I just started out playing guitar not too long ago. I was wondering whether is there such a thing as "too slow" slow practice? Meaning that you practice at too slow a speed that your brain doesn't seem to register a thing?
When you're practicing slow is the only time when your brain registers what you're doing
There isn't. In fact, the slower you go, the easier and more likely your brain will absorb everything that you are doing, whereas if you go even a bit too fast your brain is going to have a hard time catching up and digesting all of the information as you practice.
Mh, maybe you're playing 'too slow' for your brain to actually put in any effort, but perhaps your fingers / hand muscles are.
As far as I know, the entire 'slow practise' story just comes down to practising at a speed at which you can play a certain thing perfectly. If you can't play something perfectly, you are playing too fast. If you're playing something really really slow but the timing is perfect and the notes all sound clearly, you're doing it right. You just need more practise to really get that muscle memory.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Not really. The main factor in "whether stuff goes in" is how much you're concentrating on getting it right.

If there is a speed that's too slow I can confirm it's slower than 1/4 of a note a second.
I'd contend that the only time you can ever practice something too slowly is when you lose focus because you can't keep your complete awareness on it or when you take so long to practice something that you never reap the seeds that you sow. In perspective, I've practiced certain stretchy - *cough* Chopin-inspired *cough* - legato passages at one note per six seconds, making sure that it literally sounded like liquid glass pouring from my strings. Suffice to say, it was hella fun, but I wasn't quite able to release such sonorous tones in the air as I had in my head.

On a separate occasion, I developed a part of my warm-up by literally taking 18 seconds to fret a single note, then 3 more to play/pick it. I was focusing on keeping nothing moving in my hands, arms, and shoulders except for that ring finger and the requisite picking muscles. It was surprisingly helpful, and I then used another 8 seconds to relax the finger and return it to resting position. I expanded this to the rest of my fingers; 2 minutes or so for the whole thing, and my fingers seemed outrageously coordinated, placebo or not. Funny thing, actually, as I inadvertently mixed one of your new exercises, Freepower, the seventh, I believe, with this very concept. I did everything in my power to keep everything relaxed, and I think my playing for the next hour benefited immensely from it.

In conclusion: play it slow, play it right; play it faster, play it right; play it how you want it to sound, play it right; play it, play it right.
You might could use some double modals.
Last edited by AETHERA at Dec 11, 2011,
I would say that there is such a thing as 'too slow' practice, but not for the reason you stated. If you go very slow, but pay attention and take it in, what you said wouldn't matter. The only way you could practice 'too slow' is if you're already comfortable and aren't pushing yourself to improve.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221