Page 1 of 2
Like the title says why did you start playing and what makes you continue to play?

A year after I started listening to A7X I started playing. I wanted to solo and shred. I didn't really do any beginner stuff I just jumped in at the deep end. After about a year I could and all I do now when I play is run scales really fast and I love it.

I have been playing since July 2008, I guess my goal now is what it always has been increase my technical proficiency. I haven't really started to develop any real musical understanding. It would be nice to be able to learn songs by ear/tell what key a song is in.

What about you guys? It would be interesting to hear, especially if anyone's goals changed dramatically.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I only play for fun I have never gigged or been in a band and have no intention to. I have only jammed with someone once. Although I like to Shred it's not to try prove anything or show off.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Dec 12, 2011,
My goal in playing was to register for a guitar forum so I could express doubt about people's claims of being able to shred after one year of playing.
I can't remember really, I just began picking up the guitar a few times a couple years ago after not touching it for a year. Soon I got good at it and right now I consider myself to be fairly decent at guitar (I'm in the process of learning to sweep now).

If I had to give a reason for why I play now, I guess probably because I just have nothing else to do. Being in a famous metal or rock band would just be bliss for me. Right now I'm not as motivated because I don't have a band and I have no idea how to go about finding one. I still haven't experienced a real gig (so far I've only performed at my school talent show). I also still haven't acquired my dream rig (Mesa Dual Rectifier, USA Jackson King V and Gibson Les Paul) and won't for years come.
West Ham United
Quote by :-D
My goal in playing was to register for a guitar forum so I could express doubt about people's claims of being able to shred after one year of playing.

I thought I was safe posting this away from the pit, but I'll humor you.

I obviously wasn't Malmsteen (still not!) but I could do a few solos, Crazy Train (still got the video, it's awful), One, Master of Puppets were the first solos I learned, all within the first year. I really don't think I have got much better since the end of my first year. Maybe a little less sloppy and more accurate with my picking but certainly not much faster.
Quote by miio
No goals. Just for fun.

This, for the sake of enjoyment pure and simple. Same as five years ago, but now I'm more interested in getting a group together and possibly having a career in music.
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
Quote by MegadethFan18
I obviously wasn't Malmsteen (still not!) but I could do a few solos, Crazy Train (still got the video, it's awful), One, Master of Puppets were the first solos I learned, all within the first year. I really don't think I have got much better since the end of my first year. Maybe a little less sloppy and more accurate with my picking but certainly not much faster.

Don't take it personally, it was sort of a half-serious response, I didn't actually expect anybody to try to uphold a claim to be able to shred after one year.

Personally I've been after pretty much the same thing. When I started playing I had a couple friends who played, one of whom was very very good - I got exposed to a bunch of Satriani, Vai, MacAlpine and so forth from the get go and so I've always been interested in technically challenging playing. I put in a ton of practice time my first year as a result and I've begun practice quite seriously once again. I'd say my current goals are to start recording some music, because the technical improvements I've made are no good if I can't do anything with them.

Another goal of mine is to continue learning as much Dream Theater stuff as I can, which is significantly easier said than done.
I picked up the guitar pretty much because of Richard Z. Krupse, lead guitarist of Rammstein. After watching the Volkerball DVD over and over again. The way he played and the sheer power of his guitar work has just appealed to me instantly. I still play guitar for those same reasons really, that feeling of power when you blast out those heavy riffs.
Quote by :-D
Don't take it personally, it was sort of a half-serious response, I didn't actually expect anybody to try to uphold a claim to be able to shred after one year.

Personally I've been after pretty much the same thing. When I started playing I had a couple friends who played, one of whom was very very good - I got exposed to a bunch of Satriani, Vai, MacAlpine and so forth from the get go and so I've always been interested in technically challenging playing. I put in a ton of practice time my first year as a result and I've begun practice quite seriously once again. I'd say my current goals are to start recording some music, because the technical improvements I've made are no good if I can't do anything with them.

Another goal of mine is to continue learning as much Dream Theater stuff as I can, which is significantly easier said than done.

No harm done. A lot can be achieved if you focus your mind. First I learned the tapping part to One, it's super easy even someone who's never played can do it. Even though it was easy that got the motivation flowing and then I just played the start of the solo to MoP over and over until I got it up to speed. That's pretty much how I learned to play. My Sister had said not to look at your picking hand (To me that is the best guitar tip ever) and I knew I didn't want to be a 3 finger warrior so I had the tools I needed.

Like I said I did no beginner stuff I mean even now I don't know any chords other than power chords and have no real interest in learning any.

