I'm recording a song with my band. If i were to describe what it sounds like i would say Mess of me by Switchfoot. Im curious on how to record the vocals. They are pretty loud so should i use a dynamic or condenser mic? What kind of room should i do it in when recording them at home? How should i place the mic? and how should i record relative to the placement of the mic?
Mic choice really depends on what you have and what the vocals happen to sound best through. I usually record vocals with a Shure SM58. You will want to see about getting a pop filter to keep the plosives under control. You can either buy one, or look on Google and learn how to make one yourself.

As for the room and mic positioning, it really all depends on where and how you are most comfortable singing. Position the mic so it is comfortable to sing into, and then try moving around until you get a good sound. The mic will pick up a few room reflections, but unless the room has some strange sound anomalies in it, you should be ok. I usually record in my living room, for example.

Also, you will probably want to apply some compression and EQ to your vocals. A quick Google search should also get you started on that endeavor.

Finally, trust your ears. When you get a good sound, you'll know it.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
I have a neuman Tlm 49 for a condenser and an audix om2 for dynamic. I sing really loud and high on most parts so should I use the neuron or audix? Or should I use both?
I'm sure, since you're recording your own stuff, that you don't have time and budget constraints that would limit your experimenting time. I would say take an extra hour to record your vocals and record a sample with each mic in different rooms and see which you like better. Try singing the quietest part and the loudest part on each mic and A/B them. Chances are it will be an easy decision to make. If you're unsure of your own ears and decision making abilities, get the rest of the band in on the decision.

In general though, stay pretty close to the mic and use a pop filter. Exact placement depends on the mic, the singer, the room, and the sound you're going for, so I can't be too specific.
Quote by the singer 22
I have a neuman Tlm 49 for a condenser and an audix om2 for dynamic. I sing really loud and high on most parts so should I use the neuron or audix? Or should I use both?

Absolutely the Neumann. Are you kidding?

Definitely have a try with the Audix though, especially if you've got nice preamps. Occasionally handheld dynamics can work (quite a few vocalists use Beta 58s in the studio) but if in doubt, always go for a good condenser.
I regularly set up two mics, put them both together to pick up the vocals. I record them both to separate channels and choose later. However, there's no way I'd bother doing that with a cheap dynamic and a Neumann. Maybe if it was a SM7b....
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.