how do u know if youre really doing something of value or just being an ass?

admit it; whenever you first put on new strings and you play your guitar before tuning it up, you find sounds you like. and if you focused on it you could find things you find complimentary to those atypical sounds. and if you put something together of those sounds in some manner you think works, youd end up with a unique sounding song. but how do you know if what you create is good or not?

im guessing the composer cannot care what the answer to this questions is, and just know that what was made is something of value in a personal way. but u dont need to be good to do that. i suppose you just play what you like and say "nuts to the rest". *writing questions helps think of an answer

im no art expert, so what say yall?
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
What? I don't think you can compare being avant garde ith "being an ass." It's not like you're one or the other...

Your example is what, alternate tunings? A lot of musicians specifically detune their guitars to get different sounds and have been for MANY years, I wouldn't call that avant garde by any means. Maybe atypical with regard to popular music.

As for quality of the work you produce, we have to assume that the composer is turning out work that was conscientiously created that is to say they aren't attempting to make something of poor quality. I think for the most part you need that belief that composers are turning out work they consider to be quality and therefor in some respects should be considered "good." Whether these pieces actually have artistic value in the grand scheme of things is hard to determine. Good is such a subjective term, we just have evidence of what is still in the repertoire today.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
What? I don't think you can compare being avant garde ith "being an ass." It's not like you're one or the other...

Your example is what, alternate tunings? A lot of musicians specifically detune their guitars to get different sounds and have been for MANY years, I wouldn't call that avant garde by any means. Maybe atypical with regard to popular music.

As for quality of the work you produce, we have to assume that the composer is turning out work that was conscientiously created that is to say they aren't attempting to make something of poor quality. I think for the most part you need that belief that composers are turning out work they consider to be quality and therefor in some respects should be considered "good." Whether these pieces actually have artistic value in the grand scheme of things is hard to determine. Good is such a subjective term, we just have evidence of what is still in the repertoire today.

i was just being anecdotal with the out of tune example and was not trying to suggest it was an original ideas on its own. in fact i was using it as example that i thot most ppld relate to. and i suggested that the work created should be put together in a way the composer thinks works. but as the composer how can you really jusdge yourself beyond your personal connection with your creation.
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
'Eh? If it sounds cool, do it. Unless you're sledgehammering babies to sample their screams. Only do it for progressive psytrance.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Putting a question mark at the start of your post title indicates to me that your mind is quite comfortable thinking in an avant garde way. Chances are that if you are thinking something is cool, you're not being an ass. Keep going. Be free.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
I think my signature says it all
There's enough bands out there playing correctly ; we don't need another band playing exactly the same as everyone else ; we need people to do things that are weird - King Buzzo
Play amplified through a car muffler with a Card board slide. That's pretty unique
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
If you study a bit, you'll find that it's difficult to come up with anything truly unique. So much has been tried.....
Different turnings and temperaments, "prepared" instruments, weird electronics, fiddle bows...

Most of these things turned out to be novelties at best; some have achieved popularity. Who ever thought that "scratching" vinyl discs would become a pop-music staple?
Experiment...Have fun.