Hey guys;

I recently started playing music at an Italian Restaurant. I play every Sunday, for approximately 5 hours.

Over the last year I've been extensively studying and practicing jazz theory. I apply this at th restaurant and make decent tips.

My question to you, could any of you recommend me some good guitar-focused jazz songs? I have a hard time finding tablature, let alone titles themselves since I am fairly new at this. I am particularly interested in pieces that include walking bass lines, chord/soloing, overall a more 'complex' texture than simply comping or soloing. Any suggestions welcome.

EDIT: I am not looking to transcribe musical pieces; I would like something already composed on the guitar, something with tablature.

My favorite type of jazz songs are all from the early era, 30s-60s. But I am open for more modern pieces aswell.

I would classify my own playing ability as intermediate. I can fingerpick fairly well, have a good understanding of chords/chord melody and a little bit of improv.

My fav. artists include Django (of course), Wes Montgomery, Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Baker, Grant Green, Miles Davis, Tommy Dorsey blah blah. Pretty fair gist of sounds, right?
Quote by Durell, spelt like Derrell but pronounced Durell
Can I get yo beautiful ass numba?
Last edited by Phil_Bass_Boy at Dec 12, 2011,
Blue Bossa (Pat Martino), So What (miles Davis), anything by Wes or Tal Farlow, Idk, there's somewhat of an un-official list of songs that are considered standards for any Jazz musician (anywhere from 30-100 songs Ive seen) search it and pick some
Quote by themindbullet
www.jazzguitar.be

Website with a lot of good resources, may be a good place to start.

Funny enough, that's where I did some of my first jazz theory. :p Love that site, got it bookmarked.
Quote by Durell, spelt like Derrell but pronounced Durell
Can I get yo beautiful ass numba?
How's your inversions of 7th chords? You can get a lot out of it. You'll find that a lot of standards are basically the same progressions, just a different melody, rhythm etc.

But for walking bass, with just one chord you can go some distance. The I chord in G Major (swung). E E Q Q Q | Q Q H
-----------|-----
--3---7----|8----7
--4---7----|11---7
--4---5----|9----7
-----------|---9-10
-3--5-7-9*-|10

* Chromatic approach.

Of course, it's not practical to incorporate this in to your playing straight away. It takes time. But that's a very brief ex. of the possibilities with chords.

Apply inversions on all sets of strings, and then to a standard's progression. You could make it last forever.
Last edited by mdc at Dec 12, 2011,
http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Jazz-Guitar-Standards/dp/0786666455

You might check out that book, it's got a ton of great standards in lead sheet form, with a chord solo, comping etude, and solo example over each. Great stuff.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong