I know this amp is a 90s model and two channels but with tremolo and reverb but, will it sound like the Dual Rectifier Solo? Or , did Mesa tame the beast and kill its awesomeness? I'm really considering a new Splawn but can save a lot of money on this Tremoverb. I have an Agile Les Paual with SD Jb and Jazz pickups,a Schecter Blackjack ATX, and a Fender Telecaster.I also have an American made strat I'd have to get rid of for the Splawn Quick Rod.But, the Strat hardly ever leaves the case!

I play mainly, Metallica, GnR, but dabble around with classic rock,blues, and even country. I really want to get the screaming Marshall tone which I know the Splawn will nail, but what about the Mesa? Then again, will the Mesa be so good at Metallica and close enough to the Marshall sound I can deal with it?Ive got to play the Splawn briefly, but not the Tremoverb. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for such a long post, but wanted to provide you with as much info as possible.
The Tremoverb will hit that amount of gain just fine, while excelling a lot more at low/mid gain than the Dual Recto heads.

Many people think that the Tremoverb is the best Mesa ever made. It's a killer amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
But what about , like the GnR November Rain Solo tone. Will the Mesa do that good.I know the Stiletto Trident is a triple rec but it didn't get the low end thump like I thought it was going to. And I have the Mesa 2x12 recto cab.
Quote by bwake72
But what about , like the GnR November Rain Solo tone. Will the Mesa do that good.I know the Stiletto Trident is a triple rec but it didn't get the low end thump like I thought it was going to. And I have the Mesa 2x12 recto cab.

DJ Ashba is using a Dual Rec on tour with GnR right now and sounds great playing the November Rain solo. I say go for it. Look at some of the GnR 2011 tour videos and listen to Ashba's tone, it will give you a good idea of what the Mesa can do for mid gain like GnR.
the tremoverb will hit that fine.

i think it's one of the best rectifier amps mesas made.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Is it the same as the solo on the high modern selection? And will it be heavier sounding than the Stiletto Trident?
Tremoverb is a sweet amp no question. I have GAS for one too. Its cleans are arguably better than the Splawns and you'll have to get a reverb pedal for the Splawn. The Splawn will more or less excel at that mid heavy spanked articulate modded Marshall tone. If you have not seen these guys check out some of their clips....the lead guitarist uses a Splawn Quick Rod. I see them on craigslist and forum classifieds in the $1200 range - sometimes cheaper. And Scott Splawn is the type of guy who answers his own phone and is very accessible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_vkPpPUv8A

There are other amps out there too - so don't hesitate to follow the Sticky to get better, more rounded advice.

Quote by VegasBlues
DJ Ashba is using a Dual Rec on tour with GnR right now and sounds great playing the November Rain solo. I say go for it. Look at some of the GnR 2011 tour videos and listen to Ashba's tone, it will give you a good idea of what the Mesa can do for mid gain like GnR.

That's interesting. Good to know.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 11, 2011,
I just am so afraid that if I don't get the Splawn I'm going to be kicking my self later.Then again I may be really happy with the Tremoverb. I do think the Tremoverb wil do the heavier stuff better, maybe even the blues, just don't know.
They're both completely different voiced amps. The Tremoverb is heavily voiced in the low mids, while the Quickrod is high mid heavy. The Quickrod will cut through more and be significantly brighter, but the Tremoverb will also sound "bigger" and more full, sitting in a mix better, rather than dominating it. The Quickrod would probably be better for leads, while the Tremoverb is going to be better at rhythms. The Tremoverb will have better cleans and smoother leads, whereas the Quickrod will be more aggressive. For the price I've seen the Tremoverbs going lately, you could almost buy two for the price of a QR.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
They're both completely different voiced amps. The Tremoverb is heavily voiced in the low mids, while the Quickrod is high mid heavy. The Quickrod will cut through more and be significantly brighter, but the Tremoverb will also sound "bigger" and more full, sitting in a mix better, rather than dominating it. The Quickrod would probably be better for leads, while the Tremoverb is going to be better at rhythms. The Tremoverb will have better cleans and smoother leads, whereas the Quickrod will be more aggressive. For the price I've seen the Tremoverbs going lately, you could almost buy two for the price of a QR.

Buy two and have money left over ! That's the deal I can get on the Tremoverb.
splawn nitro > QR.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ not for:

Metallica, GnR, but dabble around with classic rock,blues, and even country.

I dunno... I'd probably put it ahead of the QR for that, because it has significantly better cleans

Might not do Classic rock as good, but it'd probably excel more at country and do about the same on blues. It's also more saturated, so will have a bigger tone for the heavier stuff, whether that's good or bad is up to the user, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i'd say regardless if you're gonna have one amp at first and you need a fair bit of versatility the tremoverb is a good bet.

It's just got lots of shit to play around with.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Going to check out Tremoverb today.I can get it for $800 vs. the Splawns $1670, but the Splawn would be new as the Tv is used.
Any ideas as to what to check out on a used Tremoverb besides playing it and turning all knobs and switches? I would hate to get home and it quit on me, and it is old, mid 90s.
This is a huge purchase for me and I really don't want to regret it. The extra money the Splawn costs would also be a lifetime warranty.Then again, that's a lot of money....lol
QR may be better than Nitro for some things, but however whenever i think Dual Rec, i think of heavy lows and kind of the thunder, that is what the nitro has only more, its blow your gf panties off kind of bass.

however i must say i may be in the market for a Dual Rec, or a Fryette or Framus.

when i hear a quickrod, i hear kickass JCM800 with a little extra on tap.

when i hear a promod, i hear a slightly better defined and tamable tone than the quickrod.

i haven't really messed around with either of the cleans on the splawns, but what i did run them at sounded pretty similar between the amps. probably no difference than what would occur by using different branded tubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, thanks for the help everyone. I am now a VERY happy owner of a Dual Rectifier Two Channel Tremoverb. It far exceeded my expectations! I also have the 2x12 recto cab.Lovein it!The cleans on this thing are awesome too!
Again thanks for all the help.
^ that's awesome.....we'll look forward to your NAD

I want a Tremoverb too

Quote by trashedlostfdup
QR may be better than Nitro for some things, but however whenever i think Dual Rec, i think of heavy lows and kind of the thunder, that is what the nitro has only more, its blow your gf panties off kind of bass.

I've never played a Nitro but one of the complaints I hear about them is that the bass is too much. I can relate to that because I have tons of bass in my Quick Rod already. Some say that the Quick Rod is better in that regard for lower tunings (like C) which is the only tuning I've been on in the past 3 months

But yeah, Tremoverbs rock