hey guys,
I just bought myself a new guitar, anyway the fretboard is like really stiff sorta thing like rough. So i read somewhere once you could get something to put on it and it sorta lubricates the fretboard without damaging it.
Anyone know what its called?
so when i go to the guitar shop tomorrow i know what to ask for.
any help will be appreciated. Cheers
Lemon Oil?

Is it a rosewood fingerboard?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
fast fret. It's basically mineral oil soaked into a porous stick you rub on the fretboard. Works pretty well. Lemon oils and conditioners are something different.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
If the fret board's rough, then maybe it needs some lemon oil as well
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
so there is a few opinions here, I'm finding it hard to describe what I'm after.
OK so if i bend on this fretboard i can feel like the string going over the wood and its kinda a rough feeling, on my old guitar it felt like when you bend like the string was rubbing against the back of an Ipod or something you know smooth as.
And I'm looking for something i can put on this fretboard to make it feel smooth like the old one i had.
btw i live in Australia, the city i live in is only 30,000 people so the music shop is very poor like 10 guitars and two drum kits. so is this stuff common is every half decent music shop likely to have it?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
is it clean? sometimes crap can build up on the frets. Clean them with some fine steel wool, and then put some fast fret or conditioner on it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Yeh dude dry is the perfect word its ****ing 1 syllable and 3 letters and i couldn't think of the word dry. Whats the chances of a half decent music store having it?
cheers for the help bud
and yes it is rosewood
Last edited by mybanez at Dec 11, 2011,
You'd be surprised. Smaller retail stores are usually clueless, just buy some on eBay or something.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
yeh dude ill give em a ring tomorrow and if they dont stock it ill buy some over the net cheers for the help
Most of the stuff marketed as 'lemon oil' isn't.

If you've got a properly dry fretboard, you can get a much more permanent improvement using Tung Oil. You can get it from most harward/DIY stores. Use it sparingly and apply with a cotton rag or similar.
So I rang the guitar shop today and the guy said he doesn't stock lemon oil because its not very useful.
He told me to use something called linseed oil, he said it will last longer than lemon oil and is far more effective.
Has anyone ever heard of using linseed oil on there fretboard? does it work well?
If so how do i apply it and will i need to take off the strings to do it?