hey guys I'm planing on oiling up my fretboard. The luthier at my local shop said linseed oil was the go.
But I'm not too sure about the type I've bought.
It's pale boiled linseed oil, Will that do the job?
Does anyone know of an instructional video on how to do it? or can anyone just give me some instructions/pointer?
And also does string size matter on a locking bridge (les paul)?
because I've never had a locking bridge. Only a Floyd rose and i know it mattered on that because it sent the trem out of wack if you got the wrong size
help would be greatly appreciated cheers!!
Yes, if you don't want to have to adjust your bridge try to get the same brand/size of strings.

As for the oil. I just use some baby mineral oil every 6 months or so. Rub it in with a towel and rub off the excess. You're not gonna hurt anything.
Doesn't have to be same brand. Most LP's come from the factory with 10's. But on a ToM bridge it's not as critical to keep the same guage as it would be with a floyd. Going up or down a size probably won't affect you TOO much. May need a slight action or truss rod adjustment if you change size and start getting fret buzz, or if the action becomes too high. Not really a big deal though.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by mybanez
hey guys I'm planing on oiling up my fretboard. The luthier at my local shop said linseed oil was the go.
But I'm not too sure about the type I've bought.
It's pale boiled linseed oil, Will that do the job?
Does anyone know of an instructional video on how to do it? or can anyone just give me some instructions/pointer?
And also does string size matter on a locking bridge (les paul)?
because I've never had a locking bridge. Only a Floyd rose and i know it mattered on that because it sent the trem out of wack if you got the wrong size
help would be greatly appreciated cheers!!

Hold on, do you have a tremolo or not? A locking bridge IS a floyd rose style bridge.
no its a LP i dont know what the **** you call it just a standard bridge not a tremello its one of them ones with a tuneomatic bridge and a stop tail. i dont know the technical shit. Also when you say a 10 does that mean the thinnest string is .010 ?
Last edited by mybanez at Dec 12, 2011,
It's called tune-o-matic bridge, or ToM for short, and the other part is called a stop bar tailpiece.

And yes, .010 is the thinnest string in that pack. If you use ernie ball strings, the pack labeled regular slinky are .010's

edited for decimal places.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Dec 12, 2011,
cheers for the help and info.
I've been playing acoustic for 3 years and only sorta very occasionally had a quick go on my electric, got bored of the acoustic and bought an electric the other day so I'm still learning all the lingo. Have a good one!
Last edited by mybanez at Dec 12, 2011,
No problem man

Also, there are a wide variety of strings out there. Even ernie ball has about 20 different packs in varying gauges. They generally all list the range of sizes in the pack though, no matter the brand. Usually it'll say something like .052-.010 or something like that. Some (like EB's skinny top, heavy bottom) use a fatter low E string but keep the high E at a .010. Play around with different sets and see which feels right for you.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes