Hey Guys, I'm going to be playing live with some friends in front of a 150ish person crowd, and I need some advice on what to do. If it helps at all, we play Parkway Drive, Born Of Osiris, Between The Buried And Me, Unearth, etc. I have the following gear:

Fender Standard Jazz Bass - Tuned to Drop B
Gallien-Krueger MB500 Head
Gallien-Krueger Neo 4x10 Cabinet
Ampeg 610HLF Cabinet
BBE Sonic Stomp - in effects loop
MXR 10 Band EQ - in effects loop

I normally use everything except the Ampeg (as I've just bought it used), so I'm curious to know the following:
1. What should I set my Ohms to, in order to use both cabinets?
2. What would be the easiest way/best product to use in order to send more of the lows/low mids to the Ampeg, and more of the mids/highs/distortion to the Gallien-Krueger?
As for the ohms, it depends on the ohms ratings of the cabinets. Two eight-ohm cabinets equals a four-ohm load; two four-ohm cabinets equals a two-ohm load, etc. You don't want to drop below your amplifier's minimum ohms load rating. You will damage your amplifier if you do.

If you want to split the frequencies between two amplifiers, then you will need a crossover unit for bi-amping.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Can you recommend a crossover or two? Thanks for the help. I guess the Gallien-Krueger is an 8ohm cab, while the Ampeg is a 4ohm cab. What can I do about that?
Last edited by iamdabroodwich at Dec 12, 2011,
Running an 8ohm and 4ohm cabinet together will result in a resistance lower than 4ohms. The resistance level is just above 2ohms when worked out mathematically.

So the greater power draw could potentially damage your amp.

I think this applies for both: Using one output to go into both cabinets (daisy-chained) and using both outputs to go to both cabinets separately. However, I'm not entirely sure and I'm sure someone here could clarify this.
Edit Actually, running the cabs separately from two outputs will result in greater strain on your amp and having the two cabs together (daisy-chained) results in more resistance. Which makes sense as that's series.
I think I need clarification on this aha

As far as practical volume purposes. Using your head and the Ampeg cab will result in more volume due to the lower impedance and more speaker surface area.

Hope this helps a little.

Love the Low end
Last edited by Zeelod at Dec 13, 2011,
So you don't think there's any way for me to run both cabinets at the same time? Since the 610hlf is used (and I got it for 200 USD) I could perhaps sell it for another neo410?
To be honest, I don't think you'll need two cabs, I've run my Ampeg 410hlf at bigger gigs and had plenty of volume to spare, and It's always a good idea to keep your rig as small as possible. It doesn't matter how much you trust your gear, the more shit you bring, the more shit can (and eventually will) go wrong, get stolen, break ect.

Pretty much every metal show I've played at I've used my Stingray5 (in drop A) a tuner, GK MB500 Head and my Ampeg 410hlf cab, and I've gotten more than enough complements on my sound and rig.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
For 150ish people? Yeah, you could probably just do with the 4x10, or the 6x10.

You would also need a separate amp if you wanted to send different frequencies to different cabs.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
So I'm guessing everyone thinks the 610 is the better option of the two. Would I be better off just running 2 GK 410's, or perhaps just an Ampeg 610hlf, or just a 410hlf. Ampeg advertises that the 410hlf is tuned down to 28hz, but I'm curious if the 610 is as well. Sorry this is turning into a bit of a Q&A.
Quote by iamdabroodwich
So I'm guessing everyone thinks the 610 is the better option of the two. Would I be better off just running 2 GK 410's, or perhaps just an Ampeg 610hlf, or just a 410hlf. Ampeg advertises that the 410hlf is tuned down to 28hz, but I'm curious if the 610 is as well. Sorry this is turning into a bit of a Q&A.

the reason the 410hlf can handle such low frequencies without turning into mud is that there are hollowed ports in the bottom, look at your 610 and see if there are empty holes there and it should answer your question.
but either cab should be loud enough.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
@Chantastic: Finally, someone understands it.

@Mr.Cuddles: Yeah, there three holes at the bottom, just like the 410hlf. Does anyone think I should just sell the 610, and buy another GK Neo 4x10?
Quote by iamdabroodwich

@Mr.Cuddles: Yeah, there three holes at the bottom, just like the 410hlf. Does anyone think I should just sell the 610, and buy another GK Neo 4x10?

Perfect, I'd imagine that your ampeg would have a clearer low end than the GK (which is great for the low tunings you'll be using), but I'd advise against buying a second cab for gigs. Any show that's large enough to NEED two 4x10 cabs in order for you to be heard is a show where you'll just be miced, or ran into the P.A. anyways which means you'll have hauled a second cab to a show for no reason, don't waste your money, just decide which cab gives you a better tone and use it.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)