Good day everybody!

There's something that bothers me quite a while now, so I decided to question you guys here and hope that somebody can help me

I like to play rock/metal on my electric guitar. Many songs by bands like in flames, alter bridge, machine head etc. use VERY deep tunings, with the low E string tuned down as far as Bb.
I bought some extra heavy strings for my guitar (heavy gauge with a low E string as thick as .054 inches / 1.37 mm).

But still, I always have the some or all of these problems:
- after playing only one song or so, the lower strings are out of tune again.
- when hitting the open string, the pitch varies depending on hard I hit the string with the pick.
- when playing any note on the low string, the pitch varies depending on how hard I fret the note (how hard I push down with the left hand)
- octave purity is not given: the 12th fret isn't exactly one octave above the open string (this can be adjusted by a little screw on my guitar, but despite trying hard I don't seem to get it done properly)

So, is this problem with my guitar? it wasn't a particularly expensive one.
Or is it a problem with the strings?
Or am I just doing something wrong all the time?

Any tips are appreciated
Use thicker strings.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the pitch varying when hitting hard is normal every thing is normal except the 12fret thing is something that i don't know much about so can't help with that
you need to get your guitar set up and intonated for drop tuning.

also .54 is way to thin for b flat.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yea, really. >60 for Drop A#.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Thank you all for the tip. Didn't know there were even thicker strings!

Quote by AcousticMirror
you need to get your guitar set up and intonated for drop tuning.

What exactly do you mean by that? What has to be set up?
your nut has to be recut. you're bridge saddles should be widened.

your neck needs to be adjusted.

although if your only using 11-54s the problem is more likely that your strings are just too loose.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Does your guitar have a tremolo? If so, do you have it properly set up to drop tune?

Sounds like your nut may not be cut for those strings.

Also the problem your having with 12th fret is called intonation.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Which guitar are you using? I use the 11-54's as well and they are spot on. I had to adjust my intonation as well as the tension on the springs on my floyd rose to get the sadle to sit right and get the proper string tension,,
Quote by whyze250f
Does your guitar have a tremolo? If so, do you have it properly set up to drop tune?

Sounds like your nut may not be cut for those strings.

Also the problem your having with 12th fret is called intonation.

This.

Was your guitar set up for lighter gauged strings? My guitar was set up for using Ernie Ball Hybrid. I tried switching to a super heavy gauge and everything sounded awful and I had a lot of issues. I took it to a shop and got it set up and now it sounds great. I told the guy I wanted to play it in drop tunings, whether that made a difference, I don't know.

You may want to look into getting it set up if you don't know what you are doing. You will need to adjust your truss rod if going to a super heavy gauge. I wouldn't adjust it if you don't know what you are doing as you can crack the neck.
Do you have any buddies that could teach you how to set up your guitar? Good thing to learn how to do as you will need to do this anytime you change gauges or just wanna try different setups etc..
Quote by Quinlan
Yea, really. >60 for Drop A#.

Erm... For a while, I had my Jackson (with a Floyd Rose) tuned down to drop G# and I use .10-.52s.... >.> It was fine.
Some people like a lot of slack in their strings. It's generally suggested to put bigger strings for lower tunings because it seems like everyone wants a "tighter" tone. Iommi uses a special ultra light set that's like 38-8 for E, or maybe lower.

That in mind, was your guitar strat scale length? Because that could help with tension... I'm using that on a LP.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Not enough string tension to counteract the pickups pulling in the strings. You can drop the pickups lower, or get thicker strings.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Quinlan
Iommi uses a special ultra light set that's like 38-8 for E, or maybe lower.

I fairness, that was only because he cut off two of his fingertips....the guy practically invented drop-tuning, by accident!

I'd suggest maybe your restringing technique is poor. You need to stretch the hell out of your strings and not use too many wraps.
I like DR Strings, and they make DDT (drop-down turning) strings that maintain more firmness than most.

Another option is to use a pedal to adjust the tone. The latest Whammy pedal has a DT function (you can go up or down an entire octave, one step at a time) for any tuning desired, and it tracks very well... maintains the tone, etc., even if dropped down to a C or lower. And, obviously, you have the whammy and harmonizing functions.
to all of you saying he needs at least 60's your crazy. i play as low as Drop Bb sometimes and i use either 50's or 52's and its fine. i usually get what the store has
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
to all of you saying he needs at least 60's your crazy. i play as low as Drop Bb sometimes and i use either 50's or 52's and its fine. i usually get what the store has

I use a .52 for drop-c and it's just about acceptable. Anything lower needs thicker strings (unless the guitar has an extra-long scale, I guess).

Also, as others suggested: Setup. There's a stickied thread on it over in EG.