The fruit of my efforts at 4 am, recorded just after written so its a little rough all things considered. Still pretty happy with it though, so any feedback would be just peachy. and of course C4C!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnA7r-ziON4&feature=youtu.be

*Tab is available, if you want it just pm me or comment below

**Also youtube comments pretty much rule, so if you feel obliged to do so in the slightest I'd appreciate it a million times!

Thanks,
Matt

Lyrics

There's a little black plastic piece
In the spot where my heart should be
I cant tell how it ended up there
But I don't care, I dont care, I dont care

There's a little round cedar tree
That reminds me a little bit of me
But I don't care, I dont Care, I...

I'm Ready to go
Im ready to run
Cuz Im under your gun, Im under your gun
Im ready to live
Im ready to love
But its not enough, Its not enough

There's a little black plastic piece
In the spot where my heart should be
But I don't care, I dont care, I dont care

Theres a little that I need to say
about how somethings just get in the way
I cant tell how they ended up there
But I don't care, I dont care, I...

I'm Ready to go
Im ready to run
Im ready to live
Im ready to love

I'm Ready to go
Im ready to run
Im ready to live
Im ready to love

I'm Ready to go
Im ready to run
Im ready to live
Im ready to love
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Last edited by MattsRichardson at Dec 21, 2011,
hey dude that was a great song. I've enjoyed listening to it.
The only criticism that I have is that the instrumental part (at 2:50) didn't flow with the song that well. but I'm sure you'll get the rhythm straight the more you practice the song.
maybe you should add some lyrics at the end and repeat the chorus 2 times instead of three.

nonetheless, cool song
Awesome song dude. Great voice, and I love the rasp you get. I'm watching your Electric Feel cover right now, and that blew my mind as well! You're very talented dude!
Quote by Eddie4President
You are amazing. The fact that you have paramore next to disturbed shows how awesome you are.
Here, an awesome medal. It's made out of awesomnite.
:extends medal:

Quote by Fallen_Seeker
Thank you!
I would give you an awesome metal, but
I can't find any awesomnite.
just put it on and its exceptionally catchy so far. your voice sounds awesome. this might sounds really random and strange but the melody of the first part (the chorus i spose) actually reminds me of a lord of the rings song. solo right before 2:00 sounds awesome too. i like how you broke off the i dont care part into a new section there, keeping it fresh. i agree with the comment about the 2:50 not quite fitting. if there was a backing of some sort, even if it was just drums or bass it might be able to keep our ear on it but as is it kind of loses you. overall though this is actually one of my favorite things ive heard on here in awhile. a nice song to chill out to at the end of a night

take a look at my most recent song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500393
Hey man, just listening now.
This is great!! A real ballad here with hints of a rock / bluesy sound thrown in. Some real classy guitar playing too! I love those little melodic riffs you threw in at 41 secs, they have a real exotic feel to them. I always find it hard to play any kind of lead on acoustic without falling out of context with the song but all your riffs flowed nicely and provided an entry to the next section.

You also have a great voice. It reminds me of a singer I've heard before but I can't think of his name for the life of me. If it comes back to me I'll post here.

Have you thought about getting yourself something like a Toneport or a Pandora and a cheap vocal mic and doing a bit of recording and mixing? I think you'd really be on to something. I watched your other videos and you should definitely get into it!! They're pretty cheap nowadays and you could just plug your acoustic straight in, add a nice clean patch with a tiny bit of reverb and tiny bit of chorus, plug your mic straight in with just a tad of reverb and there you are, you're ready to go. Just a thought if you get chance in the future!!
In response to common words:

It seriously means a lot to me to hear positive things about my vocals, since I don't really take a whole lot of pride in them but I wish to improve as much as possible. Ive been kind of experimenting a bit with what overall sound I want them to have so I'm glad to get positive feedback.

As far as the part at 2:50, I completely agree now that I've listened to the track multiple times since uploading it. Mainly it was just meant to contrast everything else, but it definitely doesn't fit as smoothly as it should.

