thread says it all, i am looking to do up a project with a ToM bridge, and im looking for some input on the gibson 490R pickup, since i have had no experience with pickups yet. Good deal, or try and haggle a little lower?
Current Playing Gear:
Johnson DeQ 2 Distortion Pedal
Peavey ValveKing 1x12 50W Tube Combo
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
one more thing i shoulda mentioned is that i am mainly metal, but play a bit of blues, and it would be for balancing with a DiMarzio or SD High output Passives, as i will be playing SOME Cleams (tried EMGs once, and never again, muddy as hell on cleans)
Current Playing Gear:
Johnson DeQ 2 Distortion Pedal
Peavey ValveKing 1x12 50W Tube Combo
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
its a great deal. they usually sell for about $90-$110. some people dont like them but i love them.
I'm, to this day, amazed that the 490R ever made it into such a precision instrument as a Gibson. Horrible pickups.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
not great, not terrible, kind of a jack of all trades but master of none. i have one in one of my Gibson SG's, i dont mind it. IMO i can't think of a better widely produced [stock] pickup that would appeal to such a wide audience as far as SG's and LP's go. it does decent at jazzy stuff, works nicely for blues, not quite ideal for metal, but it passes.

at the price of $40 i would give it a shot. you could probably sell it at a later date for the same amount if it isn't your thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
if you like the pup, it's a good deal.

they usually sell for more.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.