Hi UG people, this is my first ever thread on UG so i hope this is the right place to post this. So i got a couple friends and made a band last month. I got the idea of recording our jam sessions or songs we play and posting on youtube. So we pulled out our cell phones and recorded It turns out a Blackberry has a decent mic, but its a bit distorted and the audio quality is bad, so we tried a camcorder our drummer got. But it's so old, that i cant get it to work with windows 7. Then, he also found a SLR camera. But it turned out worse than the blackberry! So really, my question is what should i use to record with video? Camera? Mic? I have no idea what the ideal device would be. It cant be anything too expensive, maybe highest would be $500 but go as cheap as possible please! Also i got a trial of sony vegas so any other video software recommendations would be appreciated since Vegas wont last. Thanks dudes!!!
Well if you want video, this looks like it'd be pretty good.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Id say get a used M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface and a sm58 for audio and run the interface through your computer with a cheap recording software. Set it up somewhere in the "jam room" if you will, and use it as an overhead mic. Then, just use the SLR camera for video only no audio. Finally, combine them in sony vegas and you have a nice recorded jam sesh to put on youtube without breaking the budget.
Any of you dudes got an iPhone 4? The cameras on those are pretty good, there's a trick where if you put a cushion over the mic, it fixes the input level pretty much. My mate's band uses it to record their sessions and it works pretty well. Worth a try atleadt.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
Any of you dudes got an iPhone 4? The cameras on those are pretty good, there's a trick where if you put a cushion over the mic, it fixes the input level pretty much. My mate's band uses it to record their sessions and it works pretty well. Worth a try atleadt.

Yea! That's what i told our drummer to do with his camera! But he never did. I'll make sure we try that. But no, none of us have iPhones.
@ GibsonMan321
Wow, that looks perfect! I'll have to see if any store carries it, if not i'll see what i can do. I've never bought anything online mainly due to the fact i dont have a credit card (i'm 17) and my parents are probably not willing to use theirs.
Quote by the singer 22
Id say get a used M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface and a sm58 for audio and run the interface through your computer with a cheap recording software. Set it up somewhere in the "jam room" if you will, and use it as an overhead mic. Then, just use the SLR camera for video only no audio. Finally, combine them in sony vegas and you have a nice recorded jam sesh to put on youtube without breaking the budget.

Whatt???

Yeah, that Zoom looks great. Good shout.

Alternatively, if one of you has a laptop you could get a USB mic like the Blue Yeti. If you want video to go along with that, you could use the laptop's built in webcam or whatever and sync em up afterwards. Not as convienient as a hndhelp recorder like the Zoom, but only around $100.
We used a Zoom H2 for our rehearsals and it was dandy. Surprisingly great recordings for an all-in-one hand-held unit, and dead easy to use.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I showed our drummer. he's very sold with the Zoom. He might get it for Xmas, and if not, i'm sure $75 out of all of us isn't a big deal. We'll see what happens after Xmas. Other than that, thanks for the help dudes! I'll post if we end up gettting it, but keep posting suggestions incase.