Once again, Thanks all!
this is really awesome, you're a damn good songwriter. I think the little slide riffs between the verses starting at 0:41 sound a bit rough, but it'd clean up really well with a violin in the background. everything else, especially your voice, sounded great. awesome melody, gonna check if you have more stuff, keep on writing man
Quote by Homer Gibson
this is really awesome, you're a damn good songwriter. I think the little slide riffs between the verses starting at 0:41 sound a bit rough, but it'd clean up really well with a violin in the background. everything else, especially your voice, sounded great. awesome melody, gonna check if you have more stuff, keep on writing man

Yea man the playing in general is a bit sloppy. Not to fall back on excuses or anything but this was literally recorded just after completion for the sake of actually remembering how I wanted it to go while I was still 'feeling it.' Not to mention after playing guitar for 8 hours that day my fingers were rocked. hah. thanks for the kind words still
Quote by MattsRichardson
Yea man the playing in general is a bit sloppy. Not to fall back on excuses or anything but this was literally recorded just after completion for the sake of actually remembering how I wanted it to go while I was still 'feeling it.' Not to mention after playing guitar for 8 hours that day my fingers were rocked. hah. thanks for the kind words still

no problem. I'd also get rid of the spot at 2:51 haha it just doesn't measure up to the strength of the rest of the song, looks like a fun part to play though
Listening as i type,
i like the intro, nice melody, clean stuff!
liked the guitar part 0:40 a lot, the song has a nice feel, by the 3rd time the "there's a little black plastic piece" comes around, it already sounds familiar, and enjoyable track, it would probably hit even harder with a little extra instrumentation!
like homer gibson said, that part at 2:51 breaks a little with the rest of the track, which feels a lot more controlled.
overall i really enjoyed it, if you work out the bridge kind of part and maybe add an extra guitar and/or a bassline, i think it could really be a great song!
thanks for the feedback
Good intro riff. Nice to see an acoustic song where the riff's not just strumming chords.

Your voice is good, i love the raspyness (if that's even a word ?) in it. don't know if you see what i mean. If you ever work on your vocal skills more, try not getting rid of it, it really add a little touch.

I actually like that instrumental part at 2:50. thought some of the rhythm was a bit off at one part.

If you plan on re-recording it later with better quality, may i suggest having another guitar playing some lead during the third chorus ? maybe something like :

"im ready to go" followed by a lick or something, same after "im ready to run" and so on.

Anyway, all in all i really enjoyed it. i'll check your other stuff on youtube.

c4c ?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502493
Hey mate, thanks for checking my song out! I really like this song, its definitely my sort of thing. The intro is really well put together! The only thing that I could say would be that the instrumental at 2:50 doesn't really fit with this song brilliantly. I like it by its self though and I reckon it could have a perfect place in another song.
Hey man, I really dig Little black Piece. Both the guitar melodies and your vocal melodies are awesome!! I love the rasp in your voice, reminds me of something you'd hear on the first Punk Goes Acoustic Volume. I agree with the other replies that the instrumental break at 2:50 was a little bit off, but i did like the vibe of it, im sure you could adjust it a bit to make it flow a little more smoothly. I'd love to hear a studio style recording of this song!! keep it upp
Hey by the way man, I don't know who your influences are but if this is your kind of music you should check out The Tallest Man on Earth. might be something you'd like, he's definitely had a lot of influence over my lyrics lately
Quote by Homer Gibson
Hey by the way man, I don't know who your influences are but if this is your kind of music you should check out The Tallest Man on Earth. might be something you'd like, he's definitely had a lot of influence over my lyrics lately

Aw man I absolutely love Tallest Man. Was supposed to see him last april but some things came up unfortunately :/ and I'd be a liar if I said he didn't greatly influence this song hah. I mean even though I've heard of him already I do appreciate it ha, but he's seriously a genius
Also, I was just asked for the tab of this song, so If anyone wants it don't hesitate to ask as its already made.
Really enjoyed this. Nice, meaningful lyrics with a memorable melody. This would be fun with a band but it's absolutely perfect this way too, which means it's a great song. I feel like some of the vocals feel a bit strained, but it all still sounds good. There's some tempo and flow issues and such but that's all pretty easily fixable. Really great song!
What a great tune, man. Lyrics are impressive, but what makes this for me are the vocals. I'm a sucker for raspy voices. I wish I had one.

I echo the sentiments about the solo. I didn't think it really fit, either. But the playing overall was well done. I'd like to hear a proper recording of this sometime. You've got the makings of a really great song here.
When I read the title while scrolling through the original recordings list, I immediatly heard you sing it in my head!
I gave it another listen, and i really like it!
I'm ready to go, I'm ready to run, cuz i'm under your gun, i'm under your gun!
Great stuff, It's got my stamp of approval
Great song! Loving the rasp, I use that same technique whenever I play live. I get a Tallest Man on Earth feel on this song, which I love completely. Well done with the lyrics, I read that you under appreciate your vocals, but in my honest opinion you have a great voice. More and more practice and you'll achieve how you really want your voice to sound like. Overall, awesome. I'm subscribing you on youtube!
Wow. great stuff. has a really awesome She talks to Angels- Black Crowes feel. Reminds me of a grittier (in a good way) Simon & Garfunkel too. Your voice quality is almost the polar opposite of mine. It's got that amazing coarse and husky quality yet retains a really melodic texture. Fantastic guitar playing. Really drives things forward

