do you bend the string ever so slightly when doing pull offs to give more volume by flicking it off instead of just leaving your fingers off the strings? by bend i mean not even a 1/4 bend. Or are you supposed to pull off with no change in pitch of the strings? This applies to trills also.
You have to do the flick thing to make a noise. It's effectively replucking the string.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I do not 'bend off'. I only do that when I want the sound of a string changing pitch before being released to another note. You can 'flick' the string with your fretting finger as if you were plucking it to make it louder, but I find it unnecessary, myself.

One doesn't need to do that to get a strong pull-off, though. The string has a lot of vibrational energy when you hit it... to pull off, you just need to lift your finger very quickly so the string has enough energy to continue vibrating. If you don't lift fast enough, your finger will mute the string. That's why pull-offs often sound quieter, because you'll always lose some of that energy. But then again, that's what they're for, they're a form of legato playing and they add dynamics... if you wanted it to ring loudly, you'd just pick it.

That's all there is to it, really.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Silent Murder
You have to do the flick thing to make a noise. It's effectively replucking the string.

This.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Yeah, the whole point of a pull off is that you pluck the string with your finger as you leave. Generally you want to avoid actually changing the pitch - you can push slightly with the other finger to keep the string steady.
Quote by Dayn
I do not 'bend off'. I only do that when I want the sound of a string changing pitch before being released to another note. You can 'flick' the string with your fretting finger as if you were plucking it to make it louder, but I find it unnecessary, myself.

One doesn't need to do that to get a strong pull-off, though. The string has a lot of vibrational energy when you hit it... to pull off, you just need to lift your finger very quickly so the string has enough energy to continue vibrating. If you don't lift fast enough, your finger will mute the string. That's why pull-offs often sound quieter, because you'll always lose some of that energy. But then again, that's what they're for, they're a form of legato playing and they add dynamics... if you wanted it to ring loudly, you'd just pick it.

That's all there is to it, really.

It's called a pull off, not a lift off.

It sounds like you're playing on really high gain/distortion. It seems to work if you do, but as soon as you move to a clean channel the lift off sound is so much quieter.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)