Page 1 of 4
Canada will formally withdraw from the Kyoto Protocol on climate change, the minister of the environment has said.

Peter Kent said the protocol "does not represent a way forward for Canada" and would have forced it to take "radical and irresponsible choices".

The move, which is legal and was expected, makes it the first nation to pull out of the global treaty.

The protocol, initially adopted in Kyoto, Japan, in 1997, is aimed at fighting global warming.

"Kyoto, for Canada, is in the past, and as such we are invoking our legal right to withdraw from Kyoto," Mr Kent said in Toronto.

He said he would be formally advising the United Nations of his country's intention to withdraw.

He said the cost of meeting Canada's obligations under Kyoto would cost $13.6bn (10.3bn euros; £8.7bn): "That's $1,600 from every Canadian family - that's the Kyoto cost to Canadians, that was the legacy of an incompetent liberal government".

Canada declared four years ago that it did not intend to meet its existing Kyoto Protocol commitments and its annual emissions have risen by about once third since 1990.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16151310

What gives, Canada? You used to be cool. Sadly their leaving will have effects, other countries will leave as well then we're back to getting fucked again.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████

Brilliant, no money in saving the world so we'll just not bother. Astounding.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK

Brilliant, no money in saving the world so we'll just not bother. Astounding.

If you expected Canada to save the world, then your trust was sorely misplaced.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by DonGlover
If you expected Canada to save the world, then your trust was sorely misplaced.

Inevitably other countries will now drop out of this.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
Inevitably other countries will now drop out of this.

Funny, usually Canada does the following, not the leading.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Considering how the Kyoto Protocol hasn't actually produced any discernable results, I can't really blame them.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
****ing Canadia.
If you're going to pull out, at least don't be a douche about it by upping your emissions.
They should get a fossil fuels embargo, or get back in.
Wo gives a damn about the global warming?
People? No, they just nod with their heads like dogs to whatever they're said and follow the herd like sheeps.

Environmentalists? I'd like to get free money too if I had the chance to sit a nag about the warming of the planet and persuade people to become hippies.

Animals will die? I've never seen a t-rex, nor a mammoth, nor a sabretooth tiger.
People will die? People will die anyway, if it's not today then it is tomorrow. There are damn 7 billion people on this planet and growing, what are they expecting? That some democratic and politcal correct fairy will rise and squirt fluid full of happiness and love upon the people, goddamnit everybody's going to die.

Why is there always so much drama around these things?

Yeah. I'm a real asshole.

Ooh and don't start to b*tch at Canada as a whole country/nation. The elite decides these things, not the average working people, they're not even 0.01% related to this choice.
Last edited by AmirT at Dec 12, 2011,
I'm gonna go out and beat up some Canadian tourists in response to this news.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Zoot Allures
Humanity gets what it deserves then i guess.

Oh **** off you misanthropic prick. Easy to act disinterested and edgy when your not the one getting truly ****ed by climate change.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
To be fair it's because they're sick of the cold so they want the world to warm up a bit. Soon Canada will be the new australia.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Humanity gets what it deserves then i guess.

And of course a few hundred/thousand other species.
REGGIE
Canada has a claim to the massive reserves of oil in the Arctic. Hard to get to while those ice caps are sitting on top of them.
Quote by willT08
Should have led with this.

>Implying that nothing what I stated is true and that the world is one beautiful place to live in, atleast if you're not a ******, spic, rice-shitter or a sand****** and live in a Western country.

And don't blame me for racism, I'm dark myself.
Quote by Kensai
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16151310

What gives, Canada? You used to be cool. Sadly their leaving will have effects, other countries will leave as well then we're back to getting fucked again.

U mad bro? Fuck the environment.
Quote by AmirT
Wo gives a damn about the global warming?
People? No, they just nod with their heads like dogs to whatever they're said and follow the herd like sheeps.

Environmentalists? I'd like to get free money too if I had the chance to sit a nag about the warming of the planet and persuade people to become hippies.

Animals will die? I've never seen a t-rex, nor a mammoth, nor a sabretooth tiger.
People will die? People will die anyway, if it's not today then it is tomorrow. There are damn 7 billion people on this planet and growing, what are they expecting? That some democratic and politcal correct fairy will rise and squirt fluid full of happiness and love upon the people, goddamnit everybody's going to die.

Why is there always so much drama around these things?

Yeah. I'm a real asshole.

You're worse than the dogs/sheep. I'm not going to argue with you because you don't seem like the person who'd know the difference between an argument and taking a crap on your keyboard.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Canada has a claim to the massive reserves of oil in the Arctic. Hard to get to while those ice caps are sitting on top of them.

So that's how it is then eh.
Let me take you back to late May: "Russia, Japan and Canada told the G8 they would not join a second round of carbon cuts under the Kyoto Protocol at United Nations talks this year and the US reiterated it would remain outside the treaty, European diplomats have said."

"They argued that the Kyoto format did not require developing countries, including China, the world’s No. 1 carbon emitter, to make targeted emission cuts."

It makes sense from our perspective to use the means we have available to us (backing out) until our concerns with the protocol is addressed. Canada was forced into signing in the first place by a nation that didn't even end up signing. Kyoto has been a monumental failure and hopefully Canada is helping accelerate the process of replacing it with a coherent plan that actually has a change to be even moderately successful.

ps i dont give a shit either way
The Kyoto Protocol was signed to make people happy, not produce results. Well, unless you count helping to give China and India free reign to expand their economy unchecked by environmental considerations.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
****ing Canadia.
If you're going to pull out, at least don't be a douche about it by upping your emissions.
They should get a fossil fuels embargo, or get back in.

By who? The US gets majority of it's oil from them, they sure as hell aren't going to embargo.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by AmirT

Oh, you mean these guys?

Lazy pricks. Probably all in it for the money as well.
REGGIE
Quote by zdh
The Kyoto Protocol was signed to make people happy, not produce results. Well, unless you count helping to give China and India free reign to expand their economy unchecked by environmental considerations.

Yep. A bunch of idiotic, reactionary morons itt.
Quote by genghisgandhi

Seriously though, I'm glad. The Kyoto Protocol is ridiculous.

Quote by palm mute
By who? The US gets majority of it's oil from them, they sure as hell aren't going to embargo.
Exactly. The simple fact is this: Canada will probably suffer no real consequences from this.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by frankv
I know what it feels like, man.

Our nation is buying into the whole populism thing and we're shying away from the tolerant and friendly country we used to be.

Yeah what gives with that? And now you're mutating the bird flu virus to kill humans too?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.

****ing Harper.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Kyoto was massively flawed in pretty much every way and produced incredibly little improvements except in some Euro countries. When you've got countries like Canada and Australia whose economies basically rely on things that pollute as a result, as well as China and India who can essentially buy their way out of it, it was never going to work. Fair play to Canada tbh.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Page 1 of 4