The stock ones are getting old and I want to replace them. I'm looking for something that sounds a little bigger and overdrive a lot smoother. I would also like to at least MAINTAIN the current amount of headroom. More would be nice, but I don't want to distort any earlier. I looked into Gold Lions, but they seem a little pricey. Anything similar but cheaper?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
The stock ones are getting old and I want to replace them. I'm looking for something that sounds a little bigger and overdrive a lot smoother. I would also like to at least MAINTAIN the current amount of headroom. More would be nice, but I don't want to distort any earlier. I looked into Gold Lions, but they seem a little pricey. Anything similar but cheaper?

I'm in the same situation with my Blues Junior. I haven't bought any new tubes yet, but all the techs i've talked to have said 'go for russian tubes.' FWIW.

I'm likely to get some Sovteks once exams have finished crushing my soul.
I've had a lot of success with JJ's in my Marshall clones and they are a lot cheaper. They seem to be a fine tube.

Don't buy Sovteks ffs. Any tech that suggested Sovteks is just after return business. Just saying "Russian tubes" is dumb. The difference between a SED and a Sovtek is stellar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
JJ's aren't bad either. There are heap's of different brands to check out. But FWIW JJ's and Mullards aren't too bad just depends on what you want out of them amp.

EDIT: Didn't see cath's post as I was typing so he beat me to the point about the JJ's.
Quote by Cathbard
I've had a lot of success with JJ's in my Marshall clones and they are a lot cheaper. They seem to be a fine tube.

Don't buy Sovteks ffs. Any tech that suggested Sovteks is just after return business. Just saying "Russian tubes" is dumb. The difference between a SED and a Sovtek is stellar.

+1

I took out the Sovteks in my BJr and put in JJs... Huge improvement. I also messed around a lot with preamp tubes. I can't remember what I ended up liking and leaving in there, but I know there's at least one 12AU7 in there. Look up BillM's Blues Junior page and he has a great write-up on getting a little more headroom out of them with different preamp combos.

If you really want smooth, creamy overdrive then you need to replace the speaker.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!