just looking for some new ideas on mic arrays for guitar. electric or acoustic, metal or folk rock, whatever floats your boat.
sm 57/58
Personally, I have never recorded with a mic, but I have heard results
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Electric - Dynamics. SM57 or SM7b. Or two SM57s using Fredman technique, or a 57 and a Sennheiser MD421 doing the same.

Acoustic - An LDC and an SDC. AT4060 at the sound hole, Beyer MC930 at the 12th fret.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
2 SM57's one close to and straight in front of the cone, the other at an angle and further away. the tricky part is finding the right mix of volumes of the 2 mic's

edit : note that i have limited experience and i only experimented with 2 sm 57's and this seems to work best for me
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Last edited by vince1991 at Dec 12, 2011,
i think it depends on your budget. a sm57 (or two) on a nice guitar amp is a pretty classic setup, but it isnt the only way to go. lots of people also like the sennheiser e609 on guitar amps. ive had nice results mixing a sm57 up close, and then a condensor mic a few feet away to get some of the room.

for acoustic, same idea applies. i like the classic combination of a LDC and a SDC, but sometimes you dont need it. on a budget, the mxl 990/991 combo pack actually does a pretty solid job on an acoustic.
It depends entirely on the style and what sound I'm going for, but some set-ups I've found that I like:

Single 57 just off centre, on axis
Dual 57's, on & off axis (Fredman technique)
Single LDC for cleans (position depends on the sound I want, but usually around a foot away)
Single/Dual 57's on front, LDC in the back (getting the phase right is next to impossible, but it sounds pretty huge if you get it right)

If I'm recording in a nice room, I'll often add a room mic to all of these, again depending on style.

I've heard good things about 57 & MD241, and 57 & E609 pairings, but never had opportunities to try them out myself.

Acoustic I generally stick to either a LDC near the soundhole and a SDC at the 12th fret, or an X/Y SDC pairing between the 12th fret and the soundhole, with the LDC distanced for ambience. Occasionally if I'm in a really nice room, I'll record with a spaced pair of SDC's a couple of meters away, but results from this can be a little hit and miss.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by jof1029
i think it depends on your budget. a sm57 (or two) on a nice guitar amp is a pretty classic setup, but it isnt the only way to go. lots of people also like the sennheiser e609 on guitar amps. ive had nice results mixing a sm57 up close, and then a condensor mic a few feet away to get some of the room.

for acoustic, same idea applies. i like the classic combination of a LDC and a SDC, but sometimes you dont need it. on a budget, the mxl 990/991 combo pack actually does a pretty solid job on an acoustic.

Excellent advice all round.