I think this is where this goes, however if it doesn't I'll be glad to repost else where.
I'm kind of new to this site I don't post a lot... but I digress.

I love listening to music like Green Day, NoFx, Breaking Benjamin, AC/DC, the Offspring, Rise Against, bloc party and others like them, however, I don't make music much like them. I love punk and other forms of rock but my music is often slower, acoustic and somber. (I've only made two songs so far, I'm a beginner guitarist.) The artists I like are usually fast and loud, my music is nothing like them is it just my style or something else?

I hope I'm posting this correctly. please let me know if not, thanks for the help!
This belongs in Musician Talk, you'll get much better help there man. This forum's for Lyrics and Writing.

I don't know much about this, but since you're only starting out you'll start to sound more like your influences as you advance. Music requires patience, young padawan.

Quote by DaleZ93
I think this is where this goes, however if it doesn't I'll be glad to repost else where.
I'm kind of new to this site I don't post a lot... but I digress.

I love listening to music like Green Day, NoFx, Breaking Benjamin, AC/DC, the Offspring, Rise Against, bloc party and others like them, however, I don't make music much like them. I love punk and other forms of rock but my music is often slower, acoustic and somber. (I've only made two songs so far, I'm a beginner guitarist.) The artists I like are usually fast and loud, my music is nothing like them is it just my style or something else?

I hope I'm posting this correctly. please let me know if not, thanks for the help!

How to write a pop-punk song: Learn a major scale. Play power chords and use these chords; 1, 3, 4, 5. Learn octave chords. You've got an album
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
As you said, apparently you dont have much experience on writing.

As you become more experient, the music you like will flow out of your brain more easily.
At first, you will get music you probably dont like much.

An advice for you:
When you decide to write, go to a quiet corner of your house with your guitar, and focus 100% on playing with sounds you get out of it (forget about everything else and focus). This way you get better quality riffs, arrangements, and everything.
Last edited by vitorlp at Dec 11, 2011,
Rip them off until you fart out something original. They're right, though. ^

MOCOSO LIKE ME
*moved to MT*

Don't worry about what comes out of yourself musically. If it's not what you want then you're basing your opinion too much on outside sources instead of yourself, because we're all different musicians in one or another.

Really, the music we listen to is just a form of inspiration for your own music. It isn't "you", and it shouldn't determine anything unless you allow it to, which is essentially another way of squashing your own creativity and being false.
^ i disagree with that in that, if its not the song / music you want then you should probably learn how to play what you want, not what you're limited to. That being said everyone starts somewhere and it sounds like the ts is a beginner which is the perfect time to learn all the songs from all the genres you want. Once you learn a bunch of songs you'll start noticing genre respective things. The more you learn the more things you'll notice.
first of all learn music theory, sounding like you're influence is hard when you don't know what they're doing from a musical point of view
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by z4twenny
^ i disagree with that in that, if its not the song / music you want then you should probably learn how to play what you want, not what you're limited to. That being said everyone starts somewhere and it sounds like the ts is a beginner which is the perfect time to learn all the songs from all the genres you want. Once you learn a bunch of songs you'll start noticing genre respective things. The more you learn the more things you'll notice.
Obviously it's a good habit to get into when you stretch yourself and play outside your comfort zone, but it's another thing altogether to only play the music you're listening to and feeling concerned when you're not doing what your heroes are doing.
Quote by DaleZ93
I love punk and other forms of rock but my music is often slower, acoustic and somber. (I've only made two songs so far, I'm a beginner guitarist.) The artists I like are usually fast and loud, my music is nothing like them is it just my style or something else?

I bolded your answer.

Ultimately, right now, you're a beginner, which means you're not even really "writing" your music. You're just sort of stumbling across stuff that sounds okay to you. That's fine, it's a normal part of your musical development.

But ultimately, your goal is to get to a place as a musician where you can think of a sound and know how to create it on your instrument, where your BRAIN rather than the random movements of your fingers are in control of what sounds you're making.

But that comes with a lot of practice, experience, and training. You're a beginner. You're not there yet. It's fine. WIth work, you can get there.
Quote by HotspurJr
I bolded your answer.

Ultimately, right now, you're a beginner, which means you're not even really "writing" your music. You're just sort of stumbling across stuff that sounds okay to you. That's fine, it's a normal part of your musical development.

But ultimately, your goal is to get to a place as a musician where you can think of a sound and know how to create it on your instrument, where your BRAIN rather than the random movements of your fingers are in control of what sounds you're making.

But that comes with a lot of practice, experience, and training. You're a beginner. You're not there yet. It's fine. WIth work, you can get there.

Thanks this helped a lot! As well as what AngryGoldfish said too.
I'll just also add:

Perhaps you don't really want to sound like what you think are your "influences". I do agree that the above "beginner guitarist" point is a good one, that you're developing your ear for what sounds good.

However, if you're a self-proclaimed metal head and you start writing country ballads, well maybe you unconciously are a bigger fan of country than metal.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by river.wild
Rip them off until you fart out something original.
This ^ is really good advice for your situation. I think it's possibly the best advice offered so far. (I don't say that to diminish the other great advice given so far. I say it because this really is great advice.)

Quote by AlanHB
However, if you're a self-proclaimed metal head and you start writing country ballads, well maybe you unconciously are a bigger fan of country than metal.
i think this^ is definitely something to think about.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Dec 12, 2011,