Page 1 of 2
So im thinking about buying a 7 string guitar.
The problem is that i already have 2 6 strings. The one of them i use is the one in e standard. The other is downtuned, has emgs and heavy gauge strings. This guitar i rerely use, because i rarely play this kind of music.

What scares me about getting a 7 string, is that i feel like im never gonna play a 6 string electric again, because what is the point? Is there anything a 6 string can do, that a 7 string cant?
On 7-strings, if you do any chords when you are not using the 7th string, you'll hit the 7th string and that's annoying. You can't really jam with it because of that, you have to have some kind of control not to hit it.
Sometimes simpler is just better. There's nothing wrong with either one, they both have their uses, so just enjoy them both.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by MantheDan
On 7-strings, if you do any chords when you are not using the 7th string, you'll hit the 7th string and that's annoying. You can't really jam with it because of that, you have to have some kind of control not to hit it.

yep, the 7th string will get in the way when you don't need to use it.

keith richards only uses 5 strings when he plays in open G, because the 6th string (tuned to a low D) just gets in the way of the root note.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
no drop d with a 7 string... i mean i know theres drop a but drop d just sounds better sometimes
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Well, I think the 7 string can do everything the 6 can. Just a little issue, for some chords, if you tend to wrap your thumb over the fretboard, you may have some difficulties doing that on a 7, as you're playing on a wider neck.

I taught a friend of mine, how to play some basic guitar, my 7 string was the only feasible option, as my other guitars were missing some strings.
Despite her having small hands and such, she still managed to play fine.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
You'd look metal unless that's what you're going for
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by MantheDan

Maybe if you're not great at control... I never hit it by accident

Quote by 100%
no drop d with a 7 string... i mean i know theres drop a but drop d just sounds better sometimes

You can still have drop D on a 7 strring
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Maybe if you're not great at control... I never hit it by accident

You can still have drop D on a 7 strring

Yeah, because when you get into your music and are jamming out, all you can think about is control so you don't hit the 7-string.
Quote by MantheDan
Yeah, because when you get into your music and are jamming out, all you can think about is control so you don't hit the 7-string.

Maybe you should practice more so you don't have to think about it?

ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by MantheDan

I really don't like these reactions. It somehow implies being more technically proficient in your playing somehow gets in the way of enjoying the music you're playing. It's completely asinine
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Usernames sucks
What scares me about getting a 7 string, is that i feel like im never gonna play a 6 string electric again, because what is the point? Is there anything a 6 string can do, that a 7 string cant?

I have 5 six string guitars, usually they're all tuned "Normal" although, now one is tuned to Open G for a couple of "Stones" tunes we're doing.... Fact is, that I take usually 3 with me to a gig. Not because they're "special" tools, but because they all feel and sound different. I use my strat for the blues rock, the Les Paul for Classic or heavier rock, and the Riviera for the slow jazzy blues stuff, if the set lists allow for a guitar change. I could get by with one, maybe two... but I have them.. so.. I play them..

If you're like me at all, you'll wind up using your 6 strings if you buy a 7... just for the differences if anything...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by MantheDan
Get better technique.

Seriously, playing 6 string music on a 7 string is a complete non issue.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Get better technique.

I don't own a 7 String, and I approve this message.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Having made my initial response, I do have to say there is some truth to the "6-strings are easier to play" idea. Charlie Hunter is infamous for his contributions to 8-string guitar wizardry, but has, of late, been playing more 7-string for exactly that reason.

It's not a question of his technique- he is a master of what he does- but that he simply doesn't want to deal with the requirements of playing the 8-string when 7 will suffice.

