I have a dilemna...I am 22 years old...I graduated last year with a bachelors degree and am now in a masters program.

I have thoughts that I really dont know if I can see myself doing this stuff for the rest of my life...I am really depressed here and feel like life is so boring.

I love music and have played and taught guitar during my undergrad but simply do not have the time to play while in grad school. Does anyone have any opinions/expereinces about pursuing music as a career (teaching/recording/etc). I know its a tough field but music is something that really excites me. I wonder if I could somehow use my BA degree to get a medicore job while I work towards establishing some kind of music career...I dont know -__-

Any thoughts are welcome! thankyou
Finish school. It'd be more beneficial to have that under your belt, should the music thing fail.
Quote by goest
Finish school. It'd be more beneficial to have that under your belt, should the music thing fail.

agreed, finish school, then music, then whatever else if that fails.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Quote by dvm25
I have a dilemna...I am 22 years old...I graduated last year with a bachelors degree and am now in a masters program.

I have thoughts that I really dont know if I can see myself doing this stuff for the rest of my life...I am really depressed here and feel like life is so boring.

I love music and have played and taught guitar during my undergrad but simply do not have the time to play while in grad school. Does anyone have any opinions/expereinces about pursuing music as a career (teaching/recording/etc). I know its a tough field but music is something that really excites me. I wonder if I could somehow use my BA degree to get a medicore job while I work towards establishing some kind of music career...I dont know -__-

Any thoughts are welcome! thankyou

How long does the master program take you to finish?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Don't be an idiot, finish the goddamn university or whatever building you're learning in. There will be plenty of time to play.
BA in what though? You could possibly get a good job already.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
program is 2 years...just seems like a long way to go

and I am not trying to be an idiot...just having internal conflict...its tough deciding what you want to do in life =(
Quote by dvm25

and I am not trying to be an idiot...just having internal conflict...its tough deciding what you want to do in life =(

Just stay, it will be worth the while.
^Truth. But don't rush into the whole band thing without a fall back plan. 2 years will fly by and you'll be back to music in no time.
Quote by dvm25

Do what you think is best. Just realize two things: 1. chances of getting any decent job in music are slim 2. do you have enough money to finish the master course if your plan doesn't work out?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Do what you think is best. Just realize two things: 1. chances of getting any decent job in music are slim 2. do you have enough money to finish the master course if your plan doesn't work out?

You have to be realistic. I know your suppose to "follow your dreams" and "you can do anything you set your mind to", but you'll be way better off getting your masters degree. Then get into music more as a hobby and see where that takes you.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
As a high school drop out, I would kill to be able to get a graduate degree, let alone an undergrad. So IMO, stay in school.
If you think you can get a job to support yourself with the education you already have, I say go for it. If you aren't going to be happy with wherever a masters degree takes you, then you're basically spending time and money to make yourself even more unhappy. You need to have a backup plan though, only an idiot would pursue music and have nothing to fall back on.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
Quote by dvm25

I turned 37 last week and I still haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up.

2 years is nothing. Finish your course, you can still work on your music in your spare time. When you're finished, you'll have a better chance to do something with your life if the music thing doesn't happen, and more often than not, it doesn't.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I didn't even attend post secondary education before pursuing my dreams of being in a band and making music. I just started right after high school. Band picked up, done multiple Canada tours and festivals, I have endorsements from guitar and amp companies and trust me when i say go to school first. I'm kicking myself real hard now for not going when I had the chance to go for far cheaper than I do now :/

Just my side of the story from someone who has made a small trek of success in that world. Your Education is far far more important to finish and have behind your name. I wish you the best of luck on your education my friend
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by Portuguese_boy
You're a ****ing idiot if you're really 22 and considering quitting education for music.

Is that your way of giving advice? fail.

And thanks everyone else, your feedback is much appreciated!
Quote by Portuguese_boy
You're a ****ing idiot if you're really 22 and considering quitting education for music.

He already finished his education and got a degree. Most people don't go to graduate school after they get their undergraduate degree.

Do what you want, TS.
Finish school, I implore you. A masters degree is a good thing to have. You've started, you might as well finish or it'll be a complete waste of time.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by MakinLattes
He already finished his education and got a degree. Most people don't go to graduate school after they get their undergraduate degree.

Do what you want, TS.

In the USA that is. In europe no one would hire you.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