I've decided to install a seymour duncan dimbucker pickup onto the bridge position of my peavey predator plus EXP since i'm not too happy with the stock pickups, and it'd sound SO much better with a good pickup on it.
Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good neck pickup? I'm a metal/hard rock kinda guy, so something heavy. I'm trying to avoid things like the sustaniac that would require body modifications to my guitar.
Look at Seymour Duncan neck pick ups, see which one you think would be best. Try it out
Well, Dime used a Duncan '59 in the neck, so you could always go for one of those if you're after his tone(I haven't heard much nice about the Dimebucker though, are you sure you want it?).

I have a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck of my ML(which, due to playability issues, is collecting dust, sadly), and that thing has a very nice tone for leads IMO, it's smooth but it's not muddy, and it has very nice cleans IMOif you ever need cleans.

Now, if you just want to use the neck for shredding, the DiMarzio Liquifire's supposed to be very good for that. I have no experience with it, but you could check that out too. Hope you find something you like, man! Cheers!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
Well, Dime used a Duncan '59 in the neck, so you could always go for one of those if you're after his tone(I haven't heard much nice about the Dimebucker though, are you sure you want it?).

I've been looking on guitar center and almost all of the reviews say it's great.... what have you heard about it?
Quote by Slashiepie
Go to the Bareknuckles forum.. you wont ever buy any other brand when you try a BKP out :P
Better yet check out The Creamery, scatterwound pickups handmade to order in England just like Bare Knuckle but with more options and about £20 cheaper per pickup.

But I wouldn't bother with either. People who use Dimebuckers probably aren't the sort of people that would notice or even want the character of scatterwound pickups and the guitar he's got isn't really one that would show off a scatterwound pickup well. Sometimes handmade isn't the answer, sometimes the best thing can be something machine-wound to a very specific, tight sound.

SD Jazz is a great neck pickup metal styles and it's fairly good for hard rock. It can sometimes sound a little bit too bright and clear. The SD Pearly Gates is great for rock and okay for metal. It can sometimes sound a little too warm and muddy. The 59 is in the middle of the two. It's not perfect for either metal or rock but it's better at metal than the Pearly Gates and better at rock than the Jazz. I would pick one of those three, depending on how much you play with a metal tone vs how much you play with a rock tone.
Having owned the a Dimebucker, i would say pass on it. It was pretty disappointing. Not a lot of clarity. Metal is a pretty broad genre...any particular bands you like the tone of? A lot of people around here swear by the Dimarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo. I'm not a fan of Petrucci but i have to admit they are pretty beast for metal. Loved the Liquifire in the neck for solos with a lot of sweeping and such. The notes don't get covered up by gain like a lot of pickups i have tried. Maybe worth checking out? I also like Dimarzio D-Activators personally. They're made to take a lot of benefits from active pickups and puts them into a passive pickup so you kinda get the best of both worlds.