Page 1 of 3
Hi, I'm planning on purchasing a Marshall MG100HFX half-stack soon. I've got the head all ready to buy, but I'm having a slight dilemma over the cab. Now: this is the full half stack that I want, but for some reason its a full $100 dollars more than buying the cab and head seperately:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-mg4-series-mg100hfx-and-mg412a-half-stack/430987000001387
So I figured, ok, no problem I'll just purchase the head and cabs seperate. So here's the head:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-mg4-series-mg100hfx-100w-guitar-amplifier-head/581727000001000
Now here's where I'm a little puzzled. I specifically want an angled cabinet, not a straight one. Now these lines of amps are known as the new "MG4" model. The only angled "MG4's" they have are restock; I want to get a new one so that's out of the question. Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-mg4-series-mg412-guitar-speaker-cabinet
now the only other seemingly identical (besides the color, but who cares) cab I found was this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-mg-series-mg412cf-4x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet
But this just says "MG Series", not MG4 Series".

So my question is, is there a difference at all between these 2 cabinets? I know this is kind of a stupid question, but I want to be absolutely sure I'm satisfied with my purchase. I Thank you much for your time and hopefully response.
(Also, I have read the sticky thread on the rules, and this does not break any. I'm not asking which amp is better, I simply want to know if theres any actual difference so I know I'm making the right purchase. Thank you.)
Quote by guitarplaya161
I want to be absolutely sure I'm satisfied with my purchase. I Thank you much for your time and hopefully response.

Not to sound like an elitist ass, but "MG" and "satisfied" never go together in the same paragraph. There's much, much better amps that you can buy with the same amount of cash for any genre. What genres do you plan to play? What's your current gear? And how come you're after a half stack? I guarantee that a 2x12 will be more than plenty 99% of the time. More speakers =/= more volume. They're just that much more of a pain to move.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 12, 2011,
I'm gonna say exactly what everyone else will say: do not buy an MG, MG4 or whatever else they might call it. They're extremely poorly built and they sound like child abuse
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
i'm happy that you are buying the worst amp ever.

both cabs that you linked are the same.

enjoy.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by guitarplaya161
can any of you actually answer my question instead of immaturely looking down on and demeaning me for wanting to buy the amp of my choice?

Actually, it's the exact opposite of immaturity. We are attempting to stop you in your tracks, because most of us have been there. We've been immature, we've bought the shitty gear. A lot of us have a good amount of hindsight. We are trying to legitimately help you to make a better aural and financial decision.

TL;DR: the MG is actually worse than a pile of shit. Don't buy it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 12, 2011,
Seriously? worst amp ever? Wow, some people on this board I guess have multi-thousand dollar amps and try to justify their purchases to themselves by taking down on people that want to buy affordable ones to make them feel better.
Quote by guitarplaya161
can any of you actually answer my question instead of immaturely looking down on and demeaning me for wanting to buy the amp of my choice?

Nobody's demeaning you, we're advising you not to buy a terrible amp. You asked for advice and you're getting it.
If you really need to know, MG4 and MG are exactly the same thing. And they're terrible
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by guitarplaya161
Seriously? worst amp ever? Wow, some people on this board I guess have multi-thousand dollar amps and try to justify their purchases to themselves by taking down on people that want to buy affordable ones to make them feel better.

no it's literally the worst amp ever.

the 10 or the 15 are ok as practice amps.

buying the 100watt head is just terrible.
Mr. Half Stack MG is calling others immature.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I know the fine people of this forum may come off as slightly abrasive at times, but they are well-meaning.

Truthfully, whatever difference the cabs may possess will be irrelevant with an MG. They are not good amps. Not even close.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by guitarplaya161

We're not looking down on you, we're trying to save you from making an "immaturely" thought-out decision on your half. When I was in middle school my parents bought me my first big amp... an MG halfstack. Literally after I turned it off I wanted to take it back because the sound was so whatever. It went back the next day. That was when my ears weren't trained for "good tone" and I had little experience with amps.

You will regret spending $600 on the amp down the road and other guitarists won't take you as serious if you show up with that amp. I highly recommend looking at other amps, especially outside of current Marshalls.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I don't even know what to say because I'm going to get flamed either way. If I say it sounds good to my ears (I've heard them before), I'm going to be told I have shit ears. If I say that I actually want to buy this amp because I've owned a previous model and have had nothing but good experiences with it and have read reviews and have watched reviews and they're all positive and I know the amp sounds good, you people are going to make up an excuse about it "being a piece of shit." I can't afford any better first of all, and second this is a solid choice for me, I've done enough research.

NOW, may I actually get a serious answer please?
Quote by guitarplaya161
I can't afford any better first of all, and second this is a solid choice for me, I've done enough research.

You CAN afford better, $600 will buy a serious album-worthy amp no problem. What genres do you play? I, and the rest of good-mannered UG, can recommend you a legitimate amp for $600 (used and new) that will blow your mind

EDIT:
Quote by AcousticMirror

^That's a solid recommendation and will easily cover the genres I'm assuming you intend to play. I can't believe the massive difference in quality for the same price
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by guitarplaya161

Yes, some people on this board have multi-thousand dollar amps. Let me put this another way without bashing your amp choice.

We all know the MGs and Spiders are the most hated amps on UG. We say they sound bad. Rather than saying the MGs sound bad, I'll say that the MGs and the Spiders are the oldest "modern" range of "affordable" ss amps out there. Therefore the software will be older than the other amps.

The spider ivs for example, don't really care for dynamics. Why? Because they're pretty old. Fender, Vox and Peaveys amps are newer and so is the software.

