Just recently i noticed a really loud clicking sound coming from my * licensed* floyd rose tremolo. I know that's the sort of thing you can expect from something that isn't too great quality, but it was my first experience with a floyd rose. Anyway, does anyone know what's causing this? When i dive or pull back up on the trem there's a huge clicking sound and it vibrates the strings, interrupting NH divebomb or something of the sort .... any advice would be great!!
Knife edges are probably worn out
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Check that your locking nut is tight. If its loose, it can create a clicking.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Dellinger1988
Knife edges are probably worn out

any way to fix that? or do i have to replace the mounting posts?
If the knife edge is damaged it's possible to file it back into shape. It depend on how badly it's damaged.
Quote by guitarmt30
Just recently i noticed a really loud clicking sound coming from my * licensed* floyd rose tremolo. I know that's the sort of thing you can expect from something that isn't too great quality, but it was my first experience with a floyd rose. Anyway, does anyone know what's causing this? When i dive or pull back up on the trem there's a huge clicking sound and it vibrates the strings, interrupting NH divebomb or something of the sort .... any advice would be great!!

Sounds like some dumbass adjusted the trem under tension (not directed at you guirarmt30).

Read this for an explanation of how and why your problem might have happened:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503071

Poppameth, I suggest you stop giving advice and put down the meth pipe. Yeah, filing it back into shape would do the trick...

Buy a new stud, or better yet, a new pair. It might cost you all of 10 bucks.
Last edited by ORCRiST at Dec 12, 2011,
I've talked to several professional techs and luthiers on this because I too use to think you needed to take the tension off before adjusting. Verdict is that it's fine to do it under tension on a quality bridge. How much wear do you really think you are going to put on it this way? You generally get it adjusted once and never touch it again unless you've changed something drastic about the guitar. You do realize that regular use of the trem is much more likely to cause damage than a post adjustment don't you? You are working the metal across the knife edge when you dive. When you adjust the posts you are turning the metal smoothly along the longest plane, which is the stronger dimension. I've been adjusting my cheap Korean RG270 bridge this way for 15 years and the knife edges look nearly perfect. Why? Because I don't use the trem that much. It doesn't have much to do with the post adjustments at all.
Last edited by poppameth at Dec 12, 2011,