I Have Been playing for about 4.7 years. Im into allot of Finland stuff so I know most of my Chords,Scales and whatnot. I took a bunch of Theory courses In college for kicks and have been doing tons of DVD stuff for awhile. I learned Tons from the Doug Doppler DVD, Kikos rock house dvd as well. Been doing some note reading stuff from some MI text books for Note location reinforcement.

But Now Im stuck In a runt. Im at the stage were I know most of my Knowledge but now it's time to Apply it and Build my tech up completely OR just get stuck with Tabs for years. And Im trying to Avoid it. So I finally Bought John Petrucci - Rock Discipline after hearing so much about it and plan on going to Paul dvds next.

But heres my problem, im absolutely brain dead when it comes to using a Metronome for the lessons. Sure at slower speeds I get it but when it is time to play 4 or 5 beats per click my brain just shuts out the sound and plays by itself. I really want to get this down so I can finally get to sweep picking ( So bad at it lol ).
So that's 4 years 8 months and 7.5 days or something? Lol

Try and find a metronome that beats down to the nano second bro.
If you're having a hard time keeping track of the tempo, clap your hands to the metronome. If you're doing it right, you shouldn't even be able to hear the metronome. If there is ever a time I'm having trouble staying in time I do this to get both my head and my hands thinking rhythmically.
Quote by Gioloverso

But Now Im stuck In a runt.

You're stuck in a runt? That sounds painful
Quote by Gioloverso
I Have Been playing for about 4.7 years. Im into allot of Finland stuff so I know most of my Chords,Scales and whatnot. I took a bunch of Theory courses In college for kicks and have been doing tons of DVD stuff for awhile. I learned Tons from the Doug Doppler DVD, Kikos rock house dvd as well. Been doing some note reading stuff from some MI text books for Note location reinforcement.

But Now Im stuck In a runt. Im at the stage were I know most of my Knowledge but now it's time to Apply it and Build my tech up completely OR just get stuck with Tabs for years. And Im trying to Avoid it. So I finally Bought John Petrucci - Rock Discipline after hearing so much about it and plan on going to Paul dvds next.

But heres my problem, im absolutely brain dead when it comes to using a Metronome for the lessons. Sure at slower speeds I get it but when it is time to play 4 or 5 beats per click my brain just shuts out the sound and plays by itself. I really want to get this down so I can finally get to sweep picking ( So bad at it lol ).

I have the same problem with certain exercises but I find that if I tap my foot or bob my head to the beat it helps me play in time.

You've probably tried that. My only other suggestion is to really make sure your technique is good enough before you increase speed.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
I know something we use at college here. Try to play a song you already know well and put the metronome to click beats 2 and 4. This helps set your internal clock.
I slowed it down a little bit. I took some advice from Johns dvd and accent the downbeat
while yelling ONE. seems to be slowly getting there. No just having trouble with 4 notes a beat with dumb fingerings.