I have to admit......the MG stacks look pretty badass I'd never buy one though
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by guitarplaya161
I don't even know what to say because I'm going to get flamed either way. If I say it sounds good to my ears (I've heard them before), I'm going to be told I have shit ears. If I say that I actually want to buy this amp because I've owned a previous model and have had nothing but good experiences with it and have read reviews and have watched reviews and they're all positive and I know the amp sounds good, you people are going to make up an excuse about it "being a piece of shit." I can't afford any better first of all, and second this is a solid choice for me, I've done enough research.

NOW, may I actually get a serious answer please?

I would always advise you to get a lower wattage amp with a smaller compliment of speakers. It's highly unlikely that you need 100 watts through a 4x12 and if you go for something smaller that will probably still suit your needs as well then you'll get much better quality. As people have said, they're the same. They won't sound great and might well fall apart. But ultimately it's your decision, if you'd rather have a big amp then a good amp then go for it pal
My Soundcloud
I am looking to buy a half-stack, not a combo amp, I already have a 100 watt older MG, and I'm looking to upgrade. (before you start bashing again, I've never had a problem with its sound other than it only has one speaker, so the tone range can lack a little.) I play mainly classic rock, rock, hard rock, and metal. I cannot really afford anything past $600
If you want to sound like the song here http://www.theredeclipse.com/ buy an mg

If you want to actually sound good, DON'T BUY IT
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by guitarplaya161
I am looking to buy a half-stack, not a combo amp, I already have a 100 watt older MG, and I'm looking to upgrade. (before you start bashing again, I've never had a problem with its sound other than it only has one speaker, so the tone range can lack a little.) I play mainly classic rock, rock, hard rock, and metal. I cannot really afford anything past $600

well if you have to have a halfstack then i suppose that' the only thing that will work.

why not just get a cab and use your old mg?

they are exactly the same.
Quote by guitarplaya161

Why does it have to be a half stack?
My Soundcloud
Good luck with your new bigger better MG then . Your last post made it clear that you're not sure what you're doing and I'm tired of preaching to a lost cause.

EDIT: Because I'm good of heart tonight..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca20h-and-jca12s-half-stack/584695000000000

This little guy will blow your mind if you like the MG. I know it's only 20W but it will be louder and have an incredibly better tone than a 100W MG full stack. If you want a bigger cab they sell a 4x12 and you can buy the head separately. It should be within your budget including the bigger cab.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by AcousticMirror
answered you already. they are exactly the same. nothing has ever changed with the mg cabinets the entire time they've been made.

look if you like it then you like it.

but you could afford better.

like you could buy this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca5012c-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h76846000001000

+ a lot. Don't buy MG.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by guitarplaya161
I'd like a half stack so I can get a bigger range of/better tone.

More MG. Not a good thing.

The MG cabs might as well be made of paper as well. Build quality does not go hand in hand with MG.

Ex-MG owner right here. I know.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Jesus Christ, I thought ultimate guitar had nicer people. All you guys did was make fun of me for wanting to buy an amp. I guess I was wrong, and yes I'll have lots of fun with my New MG100HFX, It'l sound great and I didn't pay out the ass for it. Thank you for the 3 people that actually tried to help me.

and SimplyBen I've never had any issues with my 100 watt MG combo, and I've had it for around 3 and a half years now
ok have fun. most of us have owned mg's at one point or another.
What are you, like 12?

Whatever.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why thank you for yet another flame good sir, you really contributed to the discussion. and I've been playing guitar for almost 5 and a half years, I think I at least have somewhat of an idea of what I'm doing. I don't need to prove myself to a bunch of random douches online.
Save yourself some cash, get a WAY better tone, and it'll sound greater than any MG could dream of. Check out clips of the little amp I posted before, the Jet City JCA20H. You'll be happier with that purchase. I'm really trying to help you and not be an ass, I promise. Scouts honor

EDIT: I'm an ex-MG halfstack owner. I know that road..
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Never have I made fun. I've just stated fact.
I played in a band with 2 MG's for around a year and a half, I upgraded my amp. Suddenly, the band started to sound better. Lowest common denominator was identified.

MG's can sound passable, but you can sound a lot better, and that Jet City is the best place to start.

You'll make more of an improvement, upgrading to a much higher class of combo amp, than you will by adding 3 extra speakers to an MG.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Personally, I don't think the MG4 is going to be worth the extra cost. I'd just get a used MG100DFX. There are lots of them on Craigslist. I didn't know if they had a MG4 cab coming out but if you can find a regular angled cab - I'd go with that one to get a bit more projection for yourself on stage.

Don't let the haters get you down.

Also, I noticed - is this a new feature?

MG4 Series MG100HFX also delivers precise control and superb flexibility without masking your guitar's own sound or making your tone sound processed and artificial.

The Marshall MG100HFX head also features a frequency-dependent damping circuit.

Are they talking about the new one or is that just MG in general. I only played the 250DFX really so I'm kind of a MG noob.

Go with your ears and go with the angled cab. That is my advice.
Quote by guitarplaya161

Actually, it's the exact opposite of immaturity. We are attempting to stop you in your tracks, because most of us have been there. We've been immature, we've bought the shitty gear. A lot of us have a good amount of hindsight. We are trying to legitimately help you to make a better aural and financial decision.

Guess you conveniently skipped over that.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
not making fun of you. i'm making fun of the amp.

you could do a lot better.

but if you want a half stack then you gotta get a half stack.
Quote by guitarplaya161
I'd like a half stack so I can get a bigger range of/better tone.

Not good logic man. What you want is quality, not size. For that price you can get a 20 watt valve amp that will sound much better and be more versatile than a massive, poor quality amp. You DO NOT need a half stack to have a good tone. I've been playing a small fender combo today that blows any tone I've ever heard from an MG (I've owned one and played about 4) out of the water. Listen to people man
My Soundcloud
Page 1 of 3