A lot of the time, when I try to strum a bar chord up and down, my pick will kind of get "caught" in the strings, especially when I'm muting the chord. Any tips?
Last edited by Ultra Purple at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by Readvacancy
Use less of the pick. Are you digging in?

This. Also, hold the pick tighter. Could help.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Also, the thickness of the pick will have a lot to do with how "chunky" your strumming sounds. Thinner picks strum easier.
Are you tucking in all your fingers (like a closed fist) or are you just holding the pick between the thumb and first finger while letting the other fingers hang loose?

Having all the fingers together can balance against the stronger thumb and give you more control.

But, yeah, it sounds like you're not being light enough on the strings. That's also a good way to break more strings than you need to.
Quote by sroze478
Also, the thickness of the pick will have a lot to do with how "chunky" your strumming sounds. Thinner picks strum easier.

This.
You are indeed digging in as others have suggested. You can strum with any pick, just a stiffer pick requires a lighter touch. Work on simply raking your pick lightly across the strings. Let your hand be fluid. Keep a hold on the pick, but do not fight the strings; let the pick flow over the strings and adjust your hand as necessary.

Be water, my friend.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
You are indeed digging in as others have suggested. You can strum with any pick, just a stiffer pick requires a lighter touch. Work on simply raking your pick lightly across the strings. Let your hand be fluid. Keep a hold on the pick, but do not fight the strings; let the pick flow over the strings and adjust your hand as necessary.

Be water, my friend.

Yeah, I found I get a meaner tone using 2.0mm Dunlop Gatorgrip picks lightly than using thin picks hard. Also less wear and tear on the guitars. Too bad I learned that on a sunburst MIA Strat instead of some of the cheaper, later aquisitions.
I'd actually suggest learning to strum with a thicker pick, flimsy thin picks can bend and make you less accurate on single notes.