I agree on learning DT. I have only learned a very few full songs on guitar I don't have the patience to learn them. I just learn licks I like or things I think sound cool.
I started off as the son of a music teacher in a family at valued education highly. Some form of education in the arts was a given, both intellectually and as an active participant.

By 2nd grade, I was doing fairly realistic drawings, and by middle school, I was playing cello in a citywide youth orchestra. 6th chair...with 1st & 2nd being occupied by guys who already played professionally, and were the only guys at my school better than myself.

But I got burned out on cello, and pretty much gave it up when I went to college. While I had mad skills, I didn't love what I was doing. It felt forced.

It wasn't until my mom picked up the guitar that I got interested in playing an instrument again. She had a nice, bright maple-topped acoustic that sounded wonderful. So I asked if I could borrow it at school...only to find she had given it away to one of her friends.

However, she got me a starter Alvarez (POS) for my birthday that I played unto nearly breaking it...at which point I got an Ovation elite and a Washburn fretless bass.

I learned a few songs I liked, and kept going.

Now, many years later, the Ovation and Washburn have been joined by a Yamaha classical, 2 Dean electrics, and 5 Jon Kammerer electrics and acoustics of various kinds...with more to come, of course.

What started off as just a part of my education is now like my other artistic endeavors- an outlet for self-expression.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I started playing to get chicks.

Several years later and I still haven't got any chicks so I'm going to keep playing until it works.
Because when your 15 and live at the beach, the girls loved accoustic guitar (it's like a humming bird feeder!). So I liked girls, and the rest is history. My tastes in music to play has definately changed. I started playinglive in a Jam Band, played in a punk bad, Hardcore and now Progressive-rock. Now I play for myself, because it makes me saine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Butt Rayge
I started playing to get chicks.

Several years later and I still haven't got any chicks so I'm going to keep playing until it works.

I actually met my wife while I was playing out............god I wish I never started playing guitar!!!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I actually met my wife while I was playing out............god I wish I never started playing guitar!!!!

Jeez that's a harsh thing to say, man.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
Jeez that's a harsh thing to say, man.

No we have a perfect relation ship, it is just like Married with children, but we have 3 kids

Hey I guess I did meet a chick.........once.....
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
because playing guitar looked like great fun. it was, and it still is.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i was like 13 i think (close to 7 years ago) and i started listening to lamb of god a lot and i knew i wanted to be able to make those sounds come out of a guitar. at first i was like wtf this is impossible so i tried to learn other songs. i mostly played slayer songs, sloppily, and eventually i did learn a crap ton of log songs. i used to just practice for like 8+ hours a day, basically i had no life lol.
these days i can't remember a single song by them all the way through
my band kicked our drummer and rhythm guitar player out so i'm just trying to write some new material that i had to keep in and i'm experimenting with djent a little.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I always wanted to play guitar. When I was stationed at Fort Bragg in like '97, a friend showed me how to read tabs. I fumbled my way through learning a handful of songs. Kinda went this way for years. Played on and off for about 10 years, never really getting any better than I was after about the first year.

About 4 years ago I met a guy who played drums, and we decided to learn a couple songs and jam. I had so much fun, I decided to get more serious with my playing. I started practicing every day for at least an hour, and I started getting better pretty quick. We got another guitar player I know to jam with us, and THAT was so much fun we decided to make it a weekly thing, and form a band. Unfortunately, due to schedule conflicts and the fact that we could never find a singer, or a reliable bassist (plus the fact that I moved 600 miles away) the band sorta dissolved.

I'm hoping once my move is finally finished next month that I can find some people to jam with and get another band going. I'm not looking to be the next Metallica or anything, I just want to have an occasional bar gig for fun.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
love music and the sound of electric guitar. the solo from Deep Purple's Highway Star is what made me say "i want to do that" of course the whole rock star thing didn't hurt (this was in the 70s when rock stars were truly larger than life).

my goal of course was to be a great guitar player (oh well guess i still need a lot of work). i wanted to do the band thing and write original songs. did that for a few years but like any others never found any real success. had fun trying though. now i just write and record original music at home (see profile) but may try another band just for fun at some point when i have the time.
I started playing because of Slash. That was over a year ago, now I'm kinda good.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
When i first started playing i just wanted to rock out to my fave tunes.

Now i wanna get better at writing and improvising
I bought my first guitar just to improve my coordination and dexterity(it was medical school and I wanted to be a vascular surgeon) and it turned out to be soooo much more
Vintage V100 TSB Left Handed
Partscaster Left Handed
Soldano Atomic 16 copy
Kustom Dart 10
and some other stupid stuff.
Started just for the fun and be able to play an instrument and songs,
now to create songs the way i want them to be.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
I started because I wanted to play Oasis.

Now, I play Oasis but a whole bunch of other stuff.

Mostly Oasis though
Dunno. A mate bought an acoustic round. Showed me a few chords. I got a guitar and kept playing. There wasn't a particular reason for me carrying on. But now, I would love to use it to help my Mum pay her bills and earn some money for myself so I can work less.
I started making music because I love music. I had a keyboard and made electronic tracks through FL Studio. I really only ever saw myself as being a keyboardist in a band.

I picked up guitar to impress a girl who I knew loved guitar players, and it worked. It's not the greatest reason to start. But it fortunately turned into something I really enjoyed. As I was getting better at learning songs that would impress someone else, I realized how much fun a guitar is, as a tool for creating music.
To learn something that I could use for a lifetime, and to be creative. It's still those reasons.
My first agenda when I started was cause dimebag sounded awesome and cool and so I wanted to be like that and to get women. Now I do it for fun, I dont even play it public any more. Just sit in my room and jam out, maybe some times go to a friends and jam with them.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 12, 2011,
I think I started playing because I was a bass player and guitar looked more fun than bass. Or something like that.

5 years later and I'm very seriously considering making a full-on transition back to bass. Lol.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
I started because I thought guitar was cool and I wanted to be famous and be in a band and play huge shows.

Same reason I still play, and will continue to play until that becomes a reality.
At first I wanted to be just like Angus Young! Now that I've reached his playing level more or less... I wanna be like Buckethead :-)

That mother****er should keep me busy for a long, long time.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by bluezombie
At first I wanted to be just like Angus Young! Now that I've reached his playing level more or less... I wanna be like Buckethead :-)

That mother****er should keep me busy for a long, long time.

ACDC songs are a great learning tool imo. First few months of playing I was kind of discouraged because I couldn't play anything I liked, except for ACDC. If it wasn't for learning easy songs like Hells Bells, Highway to Hell, Stiff Upper Lip, etc to boost my confidence, I might've just quit.
Quote by griffin888
ACDC songs are a great learning tool imo. First few months of playing I was kind of discouraged because I couldn't play anything I liked, except for ACDC. If it wasn't for learning easy songs like Hells Bells, Highway to Hell, Stiff Upper Lip, etc to boost my confidence, I might've just quit.

Ditto, bro! Hard as a Rock was my first conquest ( and even THAT intro was a chore at first! ).

Can't go wrong starting with some good ol' AC/DC
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
STARTING TO PLAY
I watched youtube covers of songs on guitar - mainly Linkin Park stuff (sue me I was young) - and thought damn that actually looks pretty easy I could do that. So I got a guitar and struggled a bit, lost touch then dug it out later and started practicing again.

NOW
I play now because it feels good. When I'm standing with a guitar it feels comfortable and good, even if I still screw up. I still mostly learn songs but since then I experiment more on my own. I aim to soon actually begin recording things I play. Guitar to me is one of a few instruments that I feel best release the feelings I have in me.
"Happiness is... a bottle of booze in one hand and my faithful guitar in the other hand."

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
i liked Sum 41 so that's my first reason
then for this guy who was amazing and inspired me
then this guy who i wanted to surpass
then for fun
now for my band
-Bought a guitar when I was 13 years old. Literally played for 1 day, then gave the guitar to my older brother because I couldn't figure out how to downtune.

-At 22 years old, I wanted to play Guitar Hero but my friends convinced me that I would be even more of a nerd if I was good at the game. My older brother gave me back the original guitar I had and I started playing that.

-Quit after playing for 3 months when I got a girlfriend.

-Started playing again in August 2010 at 24 years old (when I signed up for this account). I needed a hobby to keep me busy without busting up my shins (skateboarding).
Last edited by farmosh203 at Dec 12, 2011,
The first time I ever asked for a guitar, I was around 11 to 13 years old. I got my first guitar and 10 watt amp for Christmas, but I never pursued it or tried to learn. It basically was a noise maker for me and sat in the corner of my room forever. Then when I was 16, I started getting into metal... first starting off with System of a Down. I bought "Toxicity" and immediately went to my room to listen to the whole album. I had that shit cranked on every song, but when I got to the title track, something about that song (once the heavy kicked in) seriously inspired me to pick that dusty guitar up and really want to learn to play. I asked my parents if I could take lessons that summer and that's where it all started for me.

I don't even care for SOAD anymore, haven't for a long time, but I'll always credit them for getting me into the guitar.

And once my guitar teacher opened me up to the good ol' Metallica stuff like Puppets and so on, that's when I really got into thrash metal and more technical playing instead of always playing in Drop D. Then I discovered Slayer on my own and I could go on all day.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Last edited by TH3M B0N3Z at Dec 12, 2011,
Page 1 of 2