Hey guys, i really want to learn how to shred, create fast nice sounding solos but i do not know where to start. Are there any books that may be able to help me? or can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Maybe utilize what info is already on the forum instead of making a whole new thread?

BEST tips and tricks that helped me:

relax.

use the very tips of your fingers.

don't touch frets too hard.

look ahead of time where your fingers are going.

Start covering simpler songs and work your way up.

warm up by hitting 4 consecutive frets one by one using all your fingers. alternate strings too. this helps A LOT with dexterity and eventually speed.
Theory and good technique. Start with a metronome too.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by ghghggh
Hey guys, i really want to learn how to shred, create fast nice sounding solos but i do not know where to start. Are there any books that may be able to help me? or can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Do you want to shred so you can use your aquired speed sparingly to up the intensity of a solo and take the song to new heights ?

Listen to Gary Moore, Joe Satriain, Adrian Smith, Steve Vai, Randy Rhodes, Tony Iommi etc. Analyse and learn their solos.

Or

Do you want to shred so you can play a million notes per second and treat the guitar like it's some kind of speed sport ?

Listen to Rusty Cooley and Michael Angelo Batio.
TS, are you talking about just learning to play fast or play actual shred music? I could type a wonderful long response for you, but I just want to know which it is you're referring to.
Quote by mrbabo91
Do you want to shred so you can use your aquired speed sparingly to up the intensity of a solo and take the song to new heights ?

Listen to Gary Moore, Joe Satriain, Adrian Smith, Steve Vai, Randy Rhodes, Tony Iommi etc. Analyse and learn their solos.

None of those guys are really shredders to be honest, and Smith and Iommi don't really fit with the rest of the group anyway.
Quote by :-D
TS, are you talking about just learning to play fast or play actual shred music? I could type a wonderful long response for you, but I just want to know which it is you're referring to.

None of those guys are really shredders to be honest, and Smith and Iommi don't really fit with the rest of the group anyway.

All of them guys have the ability to shred. Vai and Moore especially. Iommi uses speed sparingly but does have some chops. Don't underestimate Smith's speed, his picking technique is accurate as hell.
Quote by ghghggh

Thanks!

Well there are countless lessons and videos you can find online and order or for free. But you will probably waste much more time trying to learn it all on your own. Best thing to do would be to find a REALLY GOOD teacher. Not just any joe schmoe who claims to be the master of guitar.
Step 1 - get really good at choosing notes that sound good and finding them on the neck.
Step 2 - develop technique so you can play those notes really ****in fast.

That's it. Detailed question gets detailed answer.
Quote by mrbabo91
All of them guys have the ability to shred. Vai and Moore especially. Iommi uses speed sparingly but does have some chops. Don't underestimate Smith's speed, his picking technique is accurate as hell.

I didn't say they didn't have the ability, I said they're not shredders - there's a difference.

I haven't heard enough of Adrian Smith's playing to make an educated enough call, but Iommi does not have the ability to shred based on anything I've seen or heard. "Having chops" doesn't equate to being able to shred.
Quote by :-D
I didn't say they didn't have the ability, I said they're not shredders - there's a difference.

I haven't heard enough of Adrian Smith's playing to make an educated enough call, but Iommi does not have the ability to shred based on anything I've seen or heard. "Having chops" doesn't equate to being able to shred.

His lack of finger tips doesn't help :P
I think Iommi would laugh at being described as a shredder.

If you want to see shredders just go on YouTube. There's hundreds of 'em. Or it might be all the same guy, it's hard to tell.
Quote by Jehannum
I think Iommi would laugh at being described as a shredder.

If you want to see shredders just go on YouTube. There's hundreds of 'em. Or it might be all the same guy, it's hard to tell.

He's not a shredder, maybe he can shred. But then we need a definition of what shred is. 10nps, 15 nps ? what techniques etc ?
Quote by mrbabo91
He's not a shredder, maybe he can shred. But then we need a definition of what shred is. 10nps, 15 nps ? what techniques etc ?

I think you're right: there should be a definition, even though "we know one when we hear one".

It could go something like "a lead guitar player who puts high speed as the primary concern, and who is able to play a wide variety of techniques accurately at that speed".

Although this just pushes the uncertainty onwards to "what is 'high speed'"?
Quote by Jehannum
I think you're right: there should be a definition, even though "we know one when we hear one".

How do we "know one when we hear one"?

First reply on "shred artists" already gave a friendly argument between what is shred and what is not.

I see this more often then not, so we obviously don't know one when we hear one collectively.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
How do we "know one when we hear one"?

First reply on "shred artists" already gave a friendly argument between what is shred and what is not.

I see this more often then not, so we obviously don't know one when we hear one collectively.

It's called subjectivity. We don't know anything subjective collectively. We're individuals. I know shred when I hear it. You probably know shred when you hear it. Although we may not agree.

Therefore I agreed we should have a definition of shred, to which you did not deign to contribute.
Start off slow, then work your way up to the fast tempos. Use a metronome, drum machine, drummer, or anything that can keep your rhythm accurate. Also, learn other shred solos (even if you slow them down), just to get some phrasing ideas.
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4