Hey guys. So what's happening is, my G String on my Original Floyd Rose won't intonate. It's still too sharp, and I have the saddle pulled as far back as it can go into the trem. I've also tried getting larger and larger G Strings (ha...), but I really just don't want to resort to buying a thick, wound string. Is there anything else that I can do?

Thanks!
New strings?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Yeah, I mentioned in the post that I've tried heavier and heavier string gauges. I normally change strings about once a month anyways, but thanks man.
How far is it off?

The G string is kind of an anomaly. That string will always be a little "off", no matter what you do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've heard the G string is always supposed to be a little sharp on the intonation, could be wrong. But yeah, something about the weight distribution on the neck or something just ****s with the G string. My least favorite string, hands down.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Offworld92
How far is it off?

The G string is kind of an anomaly. That string will always be a little "off", no matter what you do.

Quote by Unispex
Hey guys. So what's happening is, my G String on my Original Floyd Rose won't intonate. It's still too sharp, and I have the saddle pulled as far back as it can go into the trem. I've also tried getting larger and larger G Strings (ha...), but I really just don't want to resort to buying a thick, wound string. Is there anything else that I can do?

Thanks!

Just play your guitar.
Quote by Silent_Scream1

Just play your guitar.

I do, but it's not great when things don't sound like they're supposed to.

The G string is always about a quarter of the way up from a perfect G, so is that normal? I've been down-tuning the string until all of the notes match up.
The G can be either a wound or a plain string, but is most commonly plain so you can bend on it easier. Sometime a wound G will sound better intonated but it's a trade off for playability.
If it helps any, what I do is tune all strings with a tuner until they're *technically* correct, and then I go back and tune the G with my ear.

For some reason the *correct* tuning for the G string isn't pleasing to the human ear. I read some technical explanation a long time ago, but tl;dr is just tune by ear until you're happy with what you hear.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Have you got the screw in the furthest back hole? Don't forget there's two holes for each saddle on the floyd setup.
Well I've been told that a thicker string will even the intonation out, and wound is pretty much as thick as it gets. That's the only reason I was thinking of trying it, thanks man.

Yes, I have it pushed back literally as far as possible. I suppose I'll just live with it, it's not really a huge deal haha. Thanks a lot for the help, guys.
Quote by Silent_Scream1

Just play your guitar.

I'd agree with that if it was towards someone worrying about their amps tone or similar BS... But it's pretty important to have your notes somewhat in tune before you play
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
Unless you get a compensated nut (expensive and hard to find for a Floyd locking one), the G string will never intonate perfectly. Even with a compensated the G string is usually 3-5 cents flat or sharp at the 12th fret. It's just a bitch of a string and something you have to learn to live with. Tuning it with the string fretted at the 5th or 7th frets and tuning it to C or D there may work out better, it will then usually be a very tiny bit flat open but not quite so sharp fretted across the rest of the neck. Or tune it to G at the 12th fret if playing higher up is more important to you than lower down.
Giggity.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by poppameth
http://earvana.com/floydrose.htm

Not exactly hard to find a compensated Floyd nut now, but selection is definitely limited and price is insane.

I've never seen those before. That's ****ing awesome. The Earvana nut on my MH-400 is amazing - I can't really see going back to a regular nut now. Knowing that they also make FR versions is good to know.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by poppameth
http://earvana.com/floydrose.htm

Not exactly hard to find a compensated Floyd nut now, but selection is definitely limited and price is insane.

That's awesome man, I'll definitely consider buying one of those... And I assume it just shortens the scale length of certain strings (G-String?) slightly or what?
Look very closely at it. It's hard to see in that photo, but it shortens some strings by quite a bit but lengthens other by just a small amount.
Well I'll have to look into it some more, but I'm pretty much busting for this nut haha.