Considering getting some IGs for my Epi LP Stabdard.

I'm wanting a bit more 'bite' in the bridge and, I don't know, SOMETHING more in the neck.

Contemplating a Hot Slag and Rolling Mill in Bridge/Neck respectively.

I can't help but question the price? That's the only issue. Reviews are fantastic, clips sound ace... But the price?
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
the price is because they guy who sells them (axetec.co.uk) manufactures them, whereas pups like DiM and SD manufacture them, and then sell them to wholesalers, who sell them to retailers, to sell them to you, thats 3 more people looking for a profit margin

EDIT: I use irongear pups in my LP, I love them dearly and will probably never change them until I start winding my own
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by MickAlmighty
Considering getting some IGs for my Epi LP Stabdard.

I'm wanting a bit more 'bite' in the bridge and, I don't know, SOMETHING more in the neck.

Contemplating a Hot Slag and Rolling Mill in Bridge/Neck respectively.

I can't help but question the price? That's the only issue. Reviews are fantastic, clips sound ace... But the price?

They're great pickups, and they're sure to make a difference to your Epiphone. I've only tried the Steamhammer and Hammerhead, and I have a feeling they'd be too hot for you. Stick with an Alnico if you can.

Have you considered the Dirty Torque and Blues Engine set?
I love the Hot Slag in the bridge of my strat - I didn't buy because of the price, I bought because I'd heard one, and it's just the tone I was looking for.

Couldn't fault anything, it's as well made as any other pickup I've come across, the packaging isn't as glossy as some of the bigger names - but who cares, and the customer service was really good.
Well, I didn't look at them for the price, it was just when I saw the price I got a bit questioning.

But yeah, the whole retail-retailers makes perfect sense.

And yeah, I considered the blues combination, but I want something fairly hot in the bridge. Considering maybe a Blues in the neck with a Slag in the bridge?

Could be good.
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
I use the blues engine in the neck and the dirty torque (built as the hot match for the blues engine) in the bridge, it's actually a super sweet combo, although the neck has a little too much highs for me, but that's what tone controls are for >.<

the dirty torque isn't super hot, but it's got quite an edge to it
Ibanez WD7 Wah
You can get the torque over-wound can't you??

Cause that could be pretty sweet
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
sadly no, (i say sadly, but i like the output on mine)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Ah yeah, it's the RM you can get over-wound. My bad
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
shame you're not closer to me, I have the Epi LP standard with the blues/torque combo in you could have tried
Ibanez WD7 Wah
I have their pickups in every guitar i build and they're honestly some of the best pickups i've heard, not only for the price but easily comparable to the bigger pickup companies.
As for an overwound torque im not sure but the rolling mill can come overwound
Aw man, cheers for being a dude! How versatile is the combination? Cause I play LITERALLY every style in a few different bands

And yeah, I checked after I said and it's the RM
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
This is a very opportune thread - I've been thinking of upgrading pups in my LP copy and these seemed like the deal of the year. Hot Slag for the bridge then, not sure about the neck yet. Want the bridge to be heavy as feck and the neck to give Slashy SWOM tones.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Thread stealing MF'er haha.

The Roller Mill is meant to be in the same kinda slash thing. Look on the site,
'think slash, not far' or something like that
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
What can I say, I'm a thievin b'stard lol
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I get good blues, rock, country sounds out of the pups as is, jazz is ok but I actually have a jazz guitar so generally use that one. Punk isn't bad but I don't play much of it. Metal needs some effect help as the torque isn't quite hot enough, but again I don;t play much of it, so can't really comment on them too much.

In general though, it's a hell of a combo and they sound gorgeous both on as well as together.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Ima need something that can handle metal too :/.

Hence my thinking Hot Slag
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
a good TS emulation pedal with a good driving input buffer would do that for you though I guess
Ibanez WD7 Wah
I said SLAG god dammit!!!!
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
You just want to be able to say you have a hot slag don't you? Out off interest, what amp and effects you using?
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Little bit, yeah. Then I'l name the guitar after my man-***** mate. 'yeah, this guitars called Callum. It's got a hot slag!'

And my gear;

Guitar > Pitchblack > Tremonti Wah > TS > 6505+

with a small stone in the FX Loop
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
If it's the stock ibanez ts it won't run the torque for metal, but a simple buffer driven clipper circuit would help.

Personally that's what I do, because the combo is so versatile I use some custom made pedals for the higher gain stuff and it pulls it off well
Ibanez WD7 Wah
It's the short run 1980s 'Metal Screamer'

Not a bad pedal, if I do say so myself
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
been looking at the schematic... it's... interesting, runs things with more bias voltage in places, and has slightly better bass response, basically no different though :p
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Yeah, does seem to tighten up the bottom end EVER SO SLIGHTLY more than a regular TS.

Not a bad pedal, to say I trades it for 20 Mayfair haha
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
not a bad price, can't offer you one of my tubescreamer-y pedals for that price sadly, would be interesting adapting one for metal :p
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Aye. Seems to have a Touch more gain than a standard though.

What kinda pedals dya make btw??
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Well, I make a tubescreamer that's somewhere between a ZenDrive and TS808 although the tone circuit is completely different. Still got a design in progress for a box of rock based distortion, built my copy but I'm not happy with it as a production model. Still building my range honestly but got some eq based designs in the pipeline, variable frequency booster, some bass effects when I get my bass amp to test them, something RAT based when my 308s (the RAT chip) arrive from china.

Once I'm happy with all those I'm gonna get into optoelectronics and LFO, for compressors, tremolos, vibratos, auto wahs etc. but I've still got a lot to learn till then.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Well, sounds like your having a fun time. Should look into doing something different/new? Everyone does TS and RATs and the like. Mix shit up a bit! Marshall in a box? Why not peavey in a box. Or Vox in a Box? (the last one rolls off the Tongue really well, but can't think how you'd go about such a thing)

Been checking out your build thread. How's that coming?? Been no updates for some time!!!
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
the guitar build? well I don't have a garage or workshop so I need dry weather to do anything, plus getting my router and sash cramps for Christmas so hopefully get it all put together unfinished fairly quickly in the spring. The amp build is currently in reconsideration, somewhere along the lines of Craig (CEC Amps) 12V push pull designed redesigned as single ended, but I need some cash to get some new bits for it

on pedals... the trouble with doing something different is it require me to be better at electronics and I'm not, I'm a carpenter, but the pedals are cheaper than guitars and im also currently unemployed >.<
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Dec 13, 2011,
Yeah, it's a Pain in the arse eh? What with all these none-existent jobs around
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
agree also have a 1yo daughter that is a huge cash sink too >.< she's super cute though so there is a plus side
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Yeah, damned kids! My Niece is only just 2. She's too cute for me to handle!!!
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
on topic... just had a thought about the dirty torque... my little amp isn't really built for metal (VHT Special 6 Ultra) and that might be where I am having issues with pulling off a super hot edgy metal sound
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Aye, could well be. However, done some more search into the Slag and Mill, and I think the combination should be pretty much exactly what I'm after.

High output squeelable bridge, and a 'slash-with-balls' kinda lead.

When I finally get the buggers and install and all that jazz, I'l try my best to get a review written
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...