Hello,that's my first thread here in the Ultimate Guitar Forum and I hope that from now on I will become a very active member here in the forum , but anyway, without further ado, I'd like you to tell me cool songs and easy for beginners, easy to play, my music preferences are black, death, thrash, heavy metal and, ah, hard rock too! If this may help ,I like bands like , Darkthrone,Burzum,Judas Priest,Black Sabbath,Sepultura,Mayhem,Metallica,Megadeth,Anthrax,Slayer,Death,Napalm Death,Iron Maiden,Suicidal Tendencies,Nuclear Assault,Ratt,Deep Purple,Testament etc. I hope your help, thank you.
How long have you been playing? Are you just starting? What do you know so far?

I'm something of a metal head too, but the first song I learned was Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. It really helped me get used to the feel of the guitar and everything. It's only like 4 or 5 chords so it's really easy. If you want something a bit tougher, there's always Smoke On The Water . Or you could do Welcome Home (Sanitarium) by Metallica. The solos can be a bit of a challenge for a beginner, but they're not too hard. Or Unforgiven is pretty easy too. A lot of AC/DC stuff is really basic. All you really need to know is a few chords and the major/minor pentatonic scales.

Some of the band you listed like Priest, Maiden, Megadeth, etc. have quite a few songs that you won't be able to play right away, you'll have to practice and work up to them. I'd say just find a song you like that isn't too ridiculous and start working on it. And depending on what you plan to do with music (career musician vs hobby musician) I'd recommend you learn music theory as well. It makes learning thing easier and it helps with writing, but it's not required.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by TerryTormentor
Hello,that's my first thread here in the Ultimate Guitar Forum and I hope that from now on I will become a very active member here in the forum , but anyway, without further ado, I'd like you to tell me cool songs and easy for beginners, easy to play, my music preferences are black, death, thrash, heavy metal and, ah, hard rock too! If this may help ,I like bands like , Darkthrone,Burzum,Judas Priest,Black Sabbath,Sepultura,Mayhem,Metallica,Megadeth,Anthrax,Slayer,Death,Napalm Death,Iron Maiden,Suicidal Tendencies,Nuclear Assault,Ratt,Deep Purple,Testament etc. I hope your help, thank you.

Nile- Lashed to the slave stick (That song is not as hard as it seems other than the slight solo)
I'm not much of a darkthrone fan but their song Transilvanian Hunger is extremely easy to play for the most part.
Burzum. . . try Dunkelheit (This will help you when you go to write your own black metal)

When writing your music, you will notice A LOT of similarities between death and black metal. But I'm sure you will have more questions in the future about that.
I wrote a black metal song that is pretty entry level to play, So you may find it some use.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456206
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Last edited by kcorkcar at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by Junior#1
How long have you been playing? Are you just starting? What do you know so far?

I'm something of a metal head too, but the first song I learned was Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. It really helped me get used to the feel of the guitar and everything. It's only like 4 or 5 chords so it's really easy. If you want something a bit tougher, there's always Smoke On The Water . Or you could do Welcome Home (Sanitarium) by Metallica. The solos can be a bit of a challenge for a beginner, but they're not too hard. Or Unforgiven is pretty easy too. A lot of AC/DC stuff is really basic. All you really need to know is a few chords and the major/minor pentatonic scales.

Some of the band you listed like Priest, Maiden, Megadeth, etc. have quite a few songs that you won't be able to play right away, you'll have to practice and work up to them. I'd say just find a song you like that isn't too ridiculous and start working on it. And depending on what you plan to do with music (career musician vs hobby musician) I'd recommend you learn music theory as well. It makes learning thing easier and it helps with writing, but it's not required.

I got a guitar there's two months, I do not learned play any song completely yet,only some riffs, some intros, or little parts of solos,well,I will try to learn some black metal songs, as Transilvanian Hunger and Dunkelheit as you said,thank you.
If you have a teacher play an Animals as Leaders song, they're songs are usually extremely difficult on guitar (Tosin Abasi is a master), but even getting it down at a slower speed will improve your technique quite a bit. If you don't have a teacher, a lot of Pantera stuff is fairly easy, learn "Cowboys from Hell"
you're a stone fox
Quote by wandering_taco
I don't think suggesting Animals as Leaders and Nile is very appropriate given that he got a guitar 2 months ago.

