Alright, I've been playing guitar for six years but I want to get a bass for recording purposes. Nothing really expensive, but not too crappy either. I'm going to be playing mostly metal and I want to go with a 5-string. I figured I'd get an expert opinion from the bass community here so here we go:

It's between this Ibanez: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Gio-GSR105EX-5-String-Bass-Guitar-105300446-i1443762.gc

And this Squier: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Affinity-5-String-Jazz-Bass-V-104482054-i1173424.gc

Which one should I get?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
What kind of metal? And i would go up maybe a couple levels in quality for recording. I wouldn't go with either one, but Tue jazz I think would do you better
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Quote by Noreee
Sorry if i sound mean but both are terrible basses :\

Ok, now that you've said it, I don't feel bad saying, you've got it spot on.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Are there any that you can recommend me for around the same price? Give or take $100? 4 or 5 string? Don't feel bad, I haven't devoted much research to bass, I just picked the Ibanez up in the store and messed with it for a few minutes the other day. Just thought I'd get an opinion.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Dec 11, 2011,
That Schecter will be very very good. Just don't start trying to get a quality country tone.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Indeed, proofreading is a dying art. Somebody call MF and straighten them out.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'd rather get the bass delivered then ring them and demand they send me a 55 string.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Thanks guys, I'll look into the Schecter! I've had great experience with them for guitars so bass from them would be the logical next step.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
Quote by RU Experienced?
You're not going to do better than that Schecter for $300 unless you go used. As much as I'm not a Schecter (or Ibanez for that matter) fan, it will be a better build quality and more veratile than the GSR. Another one to look into possibly would be the Squier 5 string VM Jazz.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB