I really love all types of street dancing, I think it's an amazing show of expression and athleticism. I desperately want to learn, but for various reasons I can't take classes. I know a lot of people teach themselves, but I figure street dancing, like every other skill you learn, takes the basics and uses them to build up to more complex moves. I've found a lot of tutorials and things, but no one ever comes out and says what the basics are. Can anyone give some advice or tips for an absolute complete beginner on where to start? I'd really appreciate it!
Hah, dancing in the streets. You silly plebs.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Step 1: be black

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Step 2: Don't be white.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
just find a group of ppl to dance with, thats what some of my friends do. You learn from experience and others you see. If your in a university then they most likely have a club dedicated to that specifically. I wouldn't pay for classes if i was you.
Quote by Vendetta V
Im interested too actually. do you btw mean bboying?

I do a lot of robot dance but i'd want some bboying moves too I guess

I'm interested in breaking too, but it seems like it'd be more difficult physically than popping so I thought I'd start there
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
*sees TS's username*

*awaits adbot link and marriage requests*

*gets down on knees* "marry me?"
Quote by Xiaoxi

And this coming from the man that accused me of posting a stereotypical comment in my ramen thread.
*slaps with glove*
You probably don't know what I'm talking about, but if you do, you know.

OT: Drink lots of water.
Quote by emily92
I'm interested in breaking too, but it seems like it'd be more difficult physically than popping so I thought I'd start there

whats popping? like PoP address and all?

srsly though?

EDIT: sorry for double post
Last edited by Vendetta V at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by emily92
*gets down on knees* "marry me?"

Kiss after getting down on knees? I like where this is going!

You're an 08er, so I'm assuming you're not an adbot for the moment (or just a horribly dedicated one.) So I shall answer your question, now that you've proposed: My knowledge of dancing is slim to none, but I assume you should do everything that girl in 'Save the Last Dance' did in order to master the art of street dancing.

Quote by Vendetta V
*fixed

you beautiful, beautiful man.
sreet dancers are amazing. their charisma alone is wonderful, not to mention the athleticism involved. I live near a bunch of busking hot spots, and i can waste the whole day watching these guys
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Heres how I learnt.
1. Watch videos of people dancing/watch people dancing when in clubs/music videos picking up some of the moves
2. Listen to a lot of dancey music until you can pictured some moves that would suit it
3. Bit of practice and there you go
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
Watch the movie Breakin' it came out in 1984 it is all about Break Dancing, Popping and Street Dancing. Watch it and learn just copy and practice what they do and start making your own style.

Here is the link to the complete movie in HD on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcn3ULXqRos

Also Breakin' 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHbyk4_sIrM&feature=related
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by Vendetta V
*fixed

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
My friend can dubstep dance, he would probably do it on the street.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Watch the movie Breakin' it came out in 1984 it is all about Break Dancing, Popping and Street Dancing. Watch it and learn just copy and practice what they do and start making your own style.

Here is the link to the complete movie in HD on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcn3ULXqRos

Also Breakin' 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHbyk4_sIrM&feature=related

I love you
Completely unrelated to what you're talking about, I think, but it reminded me of sneaking out at 3am to the vacant block across the street from where we were staying in the city, playing ripping fiddle tunes and me dancing barefooted jigs up and down on the pavement. We got such odd looks from the passing taxis.

On a slightly different note again, I'd love to get good enough at tango to dance on the streets in Argentina.
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.