some of the newer ones, seeing as most of my experience is with older models as well, one from '88 and one from '93 (or '95, not entirely sure). The older ones have always had an appeal to me for some reason, but I like the look of quintessential 80's guitars - older Ibanez, San Dimas, and so forth.
I want to try out some of the newer ones, seeing as most of my experience is with older models as well, one from '88 and one from '93 (or '95, not entirely sure). The older ones have always had an appeal to me for some reason, but I like the look of quintessential 80's guitars - older Ibanez, San Dimas, and so forth.

I think I only love those old Ibanez models because Ibanez likes to create great models and then discontinue them. RG550, 540S, 540PII, 540 STN, RG565 and so on...

My guitars:

Ibanez Jem 7VSBL

Jackson RR3

Fender Jim Root Strat.

Quote by littlephil
The best years for Ibanez are actually more like '97-'03. Best days of Prestige and J-Customs (although J-Customs are always consistently great), and the non-Prestinge MIJ models are very good too. Earlier than that they're still good, but not quite as good, and after the quality dipped for a few years. They're getting it back together now too.

Actually, 2001-2003 were great, I have an Ibanez Jem from 2001 (or 03) and I don't regret it at all!

My guitars:

Ibanez Jem 7VSBL

Jackson RR3

Fender Jim Root Strat.

Quote by James_Kirkfield
I think I only love those old Ibanez models because Ibanez likes to create great models and then discontinue them. RG550, 540S, 540PII, 540 STN, RG565 and so on...

Never tried any of them.

For me I like some uniqueness and rarity too - my Jem is a 777DY, which only ran from 89-91, so it's generally a nice conversation piece if nothing else. If I could find a 777 in Shocking Pink or Loch Ness Green that'd be great, but no luck. I also have a JPM100 (this is the one with the Lo-Pro I just got) that's another "oh cool what is that" sort of guitar.
Never tried any of them.

For me I like some uniqueness and rarity too - my Jem is a 777DY, which only ran from 89-91, so it's generally a nice conversation piece if nothing else. If I could find a 777 in Shocking Pink or Loch Ness Green that'd be great, but no luck. I also have a JPM100 (this is the one with the Lo-Pro I just got) that's another "oh cool what is that" sort of guitar.

I've never tried any of them either... That's just how rare they are! Although, If you're interested in an S series with a Lo Pro, There's the FGM 100. It's just an S with different pickups owned by Frank Gambale. I also think that the S470 has a Lo Pro or similar

My guitars:

Ibanez Jem 7VSBL

Jackson RR3

Fender Jim Root Strat.