My current rig consists of a Digitech GSP1101 pre-amp into a Peavey 6505. I use the 4 cable method to use the 6505 pre-amp for distortion and the GSP's pre-amp for cleans. I bought the 6505 and then unfortunately quit my band the next week, so it's been sitting here barely being played; I've mostly been using my Line 6 UX1 through my computer. I will possibly be playing in a band again, so I don't want to downgrade and then have to buy everything again.

I've been thinking possibly an Axe-FX, although I don't want to have to spend money (no more than $500) after selling what I already have. The other option could be to run the GSP through a power amp of some kind. I hate the feeling of having all this sitting around and doing nothing. Any ideas/suggestions? What is the best way of importing/buying an Axe-FX in Australia?

Also this is a long shot, but would the control 2 footswitch for the GSP work with an Axe-FX?

EDIT: What would something like this sound like with the GSP?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Dec 11, 2011,
No it wont.
Why not just keep the GSP? Its a pretty nice unit and honestly speaking you wont see much of an improvement till you get to an Eleven Rack or something, the POD HD (your only other rack option which is out of budget anyway) will be a bit of a sideways upgrade unless you really want dual signal paths.

Just run your GSP with your 6505. Plenty of bands run modellers with 6505's as poweramps (Tesseract-, Dark Tranquillity etc). If it sounds good, who cares how you got the sound?
Besides its a pretty compact rig by itself, one amp, one rack and one footswitch. Even an Axe Fx rig will actually be bigger as youll need to get a powered cab for it, maybe two as a lot of the Axe's stuff needs stereo.

Axe in Aus will be hell expensive. The older Ultra is 2 grand un the US, expect to pay at least 3 in Aus new.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwBmhnkRGM8

POD XT with 6505 at 00:40.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Dec 11, 2011,
Yeah I am extremely happy with the GSP, it didn't occur to me I'd need a power amp for the axe fx

Would downgrading to a rack poweramp of some sort be of any advantage?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Having gone the Axe-fx route and gone back again, all I can say is don't. It's a money pit. After the Axe-fx there's the midi controller that you'll need to buy and a whole different amplifier rig - one that is full range and flat response, unless you just want to record with it or plug it straight into the house PA system. Otherwise the amp models don't sound right. It's just not worth the money.

It's a very nice system with a bit of a learning curve and every effect you can think of, but not a whole lot more than a lot of other effects racks. Really the reason to get it is for the amp modeling. And although it's a very good simulator, it's still just a simulator.

I ended up selling mine and going back to a setup similar to yours - a Peavey XXX and an old Digitech 2120. I pocketed the rest of the cash and chalked it up as another lesson learned in believing hype. I'd just keep your setup if I were you, especially if you plan on playing in a band again.
I don't really get the hype of the Axe FX. Outside of a studio, who needs THAT many varied tones? I have like 4 basic tones.

1-Clean.
2-Mostly clean.
3-Not at all clean.
4-And a lead channel that's somewhere in between #2 and #3

I can get any of those with a single switch press on either my midi pedal (which controls amp channel switching and my G Major 2), or on the TS9 to tweak the drive level.

Even the G Major 2 has way more tonal variety than I'm likely to ever use. I just can't think of a non studio scenario that would require you to have THAT much versatility.
/rant

I'd keep your current rig TBH. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having your rig sitting there doing nothing. Are you not playing it at all anymore? What are you using now?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
I don't really get the hype of the Axe FX. Outside of a studio, who needs THAT many varied tones? I have like 4 basic tones.

1-Clean.
2-Mostly clean.
3-Not at all clean.

I can get any of those with a single switch press on either my midi pedal (which controls amp channel switching and my G Major 2), or on the TS9 to tweak the drive level.

Even the G Major 2 has way more tonal variety than I'm likely to ever use. I just can't think of a non studio scenario that would require you to have THAT much versatility.
/rant

I'd keep your current rig TBH. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having your rig sitting there doing nothing. Are you not playing it at all anymore? What are you using now?

Some people love flexibility and different guitar tones so much they can't stand to own just one amp
/rig
hehe, yeah I have more than one amp too. Yet I've found that I generally only play one, and that's kinda my point. A lot of people buy an axe for extreme versatility, and only end up using maybe a handful of presets.

I'm not bashing it at all, just saying that for most situations it's extreme overkill. I think the clips I've heard sound really good.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan

1-Clean.
2-Mostly clean.
3-Not at all clean.

/rant

I do.
I regularly use about 8 clean amp models and about 12 high gain models on my RP and that too just because I havent bothered to try out the others yet.

Axe or real amp is largely a matter of personal preference.

in TS's case, he already has a pretty nice rig, and unless he really wants the universe's time space continuum in his hands, he really has no reason to upgrade.

@TS: Just use your 6505 as a poweramp if you want, send the GSP's output to its FX loops return and use the GSP's volume as a master volume.