I've decided that I'm going to have a friend draw a design for me to burn into the body of my guitar.

The problem is, I'm not sure what kind of finish is on the wood as it's distressed and not glossy. Is it possible that it's just lightly painted wood?

I'm going to be sanding over the wood before burning, and if there isn't really much of a finish on the body, should I just sand until the paint color fades?

Thanks!

Guitar type: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AXL-JOHNSON-Badwater-SRO-Guitar-Vintage-Aged-White-NEW-/380391649826
well most big guitar companies use a polyester resin for the clear coat (whether it is gloss or satin finish). polyester resins are not damaged by conventional weapons. and by weapons i mean solvents.

you should sand down to bare wood before burning. if you dont, nearby paint and clear coat will burn as well. i believe it will burn in attractively compared to wood burning. i expect it will take away from the artistic wood burning to see smears of melted burnt poly over the wood burning.