Hey,
I'm applying to study bass guitar in Bimm and my audition is going to be on around March/ April. Iv to play a piece for them but I'm not to sure which song to play. Iv been thinking of doing the Lemon Song but I'm not to sure. Does anyone have ideas as to what would be a good piece to play?
And would anyone have any tips for the audition?

Thanks
As a former BIMM student (although as a guitarist), I'd say just go with something your really comfortable with; just something that shows them you can play. Don't try to over sell yourself by choosing a track that pushes your playing and your not that confident with. The guys go a lot off your attitude to the course and therefore ability to learn.

There was a real lack of bass players in my year so they'll likely be wanting you to get in.

Just go in confident and relaxed and you'll do great.
Yeah, the music colleges are usually pretty short on bass players, so I wouldn't worry too hard!

Personally, I would go for a Stevie Wonder track - Sir Duke or I Wish - something with a well known bass line, but not too complex.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I know about the lack of bass players but I'd rather go in over prepared
What sort of stuff can I be expected to be asked in the audition?
I assume you are going for the Degree? Probably ask you to do some scales and arpeggios over 2 octaves, maybe improvise some bass lines over a drum loop.

Ooh, another song to consider is The Chicken (Jaco version) - musos love Jaco
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Well the scales and improv stuff doesnt sound so difficult. Will they ask you to try and sight read do you think?

Im going to apply for the BA (Hons) in Commercial Modern Music in Dublin. Which one are you applying for?
Same but in Bristol, technically I'll be qualified for the second year by September but they're assessing me now when I haven't finished my current course.
Im in BIMM Dublin. I played a solo rendition of autumn leaves, but i know other players played things like the chicken, black dog, otheer jazz pieces and darling dear.

I also had to play major and minor scales over two octaves, pentatonic scales, groove to a click to some aural things. I also chatted with my the bass tutor who auditioned for a good half hour.

EDIT: I had to do no sight reading which slightly annoyed me as so many people on the course couldnt read music when they first started. I think this is a must. Any questions just ask.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Dec 15, 2011,
^ My mate (who ironically is called Bim) works for Bimm in brizzle, I can have a word with him,see if he has any suggestions, he used to do the sound at Canteen too!! Got a free MIA Jazz out of it, but I digress...I walk past it every day on my way to work, and wonder what life would be like if I'd studied music academically...but I do love my job!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Thanks for the info on the audition. Yeah I think they should check to see if you have at least the basics of sight reading down

What is the standard of playing between the players in Bimm, Dublin?
And is there any players that primarily use a pick?

One more thing, do you like it?
Im really enjoying it so far. The two bass tutors are great ( paul and keith).

The standard is pretty damn high i must say for what i was expecting, there are one or two amazing players and the rest of us are pretty much on the same level. There is a lot of work needed to keep ahead and up to date.

Theres one primary pick player out of all 16 bass players in the whole course.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul