Hi ! My friend ask me what the best guitar for him to start playing guitar. But i have no idea. So, any suggestion about the best guitar for beginner?
A cheap one, as a lot of people pick up the guitar then decide it's not for them, and pretty much just have them as a decoration in their room.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
A Fender Squier Bullet Strat or Tele. The cheapest Fender and it may turn out to be a diamond (you never know!)
When going for your first guitar go for the best one you can afford.

You might be tempted to buy some piece of shit £30 one from Cash Converters but it'll be a nightmare to play and will probably result in you just quitting cos you hate it.

If you can splash out a bit of cash on a decent guitar you are proud of then you'll want to play it again and again.

Whats your budget and what type of guitar are you after?
For me, Hagstrom F20P, a little more expensive than a squier is the one a beginner should get !
A sg and a strat. in a guitare is what it is !
Quote by LivinJoke84
When going for your first guitar go for the best one you can afford.

You might be tempted to buy some piece of shit £30 one from Cash Converters but it'll be a nightmare to play and will probably result in you just quitting cos you hate it.

If you can splash out a bit of cash on a decent guitar you are proud of then you'll want to play it again and again.

Whats your budget and what type of guitar are you after?

This is also true. Beginners often get bad guitars and give up because they think they're not cut out to play.

When I said "a cheap one" I was thinking more along the lines of a new Squier or something.

The original post didn't really have much information at all. For example:

1) What kind of guitar? Acoustic? Electric?
2) What kind of music do they like? For example, stuff played with overdirve and a lot of palm muting is generally best on a guitar with humbuckers
3) What's your budget?
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
I agree. Get a decent guitar that has a good action and feel. You can go used and save some money but you don't want a cheap guitar becuase you will get frustrated and quit. Thats what happened to me many years ago when I was young. Bought a CHEAP Strat and never liked it.
When I started back I bought a $600 NEW Fender Mexican Strat. Had it set up right (not by me) and haven't stopped since. I still have that guitar and I could get around $500 easy for it now. You buy a cheap guitar it is hard to get a good setup and before long you have put $500 into one and still have a cheap guitar. Unless you know about guitars don't buy from a pawn shop. they know nothing about them either they just want to sell them. Go to a music store and talk to someone that enjoys playing as much as you. For overall general music and Strat is perfect. If you are only interested in Heavy Metal such an ESP, Ibanez, or Schecter will work. Grab one around $600-800 if possible. Pay the higher cost you wont be disappointed. (I do know if you buy from Sam Ash they will set it up for you) Basic setup but still pretty good.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
agree with Johnny Nash .

im 30 .. i played guitar form 14 to 17 but never took lesson and had a 50 4 guitar with a fender forntman 10 watt amp . . well it never catch me , learn a few twist but not much . i quit at 17

i came back at 25 and bought a fender stratocaster made in usa with a decent amp .. sinc ethen i never look back .. i know i wanna play guitar for the rest of my life .. so yes your guitar give you a confidence and feel .

whats your budget ???? guitar + amp .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Look into ibanez. Even tho cheapest ibanez guitars are very playable. Thats one great thing ibanez has going for them.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
I got my first guitar this summer. It is an ibanez roadstar II. I looked for a decent, well made one at a reasonable price. Guitar is not my first instrument, so I know it is important to get one that plays well. It is harder to learn to play on an inferior instrument, and that may be discouraging. I bought used because I wanted something that would hold it's value, so I could sell it without losing money if I decided it wasn't for me.
Dude we are on an electric guitar forum! Lol . .
A squier strat and a decent amp.
Quote by guitarguychris1
Look into ibanez. Even tho cheapest ibanez guitars are very playable. Thats one great thing ibanez has going for them.
This definitely.

I remember some guy in my high school who had an Ibanez RG-esq Gio model that played surprisingly slick and smooth for such a cheapo entry-level guitar. The pickups aren't all that but hey, what's that matter to a beginner? I recommend one of those.

For an amp, get a Line 6 Spider 15w. It sounds terrible to an experienced guitarist, but it works great for a beginner. Straightforward, easy to use, and actually has distortion. You could also look at the Peavey Vypyr 15, but that might be too complex for a starter. It sounds a lot better, though.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 12, 2011,