Is it possible? Well, I'm sure it is possible, but can it sound good? I play indie/rock/alt mostly. I'm not a super amazing bass player or anything, or a fantastic singer, but could it work? =/
Anything is possible. Feasible? Maybe not so much. Find some other musicians to play with, you'll have a much fuller sound.
it could work if you were good, TBH. keep practicing keep creating. You need to have a lot of good technique and creativity, no one wants to hear you just play smells like teen spirit bass line and sing for instance.

Thrones is a guy who sings, plays bass and has a drum machine/synth with him. You'd also probably want something like my setup, several amps and cabs, stereo style bass, octave pedal, fuzz, auto wah. Also since your alone maybe a looper. The part about being a succesful one man band opposed to a singer songwriter, is layers in the music, like a real band. Of course clean just skilled playing works, but virtuoso style kind of annoys me, but that's just my opinion.

Lastly, this is a very unorthodox setup, so be prepared to be doing this alone at home, busking or open mic nights esp. if you are so new to bass you don't have one yet. But good luck and let us know if you keep at it.
It could work but it would be incredibly difficult.... I think that you would need more than bass and vocals (you should try to find other people who play stuff) + I think that you should actually learn and come back and ask that after you have had experience with a bass. Then you might rethink how hard it is to actually play good music even with other people, until you've actually learned to be a relatively good player (assuming you're a beginner).

Last edited by destroyaz at Dec 11, 2011,
I once saw an acoustic singer-songwriter guy with a bass drum pedal hooked up to the suitcase he carried it around in to add some rhythm, for what it's worth. Prolly wont help a bass player much though..
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Why not get yourself a looper, play some guitar riffs and loop them, throw in a drum track and play your bass over that? Lots of people do, and they sound just fine. If you are suggesting that you try to play four or five instruments at once, I suggest you forget it. Such foolishness was never anything more than a novelty, and would not be appreciated by today's audiences.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Be like victor wooten maybe?
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
I don't know about being a one person band, but Om manages it quite well with just a Drummer and Bass Player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orr0kf9RSK0

Quote by askrere
You'd also probably want something like my setup, several amps and cabs, stereo style bass, octave pedal, fuzz, auto wah. Also since your alone maybe a looper. The part about being a succesful one man band opposed to a singer songwriter, is layers in the music, like a real band.

I would also recommend this. Since you would be the one person in the band, you would pretty much have to play all parts. You might be able to loop you playing your bass muted for a drum beat, and then you can throw in some crazy effects to make it more interesting.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King