I'm not saying he should learn a full AaL song at full speed, learning one of their songs at 20% speed would make him better. I've been playing almost 3 years and learning the first solo to "Wave of Babies" during the summer improved my technique.
you're a stone fox
Quote by wandering_taco
I don't think suggesting Animals as Leaders and Nile is very appropriate given that he got a guitar 2 months ago.

Have you seen the tab? it's practically picking our single notes with Drop A power chords.
Not to mention, it's not like he has to try going at full speed. With him learning Lashed to the Slave Stick, he will learn tremolo and alternative picking along with how to make it flow smoothly.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Last edited by kcorkcar at Dec 12, 2011,
I was previously working so much I barely had time to see my wife, and never my guitar, but now i have time to learn it. Once I got tired of just learning riffs I involuntarily learned Santa Baby (for the holidays, so my family can sing along). It's easy, My version in on youtube (Santa Pimpin), it's only a few chords, but more important, it gets you counting. The next song I learned is Personal Jesus by Cash, another easier song, takes a few days to get down, but the counting gets a little harder. Once you can play these songs straight through without messing them up you've definitely got the basics down. I also purchased Tux Guitar, it came with a tab of Puddle of Mudd off ebay. If you really want to get your pinky finger down right, learn she hates me by puddle of mudd, practicing the main riff, opens up doors.
Last edited by BusinessLeo at Dec 19, 2011,
Let's see.. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest.
After that, Death, In Flames or maybe a little Opeth.

Just one tip.. a lot of players try to play a song at full speed when they really can't. You'll hear that they're just plain sloppy and hide behind tons of distortion. I advise you to practise in a way that every note rings clearly and there is no significant tension in either of your hands or arms. Also, using a metronome helps.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Perhaps, Enter Sandman by Metallica. The solo may be challenge for beginner level, but it will be worth it to keep practicing for the long term progress.

\m/
For Whom the Bell Tolls, Enter Sandman, Sweating Bullets, Rapid Fire, Breaking the Law. A few easy songs to learn right there. excluding the solos.
For Whom the Bell Tolls is easy.

There are some pretty easy Van Halen songs (if you like them): Running with the Devil and Women in Love (tapping harmonic intro, but it's not that hard to play and if you can't play it you don't have to play the intro) for example. And Ain't Talking 'Bout Love (there's one fast part in the solo but you don't have to play it). And of course you can learn many songs without learning the solos. Riffs are usually not that hard to play.

Black Sabbath Paranoid (but I don't want you to play it because it's so overplayed song) and War Pigs (again, solo might be a bit hard but you don't have to play it), I think almost all songs from Paranoid album.

Do you like Saxon? Because their songs aren't hard. They have many pretty easy songs like 747, Suzie Hold On (that's really easy), Dallas 1PM... Almost any song from their first albums (I have only listened to their first three albums).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Knockin' on Heavens Door is a good one to learn as it'll teach you how to use a variety of techniques and the solos aren't all that hard for a beginner to learn.
Quote by IronTallicaDeth
For Whom the Bell Tolls, Enter Sandman, Sweating Bullets, Rapid Fire, Breaking the Law. A few easy songs to learn right there. excluding the solos.

+1.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by IronTallicaDeth
+1
Quote by Saint78
If you have a teacher play an Animals as Leaders song, they're songs are usually extremely difficult on guitar (Tosin Abasi is a master), but even getting it down at a slower speed will improve your technique quite a bit. If you don't have a teacher, a lot of Pantera stuff is fairly easy, learn "Cowboys from Hell"

Tosin at 2 months? playing animals as leaders is ambitious for me still and ive been playing for 2 years now
Not just becuase they are a favorite. but a lot of metallica stuff is excellent for beginner intermediate . i started teaching my brother and nephew a few years back. within 6 months they could play most metallica songs and were showing me up, so i decided to start learning the same songs, and my technique and skill on guitar improved more than in the last 12 years of playing!!
But this goes up to 11
The very first full song I learned is Iron Man by Black Sabbath. It's pretty basic, and gets you started on power chords. As for the solo, you can learn it and play it slowly, it's not that difficult once you get the hang of it.
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks
As suggested before, I'd give Enter Sandman a shot It was the first song I ever learned :p (Hell for an absolute beginner, trust me, but with 2 months under your belt it should be doable)
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
I know you didn't mention Slipknot, but some of their stuff like Duality, or My Plague is good, if you're into them.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.