I'm just looking for opinions here. Ultimately, I'll go try before I buy anything, but I wanna see what people are thinking about the stuff I'm considering. There might be a suggestion I haven't thought of yet.

Influences: Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, John Mayer, Hendrix, Zep, Buddy Guy, Clapton/Cream (a couple contemporaries and a lot of bluesy classic stuff)

Budget: Trying to keep the price down a bit, but don't mind spending some good money. I do know that I don't want to have to screw around a lot with fixes. I'm super tired of that with the amp that I use now...

The clean channel is definitely important. Responsive, round, organic are words I'd use to describe the tone in my head. I don't usually go too crazy as far as drive. Vintage definitely. I heard an overdrive a while back that was an eq bypass boost. Straight power out of the output tubes. AH-mazing!

I'm thinking about possibly going Mesa. Trem-o-verb? I know its out of production, but if you've used one what was your experience? Head/cab or combo? Were the tones easy to dial in (plug and play or did you have to tweak it)? Trem? Verb? Did you mod? Is there another mesa that you'd recommend?

Bogner International's sound really good but I'd have to buy 2 and run stereo to get what I want... Then if I gig them idk if I'd have the head room to play with.

I like Fenders too, but most of them I have the 2 amp issue with again. NOTHING wrong with the headroom there! I'd totally snag a Bassman for my cleans if I had enough to pick up a dirtier amp too.

Maybe a hand wired AC30 with CBlues. I've heard that if they're not done by hand the AC30's just aren't the same.

Looked into Jackson Ampworks, and will always have good things to say about the amps and the tones that come out of those things even at flat eq, straight plug and play. The price gets me though.

I'm open to suggestions too. Let me know: used/own, plug and play or did it take work to get the tone, head/combo, did you mod, and what does it go for?
Vox are great. I would look into egnater and blackstar. Both are great amps. I've heard good things about jet city, but never tried one cause no one carries them where I live. Honestly, if you are going with the gritty blues like hendrix and clapton I would seriously look at blackstar. They have a nice grit to them like the old marshalls. Also look at old marshalls, the new ones suck.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Very overlooked amp on these forums, but Carvin Nomad or Bel-Air. They also make a head version, the VT-50.

My dad had the same "2 amp" issue that you are having. He wanted an amp that had great cleans and good classic rock drive all in one. He upgraded from a Peavey Delta Blues to the Carvin Bel-Air with V30's for $800, and he says it's worlds better than the Peavey, which he felt was too boxy and muddy sounding.

The clean channel is definitely important. Responsive, round, organic are words I'd use to describe the tone in my head. I don't usually go too crazy as far as drive. Vintage definitely. I heard an overdrive a while back that was an eq bypass boost. Straight power out of the output tubes. AH-mazing!
Missed this paragraph.

Based on how you describe the sound you are looking for, that Carvin I just mentioned above is what you want. He is always describing the cleans on it as being "so precise with every note that it's almost acoustic sounding." And although you don't need the drive, it's definitely there if you need it. And it sounds great.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 11, 2011,
vox should definitely be pretty high on your list. bright chimey cleans and you can get a pretty nice crunch out of them when you need it
be more specifc with your budget. trying to keep the price down but willing to spend alot is not really much help to us. If you really are willing to spend the money, look into matchless. anything of them really. I have a spitfire, yet to hear a clean tone better, low enough wattage to get those power tubes cooking and takes pedals like a champ.

when i got it, it was the same price as the handwired AC30 and there was no competition when it came to sound and build quality.
$1500 is kinda my target, but I can go a bit above $2k if I need to. Its the best budget I've had to work with ever, and I don't wanna just go with the first thing on my mind.

I've plugged into a bunch of Egnater's and they're great amps. I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on one...

Carvin Bel-Air and VT50 look pretty sweet! I don't really know anything about them though. Build quality solid? You know if they're PCB, turret, eyelet... etc? The web page didn't say. I had a bad experience with PCB. Is it kinda like Morgan? You just have to buy it to try it?
Quote by bpdeem
Carvin Bel-Air and VT50 look pretty sweet! I don't really know anything about them though. Build quality solid? You know if they're PCB, turret, eyelet... etc? The web page didn't say. I had a bad experience with PCB. Is it kinda like Morgan? You just have to buy it to try it?
Build quality is definitely solid, better than your average Peavey. Don't let the low price fool you. Because you are ordering factory-direct, you eliminate the middle-man (aka: Musicians Friend, Zzounds, etc.) that has to also make a profit from selling the products. If their stuff was sold through retailers it would easily be a couple hundred dollars more.

Not sure about the circuit board, never opened this one.

Unfortunately there is nowhere you can try them out to see how they sound, though my dad bought his after listening to several online clips, and liking the sounds of those, and he is more than just satisfied with his. I also bought my Jet City without trying it (kinda, I had before played a Soldano Hot Rod which is what it is based off of). The trick is, if you like how it sounds recorded or through a cheap camcorder mic, chances are you will like the sound of it in real life.

I think these were the two clips that had him officially sold on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK-CPSN4LHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkrgWbInOWs&feature=related