Do you have any examples of the type of tone you are looking for?

Also, $450 isn't a bad price at all for a 2x12 5150, and the speakers you already got would be a good upgrade from the stock ones. The 5150 has a somewhat nasally quality to its distortion, which does allow it to cut through, but some people don't like it that much.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
The 5150 won't have as good of cleans as the VK, if that's a concern, but practically everything else it's superior at.

$450 for a 5150 combo is pretty average though, but with the speaker upgrade, it should sound quite nice (assuming they're good speakers ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Or you could even use the 5150 for your distorted sound and the Valveking for cleans....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
**** that. I've owned both. The 5150 combos cleans were awesome when I had mine. 5150 combo cleans are not the same as the head. I loved my 5150 2x12, but I traded it awhile ago.

I say get the 5150 and sell the VK all the way man.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
**** that. I've owned both. The 5150 combos cleans were awesome when I had mine. 5150 combo cleans are not the same as the head. I loved my 5150 2x12, but I traded it awhile ago.

I say get the 5150 and sell the VK all the way man.

True, the combos are more similar to the 5150 II/6505+, but I wouldn't call the cleans awesome. Definitely usable, and better than the head, but not awesome
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It's hard to say. Neither one is really good for what you want to do. I'd say keep the VK, since the 5150 kind of pigeonholes you into one sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I hate to even enter these debates I personally would not get a 5150 for what you play. The VK has a Marshall tone stack for dirt channel and a Fender clean tone stack. I'm not saying keep the VK - I only liked mine after swapping the speaker. Right now today I'd take a 5150 over a VK but that is just my own personal thing. I like the Vypyr 60 over both of them so there you go. I personally wouldn't buy a 5150 for punk but I know very little about punk tone honestly. At the end of the day, do not drive an hour with the conception that you will have to buy it to make your trip worth it. That will only taint your thought process. Buy the amp if it sounds good to you and checks out when you kick the tires. (tubes, pots, tone, appearance, rips n tears, whatever)