And I'm sure some people may feel the same going back and forth between 6 and 7 string guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by MantheDan

That's like saying it's too hard to jam out on a song that's rooted on A because you have to keep avoiding the 6th string on a regular six string guitar to hit the 5th all the time... Since when did it become so hard to not hit a string? That's like saying you shouldn't buy a full sized piano with lower octaves because you'll spend too much time hitting the low notes by accident. I don't actually own a 7 string, but I've played one many a time and I can tell you with complete sincerity that I've never had an issue playing a song written in E standard on a 7 string and accidentally hit the B all the time. That said, if you're only playing 6 string songs, is it worth it to bother playing them on a 7? No, of course not, but if you occasionally run into the need to play a 6 string track on a 7, there isn't a huge issue. A 7 string, like any guitar, takes time to get used to, but once you do, it's all in the technique and muscle memory. It'll be fine.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by Usernames sucks
So im thinking about buying a 7 string guitar.
The problem is that i already have 2 6 strings. The one of them i use is the one in e standard. The other is downtuned, has emgs and heavy gauge strings. This guitar i rerely use, because i rarely play this kind of music.

i don't understand, if you don't use your downtuned guitar because you don't really play downtuned stuff, why would you want a 7 string
On a 6-string you can do stuff with your thumb fretting the 6th string like Hendrix and SRV used to do. You can't really do that stuff with a 7-string.
Quote by ArtemR
i don't understand, if you don't use your downtuned guitar because you don't really play downtuned stuff, why would you want a 7 string

Alot of the bands i listen to use 7 strings, i also want to use it in my own music. I dont wanna loose the benefits of a 6 string.
I also go to school (music school) and i need a guitar in standard tune (here would a 7 string be pretty cool)
You don't need to give up 6's to play 7's. I play my 7 and my 6's both very regularly. Hell, I'm playing my 6 now. Different guitars will feel different, and inspire you to play different things. Theres no reason not to have both.

To all those who were saying that you can't play 6 string music without the 7th string getting in the way, as said earlier, get better technique. If you can't play the 6 strings without hitting the 7th, practice more. Seriously

EDIT:

^ Buy one. There is absolutely no downside to having more range, especially if you're going to music school. That lower range would help immensely in classical or jazz, and well, in all other genres as well. 7 strings aren't genre specific instruments, its just this ****ing "djent" thing that's making people assume they are.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Dec 11, 2011,
Different tunings, really. I used to have my six-string in drop C, but I'm giving that away as a Christmas gift now. My eight-string is all I need. I just need to find a capo and I'm covered.

I really don't think I'd go back to a six-string for anything. The lowest I'd go is to a seven-string which I've never owned, but they're far more comfortable than six-strings now. I guess I'd only buy a six-string if I couldn't get a seven- or eight-string hollowbody. Or if I was buying an Ibanez JEM.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by xFilth
Point of 7 string when you can have a 8 string?

point of 8 string when you can have a 12-string?
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube

Smartass
Quote by Blompcube

The 12 string doesn't have a low B and F#.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Xeron Brigs
The 12 string doesn't have a low B and F#.

A traditional one? No.

But surf YouTube for a while and you'll find guys messing around with guitars with fingerboards that look like 2 by 4s to support strings numbering into the teens...like these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2BOApUvFpw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2CH8EzM5M0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf56jYDv2fc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir9Ur-K06TI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And Veilette guitars makes baritone versions of traditional style 12s...which must get nice & low, too.
http://www.veilletteguitars.com/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube

Why a 12-string when you can have a 24-string?
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
There is no reason not to get a 7-string. I've got one and three other guitars (all six string). I play the 7-string a lot because it's a great playing guitar, but the other guitars I own get a lot of usage, too. They all have different sounds and feels to them. The 7-string is a versatile guitar and there is nothing stopping you from tuning it however you want or playing how you want. I've seen 7-string guitars used in jazz, metal, rock, and even classical. There's no reason not to get one.

Another thing that I'd keep in mind is that a seven string with a fixed bridge can change three common tunings (Standard, drop D, and drop A) very quickly without fuss, meaning that you can put your other guitars into different tunings while still being able to play music in standard and dropped tunings without a hassle.
Quote by Dayn

They need to get that guy in makeup and have him be lead "whatever" in a Sci-Fi rock band in some film.

Also, I want one.

Quote by Dayn

because that's not even a real guitar, that's a wannabe musician's guitar. also known as a "bass guitar"

one time a metal guitarist messed around with my danelectro 12-string and got the most brutal sound out of it by drop tuning it - the upper octave strings gave the sound a really chilling dissonant quality to the sound. it was crazy.
Rig Winter 2017:

When i owned a seven string, what i liked to do was tune the G down to F# and basically keep it tuned as a baritone simply because i liked how a lot of clean passages i write sounded in a lower tuning. But as others have said, there are a few pros and cons, but depending on your music style and technique, they may or may not matter to you.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Quote by Absent Mind
Get better technique.

I don't own a 7 String, and I approve this message.

I'm a 5 string bassist and 6 piece kit player, and I approve both messages.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by engineno9

why have 27 strings when you can have:

edit: ugh, huge pic! found a different one instead.
Rig Winter 2017:

Good lord this thread is just full of demented opinions spewed by pompous 14 year olds that think they know what they're talking about.

For songs that you don't need the 7th string for, it's just more practical to have a 6 string. You can claim that simply improving technique would eliminate that, but some of the most technically proficient players in the world use 6 strings on songs they could use 7 strings for.

- John Petrucci
- Steve Vai
- Rusty Cooley
- Jeff Loomis

Just to name a few.

TL;DR, it's more practical to use a 6 string where you only need 6 strings.
You may fall into the trap of "must write heavy music" when playing a 7 string, that's more of a creative issue, the change of instrument can really help the creative mind. And there are gonna be tonal differences between the instruments, 7 strings are normally set up for playing metal these days, if you want to record some clean parts one of your other guitars will probably sound better.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

- John Petrucci
- Steve Vai
- Rusty Cooley
- Jeff Loomis

Yep.

Pretty much bet they and others like them use a 7+ stringed guitar only when musically necessary. How often that is varies, of course.

I suspect, additionally, if they were restricted to using one guitar, they'd have absolutely no problem playing 6 string tunes on a 7+, due to their proficiency.

Quote by Pac_man0123
Good lord this thread is just full of demented opinions spewed by pompous 14 year olds that think they know what they're talking about.

For songs that you don't need the 7th string for, it's just more practical to have a 6 string. You can claim that simply improving technique would eliminate that, but some of the most technically proficient players in the world use 6 strings on songs they could use 7 strings for.

- John Petrucci
- Steve Vai
- Rusty Cooley
- Jeff Loomis

Just to name a few.

TL;DR, it's more practical to use a 6 string where you only need 6 strings.

+ 1,000,000
Most metal is based around chugging on your lowest string while you can do it on your 7 string you will probably get nowhere near the amount of aggression avoiding the 7th string even if you do develop a technique to avoid the 7 string..
Also while you can use drop tunings above A it is difficult to get the entire tuning to make logical sense with a 7 string

ps +1,000,000 on the list. I was going to bring up Petrucci and vai.

Also another name to the use 6 strings as well as 7 list...
periphery which i'm sure half of the people spewing that crap are fans of.
good band though
still thought i'd bring them up.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jan 15, 2012,
Quote by coolstoryangus
+ 1,000,000
Most metal is based around chugging on your lowest string while you can do it on your 7 string you will probably get nowhere near the amount of aggression avoiding the 7th string even if you do develop a technique to avoid the 7 string..
Also while you can use drop tunings above A it is difficult to get the entire tuning to make logical sense with a 7 string

ps +1,000,000 on the list. I was going to bring up Petrucci and vai.

Also another name to the use 6 strings as well as 7 list...
periphery which i'm sure half of the people spewing that crap are fans of.
good band though
still thought i'd bring them up.

I was thinking about bringing them up, but they have more reason to use 6 strings since their 6 strings songs are in drop C or drop C with a low Bb or A.
Page 1 of 2