Page 1 of 2
So Pit, my stepmom wants me to learn touchtyping. It seems like quite the time consumer, and most people I know don't seem to have benefited from it. Is it an essential skill to learn? I'm already a fairly fast typer, and I'm debating on whether it's worth the time I could devote to other important stuff. What are your opinions?
''googled it''

Not worth it.
Devote your time on more important stuff.
- - - - - - - - - - -
I'm taking it in school. It sucks.
It's boring.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
What the hell is touchtyping and why is it important?
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
You have to be able to force yourself to use a new, slower method or typing for a while, so it takes a bit of discipline. But I'd say it's worth it.
It's using the homerow keys (asdf, jkl; ). I can type without looking at the keyboard, but she says I won't get a job if I can't touchtype.
Touch typing's easy

Quote by ChamsRock
It's using the homerow keys (asdf, jkl; ). I can type without looking at the keyboard, but she says I won't get a job if I can't touchtype.

A job as what?
Obviously you're probably not gonna get a job if the job heavily relies on typing on computers but that's about it.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The way I learned in 4th grade was by typing out "selling rune scimmy's" over and over again in the banks.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Get a job in something that does not require touchtyping ... unless it is your goal in life to have an office job.
- - - - - - - - - - -
You can get a job without it. It looks better on resumes if you have some sort of business education though.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by ChamsRock

Unless you're a programmer or a court stenographer, it probably won't matter.
How do you not know that already. I learned touch typing in third grade.

On topic, yes it's definitely worth it.

Edit:
Quote by ChamsRock

Nevermind, if you can type without looking at the keys (not sure how though without using some form of touchtyping) then that's all you need. The main benefit is being able to type up something you're reading without having to keep looking back at the keyboard.
Last edited by samick007 at Dec 12, 2011,
Probably should've made a poll, but whatever. It seems as though it's worth it, so I guess I'll start soon. Thanks for the answers.
Quote by Hanaaaah!
Unless you're a programmer or a court stenographer, it probably won't matter.

And even with programming, it doesn't really matter. But don't they use a different type of keyboard in court? The same kind they use for closed captioning on TV shows?

But yeah, TS. I don't see how it will keep you from getting a job. It's just a nice skill.
▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■
Touch typing? That's typing without looking at your keyboard? I thought everyone could do that. Learn that shizz, it's not even hard. I apparently learned it subconsciously.

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Years of typing in the dark, when you can't see the keyboard anyway, as a teen has taught me. You'll not even realise you're doing it.

Yeah, that might have done it.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by tcg32428
And even with programming, it doesn't really matter. But don't they use a different type of keyboard in court? The same kind they use for closed captioning on TV shows?

But yeah, TS. I don't see how it will keep you from getting a job. It's just a nice skill.

The only other keyboard I know of is Dvorak (spelling?), but it's just a different layout.
It's boring as hell, but after about one month of taking a touch-typing class, I can type at about 73 words per minute. Not to say I couldn't have done it on my own, but learning it is certainly useful
Not exactly a frequent poster.
Do it. All the ladies love a man who doesn't look at where his fingers are going.

It's like learning to play the guitar without looking, only more delicate.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
People still don't know how to touch type? The fuck?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by SkepsisMetal

I actually hit Z, X and C all with my right index finger, although I can still touchtype despite how inefficient that is.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Meh. I was taught the homerow stuff in 4th or 5th grade. Nowadays I only type with my entire left hand, and my right index and middle fingers. I use my pinky for shift and backspace.

I can do about 80-90 wpm with about 1 or 2% error, so it works just fine.
Quote by Hanaaaah!
The only other keyboard I know of is Dvorak (spelling?), but it's just a different layout.

I looked it up and the one I'm talking about is called a stenotype machine. It may only be used in the US, though, so that could be why you've never heard of it. I'd never heard of the Dvorak, to be honest.
Quote by MAC2322
I actually hit Z, X and C all with my right index finger, although I can still touchtype despite how inefficient that is.

That sounds incredibly inefficient.

It's embarrassing if you can't touchtype. Honestly, if someone sits there pecking each key with their pointer fingers I automatically assume, "moron." Can't help it. And what do you know, a lot of the times it holds true.

EDIT: Someone should repost that wpm test again.

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by GibsonMan321

The way I learned in 4th grade was by typing out "selling rune scimmy's" over and over again in the banks.

Pretty much yeah.

I would buy full rune sets for 120K, individual parts, and sell them completed for 200k. Was good business for a F2P.
It really doesn't take all that long to get accustomed to it. Sure you probably won't be as fast now but speed will come with time without really having to practice it.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
It's embarrassing if you can't touchtype. Honestly, if someone sits there pecking each key with their pointer fingers I automatically assume, "moron." Can't help it. And what do you know, a lot of the times it holds true.

EDIT: Someone should repost that wpm test again.

WPM Test
I've taught myself to hen-peck the keyboard without looking, really only using my index and middle fingers :P Used to piss off my teacher when she made us try to learn touchtyping, cause I'd get like 40 words per minute, and she'd watch me hen-peck and be like "Do it right!" :P
Words per minute (WPM) 95
Keystrokes 512
Correct words 92
Wrong words 4

Pfft.
In my defence, I'm laid in bed with the laptop on my chest, it's very ackward to type like this.

I can never tell whether I'm looking at it or not. When I think about it, I look at the keyboard, but I'm pretty sure I don't otherwise.
read a book instead. unless you're looking to take a job with tons of typing, you don't need it.

they made us use a program in middle school to learn it, but the program was messed up and when you got 100% accuracy, it printed out a 0%

naturally, the entire class caught on quickly to the fact that if you just held the spacebar through the whole test and got a 0%, you could just tell the teacher you got a 100, and move on to more important things. such as flash games and using a keyboard shortcut to make the screen flip upside down and leaving it that way, and then find out that the school IT guy didin't know how to fix it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug

Boom!

When I'm actually trying, I can only get around 60 wpm. Not awesome, but not bad either.
Words per minute (WPM): 71
Keystrokes : 406
Correct words: 72
Wrong words: 6

^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
To be fair, I do type with all my fingers, and I don't look at the keyboard, I just don't bother with the homerow stuff. I just got 62 WPM on that test, too.
Page 1 of 2