One small criticism that I could offer is that sometimes it feels like maybe you are forcing out singing notes. Idk how to describe it really effectively, but it sounds like you are intentionally trying to "overdrive" your voice if you wanna create an analogy with an electric guitar (i.e. 2:13). If you smooth those parts out, your singing will be even better than it already is.

Great work!
Thanks for the feedback the tone for the lead is a bit crap, but it's from a squire sp10! it doesn't have gain control... just a distortion switch :s I won't be using it again in future.

As for your song, jolly good! really like the guitar, the feel, the singing pretty much everything about it tbh. Your voice has a really nice tone, I like the slightly strained aspect. My only real criticism would be the chorus, I like the melody but not so keen on the lyrics. They seem kinda generic to me.

Nethertheless I really enjoyed listening to this, I've put it in my favourates on youtube and I've subbed and added, would like to hear more of your stuff!
I wanted to wait a bit to crit back on this, because I was struck with so much awe at first that I had to let this song sink in. I wish I had your vocal style, but it'd require me to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day.

Anyway, you're definitely a great acoustic player, you throw in those little licks and hooks between the chords, and I enjoy that.

I have nothing bad to say, and I've showed a couple friends this song, so keep me updated when you upload new stuff.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Subbed on youtube, great stuff.
i really enjoyed your voice, and the guitar work is great. really unique. I could totally see this on the radio and I really hope you get there. I don't have much to say that hasn't been said, I just wanted to throw my praise in there with everyone else.
And I don't want to seem like I'm just being a kissass, but I checked out your other stuff and I can not believe how few views you have compared to the talent you have.

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510309
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
Last edited by kraftmacaroni at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by MattAnderson111
I wanted to wait a bit to crit back on this, because I was struck with so much awe at first that I had to let this song sink in. I wish I had your vocal style, but it'd require me to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day.

Anyway, you're definitely a great acoustic player, you throw in those little licks and hooks between the chords, and I enjoy that.

I have nothing bad to say, and I've showed a couple friends this song, so keep me updated when you upload new stuff.

Ahah Well I don't smoke, but thats really the first time I've ever tried to get some sort of grit into any singing I do, but it came really naturally after singing for 7 hours really loud haha. I HAD to force it out just so my voice wouldnt crack.

And seriously thanks for showing people you know, I cant tell you how much that really means to me.
I really enjoyed this tune! Your voice is really nice, especially for 4 in the morning, when I know at least MINE sounds like complete rubbish! I would love to hear this tune when you've got it all recorded exactly how you wanted, if that's what you plan on doing. This song really could be a hit tune if you recorded it the right way. My opinion is the same as everyone else. While the little instrumental jam does sound nice, and does have some good ideas, I don't think you should keep it. Sounds like it belongs in a whole other time signature in a whole other tempo. But I'd still give this song a strong 8 out of ten, just a few little bugs here and there but nothing that made me stop listening, so it's obviously good! Keep it up, here's mine!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510311
I really like the confidence in your voice. You really convinced me of what your were singing to me, the listener. This is a good song, but I think you could probably cut off a minute or so and just end it after your solo section. To me that section sounded like a perfect way to slow down and end it with that. good job and great song!
check out mines: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504681
Quote by jpequeno0725
I really like the confidence in your voice. You really convinced me of what your were singing to me, the listener. This is a good song, but I think you could probably cut off a minute or so and just end it after your solo section. To me that section sounded like a perfect way to slow down and end it with that. good job and great song!
check out mines: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504681

Hey thanks man,
yea I have pretty much structured the last part of the song completely different now. Should hopefully have a better recording of it up sometime within the next month but who knows if I'll actually get around to it.
Once again thanks to everyone for the chance to listen and critique!
Really nice playing! You have a really neat voice, it sounds like it should be over post-rock music because of it's tone and gravel. But it's acoustic so it's interesting. The song is incredibly written honestly, there is no complaints there. The only thing I can say is that the acoustic guitar isn't providing enough power to accompany that voice of yours and when you go into the instrumental bridge there is bit of a transition problem, you should build it down and then go there and it would of been more effective. Loved the song though. C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512464